News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Salanewt's Sprites and Graphics® (You can join in too)

Started by Salanewt, 21, February, 2010, 09:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

Hello everyone. For the past two days, I have been working on making portraits (which will hopefully be Golden Sun compatible) for Mario characters. I have only made 5 portraits so far, with assistance to make them better.

Here are some portraits:

Edit: A lot of old Imageshack ones, I'll see if I can hunt them down on my laptop and upload them someday.

[spoiler=Old Stuff]Yoshi:
Peach:
Atrius' Peach: (I prefer this one)
Bowser:
Toad:
Luigi:
Mario:
Donkey Kong:
Mallow:

More portraits coming soon. For now, here is one made by MegaDarkNero!

MegaDarkNero's Relind: [/spoiler]

Stuff! Lots of older posts in here too; this post alone is over five years old!

Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Peach just looks... Odd, to me... But the rest are awesome!

Atrius (He/Him)

[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Neko-chan

Those portraits look good, Salanewt! I may be completely out of the loop here but are they for a Mario based RPG?
(insert smart remark here)

Salanewt

Well, when I am done with Mario, Peach will be fixed. Thanks though!

Thanks Atrius. Yours is really good (better than mine).

Thanks Neko. Yep, they are for a Mario based RPG.

The problem with Peach is that her reduced base image was extremely blurry, unlike most of the other characters. This made it harder to make every part of her one colour (each segment), and then add shades and different pixels to the outline.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Oh, much better, Atrius!  That should work well for peach.

How are you going to approach Geno and Mallow?  They do have a different art style than the one you're currently doing, so it'd not be all that easy...

Salanewt

Actually, they almost all had a different art style, with Peach and Bowser being the closest (and Mario is close as well, but the shading is used differently for the base). Hopefully, I should be able to make Mallow and Geno easily, provided I can find a 2D image of them (3D is fine as well, but then I try to make the new more like the original, and makes it more likely for me to mess up). I have found images of them, but they are 3D. Luckily, Mallow looks doable, and Geno should be possible too.

Oh yes, Mario is coming much sooner, and so is a slightly revamped Peach, based more on Atrius' revamp (with some slight differences, mostly only by pixel).

As for Mallow and Geno... You can probably expect them before Wario, but after Donkey Kong. They will definitely be before regular enemies, like Goomba and Koopa (I will have a few of regular enemies).

Have a nice day.

leaf

Hm... I think I like the style on your peach better, but I like the expression on atrius's better.

Mario looks sorta weird with his nose/mustache. It's like you were trying to make the mustache into a smile.

Really liking the DK. I think his nose could use a little more shading, though... it looks like there's a hole in his face leading to the background right now.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Salanewt

Quote from: leafgreen386 on 22, February, 2010, 11:06:11 PM
Hm... I think I like the style on your peach better, but I like the expression on atrius's better.

Mario looks sorta weird with his nose/mustache. It's like you were trying to make the mustache into a smile.

Really liking the DK. I think his nose could use a little more shading, though... it looks like there's a hole in his face leading to the background right now.

1. Thanks. I know, Atrius gave Peach a very good expression (which I found a bit harder to do than Luigi).

2. I know. I tried to add a little bit of gray to his mustache, but it definitely has to be fixed. At one point as well, I noticed something to be wrong with his eye? I barely notice it anymore, so it is probably just my imagination.

3. Sweet, thanks! By the way, I stretched him a tiny bit, so it will be a bit easier to give him more shading now (just stretched a little bit vertically). I will probably use a darker shade of Yellow for the background too, since his face does almost seem to match.

I will upload the fixed Mario and DK when I upload Mallow. Unfortunately, my time tonight is almost over, so I might have to wait until tomorrow.

Have a nice day.

Atrius (He/Him)

His eye on the left could maybe use a bit of tweaking.  The problem seems to mostly be the nose though, it looks less round, and more sausage-like.

Donkey Kong... I think you cropped the source image too high, the bottom of his face is cut off.  Also depending on his personality/allegiance his expression might not be right for him.  He looks menacing, even though he's usually a good guy.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Aile~♥

You should do a portrait for DK where his face is almost partially hidden by him carrying his Coconut Gun.(as in, move his face higher up in the portrait, and put the Coconut Gun just in front of his mouth)
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

QuoteDonkey Kong... I think you cropped the source image too high, the bottom of his face is cut off.  Also depending on his personality/allegiance his expression might not be right for him.  He looks menacing, even though he's usually a good guy.

True. In fact, the way I stretched it, his head is closer to the top now, and his eyes are a bit wider (I also added nostrils, which I forgot about before). You are right about cropping it incorrectly, since the bottom of his bouth is missing. I can easily add in a few pixels to make it look better though (nice thing with Photosuite is that I can copy images just by dragging a selection, which sometimes makes it easier to add more at the cost of a few pixels of empty space).

As for normally being the good guy. This is true, but there are some comic books during which Donkey Kong seems to team up with Bowser and Wario to fight Mario (when I find out which one it is, I will give the name). I do need to play more Donkey Kong games though, the newest one I own is Donkey Kong 64...

