News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Salanewt's Sprites and Graphics® (You can join in too)

Started by Salanewt, 21, February, 2010, 09:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxiPower

@ Jamie

Yea you must of misunderstood me as in my first message as i did your last message :_)

Aile~♥

@Maxi: Although, you gotta admit, having Aaron show up everywhere could be quite entertaining. Basically, make him major plot-unimportant NPC: He follows the party around for hoots and giggles, and every time you meet him he discusses the plot and disses everyone.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Griever

Oh well switching between already in game sprites will be fun too.

I would put Garets sister in every town since she is angry at him for ruining her flowers.
but again having his brother every where will be fun too ><

Salanewt > your Yoshi sprite is nice, for some reason it doesn't look like a GBA or GS sprite ...... maybe the coloring or something I'm not sure about ...

Keep up the good work ...... the sprite is already good enough ......

Salanewt

Cool, thanks. I shall have more sprites ready later on, and then have a whole spritesheet by some time next year (although I am busy playing around with something really fun right now, which is keeping me from spriting again).

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Griever

Cool ....
You can't say you are busy with something that is keeping you from spriting and not say what that thing is .............

I will try to learn spriting since it seems interesting ....

BTW you are making this sprite for a hack? or just because you are a Yoshi fan?

Salanewt

1: True enough. I am practicing with animation data in Superstar Saga, editing now and custom later. However, this does not have anything to do with Golden Sun, which is partially why I did not mention it before.

2: It is a nice little hobby, have fun!

3: Both. I am a huge Yoshi fan, but I decided to replace Disco Sun with a Mario/Yoshi themed hack. Oh, and I wanted a new avatar as well.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

PC, and NPC walk animations both contain 6 frames.

The amount of directions a sprite set has is controlled by a very simple to edit value stored with the other general data for the sprite set.  Current versions of the editor already display this data below the sprite in the sprite viewer.  It will all become editable once sprite editing is added.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

Oh, 6 frames, right! I guess I need another frame before that direction is finished then.

Cool, I never noticed. But adding directions will be really cool. In fact, that reminds me of something that I want to do...

Have a nice day.

Griever

Coloring sprites is really    :irate:

For now I'm trying to color Garet into a Blue version .....
Will post what i get when i finish and see what suggestions you can give ><

Atrius (He/Him)

Open up the sprite viewer, and use palette swap #3  :happy:
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Griever

Ha that's too easy .. i want to learn sprite editing on my own first ... then will use the editor ^_^ after i get used to it.

Salanewt

Sounds cool. Also, I would keep Atrius' advice in mind when you want to try different techniques. For example, orange and green Mars djinn look a bit different, not to mention that they sometimes look like more than palette swaps. In fact, I nearly used the green palette swap for some Yoshi body parts (kind of ugly, but it was a neat idea at the time).

For now, good luck on Blue Garet!

Have a nice day.

Griever

I did keep his advise in mind ^_^. i will post the sprite when i finish it.... And i need to keep the color differences in mind ..... (this is what you meant right?)
Well Yoshi sprite is cool ><

Salanewt

Cool, and thanks. Quick question, but how is it doing so far?

Have a nice day.

Griever

Oh really fine .....
I'm just gonna be hairless in a few more days >< [jk]

I finish him twice except its .... not looking nice ... i need to work on shades and stuff
But i must say i like this so i don't think i will stop learning it ><
Also i want to try and make some sprites for the characters I'm creating.

BtW what program you use for editing?
And what advice you can give for moving sprites ... like these  :Garet:  :MarsDjinni:  :MarsSet:

Griever

Errrr this is just too big for a Golden Sun sprite .... and i have no idea on how to start fixing it ><
Should i have one of the GS sprites as a base and change it or just start from Scratch? and most of the clothes design will be gone XD

Salanewt

I had missed your previous post. I used to use a program called Photosuite, but I did not care for this one glitch that permanently messed up two of my main files (I used to use it for transparency on .GIF files). Now I use Paint, and Gimp for transparency. For animated ones, you need to make each sprite/frame of the animation. You then need a program like unFREEz to animate them.

As for myself, I almost always use another one as a base. Then again, I also tend to combine multiple bases. I like how they turn out about 90% of the time when I use a base. Scratch can work if you plan on making really small sprites, like mice or chicks. Oh, did you use the correct palette for that? If you did, then you might be able to re-size the image. It will be squished if you do so, but you can probably get close enough to the usual proportions, not to mention that some detail will still remain. That way, you don't have to start completely from scratch.

Rolina

I use Paint.NET for transparency.  It's actually much quicker to load up, too.  I grew to dislike gimp, personally.

Griever

Well i have Paint (lol), Paint.net and Gimp so i think i have enough drawing programs ><
Hmm so i will get this unfreez and see how the sprite i made turns out.

And then i will go with a base and see how it turns out. I don't think i used the correct one ... although I'm not sure how to know? If i can do that then i won't have to re-draw right?

Salanewt

Ooh, Paint.NET is a good one too. Anyway, a good base would be a sprite that already exists. For yours, I think that a combination of Isaac and/or sprite 192 might work (Isaac for overall body, 192 for the clothes). If you can get away with resizing and fixing the details, then you will not need a base. Also, you used the same palette that Golden Sun uses, right?