News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Salanewt's Sprites and Graphics® (You can join in too)

Started by Salanewt, 21, February, 2010, 09:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leaf

It's not the eyes that are the problem, though. It's the nose. The eyes look fine.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Salanewt

Oh, oops. I thought you meant the eyes before, so... Yeah, I can very easily shade in his face more using the colours that I have (6 shades, two of them are only for extra shading, like near his mouth, or on the tiny bit of his chest that is visible).

As for portraits... Larry Koopa is next. This will probably be followed by Morton and Wendy, but then I will take a break from Koopalings (some will have wands, others will not, depending on the widths of their heads).

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

The only thing I see wrong with the DK portrait is color selection.  Make the yellow something like R=248, G=208, B=128 and it'll be fine.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

That is just about what I have now, according to the programs that I am using and I am still not sure which other colour to use. Don't worry though, I just fixed it by reducing the amount of that shade and also by using just a tiny bit of dithering. I will upload it with the three Koopalings... Which I might not finish until later tomorrow or early Thursday (if then, it will be uploaded later).

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

WHOA, Mallow stands way the heck out.  Like, way different art style compared to the others.  May wanna work on that a bit.

Salanewt

I noticed. Well, I did fix DK's yellow crescent on his face, as well as make Mallow a tiny bit more like the others, but my computer restarted when I was sleeping. Luckily, I saved after I fixed Mario, so I still have all of them (though I lost what I started of Larry Koopa). The problem with him (and DK slightly) is that I started with 3D bases. Reducing them does make them closer to 2D, but Mallow's base looked sort of like what it does now, but with more colours. Anyway, I just re-fixed DK, and will do some touch-ups on Mallow before I have to go.

Have a nice day.

Edit: I have decided to add portraits to this post until I have about five in here. The reason for this is because I am having strange screen twitching problems in the first post. Anyway, I will continue with some Mario portraits once I am done Lishy's portraits. Speaking of which...

Shion:
Kagra:
DK:
Mallow:

Have a nice day.

leaf

Wow. DK looks way better now. His mouth and to an extent his eyes still look a little strange when you look at him closely, though. But especially the mouth. It looks like someone just spread jelly over his face... or something like that. I think it's just the size of the smile, although maybe dk always had a freakishly large mouth. >_>

And I'm not sure what it is, but there's something about both dk's and yoshi's portraits that just seem a little bit off in regard to their eyes, and I'm having trouble placing my finger on exactly what it is (and I think it's a different problem on each of them at that). I'm guessing eyes are something pretty hard to do to make look natural, since even nintendo's artists have screwed them up in recent times (in BII, mario pretty much always looked mad instead of being more expression-neutral like he should've been).
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Salanewt

Thanks! Yeah, he normally does have a big mouth like that, and the shades which I selected do almost look like some sort of Raspberry Jelly or something, but I think they are fine (since there was not much else available that was appropriate). As for that yellow blob... I reduced its size a tiny bit, but I thought that changing the background to yellow would make the colours that looked yellow blend in better with his other shades. Unfortunately, that is also what more heavily defined the Raspberry Jelly, which I barely changed from the last portrait.

I agree that there is something a little different with DK's eyes, though they are fine. As for Yoshi, I only copied and modified an image when was by Nintendo, on a picture of "Yossy Island", the direct translation of the Japanese Yoshi's Island. I actually kind of like how Yoshi's eyes are like that, but I can see what you mean by how they look a bit stranger compared to today's standards (though they are actually closer to today's standards than the original base image).

Eyes tend to be quite difficult, and I honestly think that Kagra's eyes are a bit messed up as well. In fact, it was on Peach, Toad, Mario, and Lishy's two portraits that I had the most difficulty with eyes. Yoshi's are mostly easy to do, Bowser and DK's are in eye sockets instead of on the face, and Luigi was actually quite simple for some reason. Mallow only really has those black/dark grey blobs with the white lightsource reflections, so he was easy too. Shion is mostly using Mia's eyes, and I still have yet to find an alternative for Kagra... Toad was difficult because of how small they are, but his eyes have to match up with his mouth to give him a slight smile and to make him look friendly.

Have a nice day.

Rolina

Mallow's much better, though he still seems a little too 3-Dish compared to the others.  Then again, it's not like we've got 2D art of the guy to go off of, right?  I guess that's the best you can get with him... much better than the first one, that's for sure.

Hey, think you can do portraits for Aiden and Kari?  If you can do those... then I figure you'd be able to do any of the pics that we get for the Community Hack project.  It'd be nice to have portraits to go along with the names when we go into the polls...

Salanewt

Aiden and Kari? Sure, I can give it a go. There is still one more portrait that I should do for Lishy (forget who, but I have the name recorded). After that, I can make those characters.

About Mallow, thanks! Yeah, that is almost the most that I can do with him. I decided that the first background did not work very well, so I chose the second one (as well as changing a few pixels). The 3D-ish look is hard to get rid of without making him look like a sphere, since he is more like a cloud.

On a side note, I did finally notice a better shade for DK, so he does not exactly have Raspberry Jelly anymore... Now he has Marmalade.

DK:

Have a nice day.

Rolina

If you do a good enough job, I'll probably ask you to do the portraits for all 64 candidates.  Think you're up to the task?

Shouldn't be too hard, granted - it's not like we're dishing out the pics at mach speed.  Basically, when a final pic is done, make a portrait.  And if for some reason they have a goofy face (such as a certain dagger using mars adept), think you could fudge up a neutral expression one?

Salanewt

Sure, I can give them a try. I am currently busy with a few things (one of which is playing around with something, or at least attempting to), as well as working a bit on my short story. When I am done with them and Lishy's, then I shall start.

As for the next Nintendo portrait... I will either do Daisy, Toadsworth, a Koopaling, or I might try a Zelda one for a change.

Have a nice day.

Rolina

Do Daisy.  Then dominatri---er, I mean, possessed Daisy.

Salanewt

Daisy? She can come soon (since I do have March Break now, where I can sip some orange juice during my Cheech and Chong marathon). Possesed Daisy will be very interesting to do, and I do have some ideas on how to do her, which can go one of two ways:

Dark Bowser style: Skin and clothes take on a blue/purple colour and eyes become red, or...

Daisy looks meaner (like how Peach changed in Paper Mario 2) with different clothes.

To be honest, I like the Dark Bowser style more, but I can try them both if you want.

Lishy's portraits, on the other hand, are done. Menlo will probably need a little bit more work, but I think there is little I can do with Kagra (and it is mostly coincidence that Menlo looks similar to Shion).

Kagra:
Menlo: Edit: Removed due to not being ready in my opinion. Sorry.

Changes in Kagra since last update. She has red clothes instead of pink, and her eyes look a bit better. I also did a bit more with shading.

Have a nice day.

Mion Sonozaki

Hope you don't mind, but I did an edit

Still not so good, but meh

Salanewt

I don't mind. In fact, I think I like your eyes better. However, it looks like he is wearing eyeshadow or something. Pretty good edit otherwise.

Have a nice day.

Atrius (He/Him)

She's supposed to look fairly young, right?
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Mion Sonozaki

Yeah, but not exactly the most cheerful girl of the bunch ^

I do like the other touchups you did despite the facial features.

Atrius (He/Him)

So more like this then?

It's just a couple very subtle changes to affect the emotion she portrays.