News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Salanewt's Sprites and Graphics® (You can join in too)

Started by Salanewt, 21, February, 2010, 09:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoopa

He seems alright... it's just that the eyes seem off... along with his smile.
"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

Salanewt

Yeah, something does seem off with the eyes. Unfortunately, the image of the portrait from the snapshot that I took was angled, so that was why this was the best that I could do. I tried fixing the eyes, but it looked even funnier.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Salanewt

Seeing as it has been a while since my last post in here (or anyone's last post for that matter), I suppose I can post a new sprite that I made for the Sprites and Portraits section.

So, is there anything that I can improve on with him? I used a Super Mario RPG Yoshi as a base, slowly changing his shape to match the more modern Yoshi. This is a PC sprite, but the angle could also be used as an NPC sprite with the way that I did it.

Have a nice day.

Edit: And I already have his portrait! I definitely need more directions, which will come soon (later than Maxi's Uranus djinni, but sooner than Sheba's scythe or Young Link).

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Hoopa

He's pretty good. Imo though, he seems like something from an old snes game though. Kinda reminds me of the style some breath of fire enemies have...
"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

Salanewt

Thanks! I did base him on an SNES Yoshi from Super Mario RPG, so I can see how you noticed the resemblance. It is also the fact that it mostly uses bright colours, so I can see your point entirely.

And now that I think about it, I should start on the next few sprites soon. I might also make some Toad sprites later.

Have a nice day.

Salanewt

So please tell me, how does this first animation work? Oh yeah, Atrius (or anyone else who knows), could you please tell me how many frames are generally used for NPC sprites when they walk (as well as PC sprites)?

Have a nice day.

Salanewt

Considering that it has been a few days, could someone please tell me how Yoshi look now?

Changes: I noted the amount of frames in a standard walking animation, and I also removed some of the shadow near his mouth.

Have a nice day.

Edit: There we go, it seems that Photobucket was not giving me a good link, as I could not see it before.

Edit 2: I am starting to think that his shoes are being joined together when he walks, so I might have a tiny bit more work to do with the feet. Needless to say, I might be finished until I upload a small spritesheet.

MaxiPower

Salanewt

Thanks! I might make make some palette swaps of it as well, since I plan on adding Yoshi's Island to my hack when the time comes (like when we can do it easily without relying on hex editing).

Have a nice day.

Griever

well nice work ..... you can probably add it to GS when the new editor is our ... assuming that i understood correctly and we can change sprites.

keep the good work  :happy:

MaxiPower

Quote from: DarkGriever on 23, October, 2010, 03:20:18 AM
well nice work ..... you can probably add it to GS when the new editor is our ... assuming that i understood correctly and we can change sprites.

keep the good work  :happy:

no thats for after 0.3

0.3 allows you to change battle sprites in the sense of using various in game sprites

Salanewt

QuoteDark: well nice work ..... you can probably add it to GS when the new editor is our ... assuming that i understood correctly and we can change sprites.
keep the good work

Thanks. I certainly will add him when we can add sprites. Of course, I have several more sprites to make (since I need all of the NPC animations). It currently looks like I will have to figure out how to give NPCs all 8 PC directions, so I will ask Atrius later if it is possible. Funny thing, but I have to figure that out for a different game too.

Have a nice day.

Griever

oh i see.
well Atrius will certainly know the answer for the 8 directions ><

V0.3 still have lots of stuff, anyway what game you are making sprites for?

Salanewt

That he will, hopefully. I would reckon that it is not too hard to do, just that it uses up extra space to add all of the directions in.

Golden Sun, and then I also have a few layers for Superstar Saga. However, I find the Golden Sun sprites more fun to make.

Have a nice day.

Aile~♥

@Maxipower: Sprite switching for NPCs is coming with v0.3. However, we won't be able to swap PCs out-of-battle sprites yet. *is sad*

[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Griever

Well i haven't played superstar saga ... (not a Mario & Luigi fan) but from the images .... i find golden sun sprites a lot nicer.
BTW since we can switch Battle sprites .. then you can at least switch one character with the sprite that you made right? or will that be hard to do?

Aile~♥

@Darkgriever: We can switch battle sprites, but we can't import battle sprites yet.

MaxiPower

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 24, October, 2010, 07:06:16 PM
@Maxipower: Sprite switching for NPCs is coming with v0.3. However, we won't be able to swap PCs out-of-battle sprites yet. *is sad*

really we can?

Interesting so we can say pure example include new NPC characters into the story of Golden Sun?

Aile~♥

No, we can't import sprites, only use the ones that are already in-game. So you could make, say, Susa show up somewheres. Or you could make Garet's little bro Aaron be in various towns, just for the lulz.

Salanewt

So on a scale from 1-10 (1 being the lowest, 10 being the highest), how high would you say that the sprites look when animated? I am aiming for an average of 8+ before I make more, since anything below that will likely persuade me to make some changes.

Have a nice day.