QuoteYou should do a portrait for DK where his face is almost partially hidden by him carrying his Coconut Gun.

I could... I will probably do things like this and Robo-Piers once I am done the ones which I want to do.

Have a nice day.

Atrius (He/Him)

I'm aware Donkey Kong was originally created specifically as Mario's foe in the first game either of them appeared in, so if you want to make him a bad guy that's just fine, I only wanted to make sure that was the direction you were going with him.

Salanewt

Well, the path that I am planning for his portrait is probably a protagonist-like character. Afer all, I have fixed it a bit to make him look better (though some minor edits are required).

Mario's nose is like a sausage? I can try to fix it when I get back from school then (I am only home for lunch).

Have a nice day.

Rolina

DK would make a horrible villain.  Remember, it's CRANKY KONG that was Mario's original opponent, in the original DK game.  DK himself?  He's from DK Jr.  In the DKC games he's all grown up.  Now, if you remember the plot behind the recent Mario and DK games, he's not as bad an enemy as Bowser.  Bowser kidnaps royalty.  DK wanted TOYS.  DK is a cameo at best, I figure.  Same as how Link, Samus, and the F-Zero racers were done in SMRPG.

I think Mario looks fine.  The nose part is great, IMO.  I guess we'll have Mallow, Geno, Daisy, Rosalina, etc... after this.  Oh!  But the Koopalings first!  Totally!

Salanewt

Quote from: Role on 23, February, 2010, 01:20:21 PM
DK would make a horrible villain.  Remember, it's CRANKY KONG that was Mario's original opponent, in the original DK game.  DK himself?  He's from DK Jr.  In the DKC games he's all grown up.  Now, if you remember the plot behind the recent Mario and DK games, he's not as bad an enemy as Bowser.  Bowser kidnaps royalty.  DK wanted TOYS.  DK is a cameo at best, I figure.  Same as how Link, Samus, and the F-Zero racers were done in SMRPG.

I think Mario looks fine.  The nose part is great, IMO.  I guess we'll have Mallow, Geno, Daisy, Rosalina, etc... after this.  Oh!  But the Koopalings first!  Totally!

That is true about Donkey Kong (and Cranky Kong). Luckily, the newer version of his portrait makes him look a little less evil than before. As for Mario's Nose... Thanks! I did modify it slightly though, but just so it looks like it is attached to the centre of his face. Mallow is next, but there will be a few characters before Geno (not too many though). I can give the Koopalings a shot, and Superstar Saga can give me the best face angles (well, probably). Also, I will be designing several other portraits, including Link and stuff (which does not have to be used). Non-Mario related characters will probably come later.

Oh yeah, Mallow is almost done, but he is not quite the same style as the rest of the characters (looks more like Golden Sun + DK). This is because I was dithering some of the pixels to make his body look more like a cloud, and also with the shades I am using.

Have a nice day.

leaf

Mario... not only does his nose look like a peanut, but he looks like a mobster. I would just completely redo that portion of his face...

Mallow looks good, but doesn't really match the style of the others. I think part of it has to do with his size relative to the portrait.

Luigi looks amazing.

DK looks great except for that strip of yellow on him... it just looks like it could do with some better shading there. I know you have a color limit, so it might be difficult, but that's the only part of the image that's really sticking out right now as a sore spot.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Salanewt

Mario... not only does his nose look like a peanut, but he looks like a mobster. I would just completely redo that portion of his face...

Just noticed it, thanks. I will try to fix it for when I upload Robo-Piers.

QuoteMallow looks good, but doesn't really match the style of the others. I think part of it has to do with his size relative to the portrait.

I agree, but I find him difficult to do without making him look like a blob of butter, since he actually looks like a cloud. I can try again though, possible with darker outlining and less dithering.

QuoteLuigi looks amazing.

Thanks!

QuoteDK looks great except for that strip of yellow on him... it just looks like it could do with some better shading there. I know you have a color limit, so it might be difficult, but that's the only part of the image that's really sticking out right now as a sore spot.

I just noticed that too, thanks. I shall try to fix him as well, since I can easily do so (by adding a little bit more shading).

Have a nice day.

leaf

Well now that the nose is fixed, mario's eyes make him look like he's in some sort of trance lol

On DK... I think what's really bothering me is that the yellow sorta just forms a crescent blob on his face. It looks great from a distance, but if you look at it up close, it looks sorta awkward, since there isn't enough detail in that portion. Even if it's at the expense of one of the colors in his fur, I think it'd help if there was a second color in there to help ease that part in.
[spoiler=quotes]
---
---
---
---
---
---

Salanewt

The thing with DK's palette is that he only has 3 hair colours (the fourth is exclusive for his tie). Removing one of them would not work well... What I could try to do is make that section above his eyes slightly thinner, and avoid using the lighter shades. In fact, I think I will do this once I am done with Larry Koopa (I have started working on them already, though I might take a break between two or three Koopalings at a time to make a different character).

Have a nice day.