News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Mario Sun Topic: Player Characters

Started by Rolina, 23, February, 2010, 01:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we have Four or Eight characters?

Keep it simple - Four
0 (0%)
Make it unique - Six
5 (71.4%)
Mix it up - Eight
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Rolina

Another debate for the Mario Hack!  What characters to use, and how many.

My idea?  New Super Mario Bros Wii's characters:  Mario, Luigi, Blue Toad, Yellow Toad.
Then Sala suggested we change that, since everyone hates having two toads.  So I changed it to include two well known characters from the original mario RPG:

Mario, Luigi, Mallow, Geno

Then people said:  What about the other team?
I was all:  We don't need another team.

Suggestions have been: Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Toad, Daisy, etc..., clearly ignoring what I said about the characters thing.  Oh well.

Anywho, here, we need to decide BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE:  4 or 8?  I made a poll, USE IT.  Don't suggest characters yet, not until we come up with the PC amount.

Salanewt

I would have voted for four characters, but I decided that having 8 characters would allow the plot to be mixed sometimes, as well as show that the characters have more of a personality than is normally portrayed in one RPG. It would be even better if we could alter the script, so when we get a fifth party member, we have two teams, and a new part member is added to the team with fewer members (but can still be mixed around). This way, none of them have to join in pairs or groups.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Aile~♥

The reason leaf said not to use Geno and Mallow is because leaf didn't want to use "one-off characters". Which is why I suggest we make our own "one-off" characters, specifically for this hack.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

leaf

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 23, February, 2010, 03:11:32 PM
The reason leaf said not to use Geno and Mallow is because leaf didn't want to use "one-off characters". Which is why I suggest we make our own "one-off" characters, specifically for this hack.
And this is something I can completely agree with. Mario RPGs have a tradition of mixing old with new, but they rarely bring back characters that haven't been established as recurring in the main series. M&L bringing back fawful for bowser's inside story is actually the first time a mario RPG has ever brought back a character that was introduced for one specific story.

I'm not voting yet. I'd rather we try to come up with the most compelling teams possible for either scenario, and then vote between them.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Aile~♥

Don't know for most of the party, but here's a few ideas:

Mario: Fire, Luigi: Jump, Donkey Kong: Fire (now we have both our Fire type characters)

Remaining types necessary are: 1 Jump, 2 Shock, 2 Ice.

Atrius (He/Him)

You don't need to fill all 8 slots either, the game allows 5, 6, or 7 just fine as well.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

leaf

Yeah... I was thinking about that, actually. What if we went over 4 characters, but not all the way up to 8? It'd just be like SMRPG where you have to cut out a couple characters from your main party after a certain point, without actually having multiple parties.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Salanewt

That is true. Battle-wise though, it might seem odd or a bit unfair of both parts of the team can not have the same amount of members in each, unless... New idea:

I shall post it in the topic.

Have a nice day.

Oh, Leaf? I just had a similar idea, which I will post in that hack topic.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Hey, I wanted Blue Toad and Yellow Toad, not Geno and Mallow.  I just brought them up because the idea got shot down.

The big problem is:  It's hard as heck to come up with a Mario team.  I don't want to be restricted to just the Mario RPGs, either.  I personally find 4 as the best number, since it makes it easier to work with... but so far it's going for 8...

Insularity

Quote from: Role on 24, February, 2010, 12:48:50 AM
I personally find 4 as the best number, since it makes it easier to work with... but so far it's going for 8...

This. A story with a maxed-out poarty of 8 would be overly complicated, and I can't see most of those characters getting enough... I forget the word...

Whatever, just look at Mia or Piers, very shallow characters, and look at Ivan- very serendipitous meeting..

And having an amount between 4 and 8 would just look ugly >_>

EDIT: Backstory.

Awesome sig thanks to Akiko of the ToK!

Quote from: Hellfire Soul, the Temple of KradenAsians are cool. They deal with tons of stereotypes and don't afraid of anything. Alternatively, they're awesome because, well, just look at the Temple. There's four types of people here- Asian, Awesome, Asian AND awesome, or Necare.

The subcategory "Kickass" applies to the first three categories
Quote from: Cipher Phoenix, Golden SunriseBanned for being the opposite of sularity (whatever that means). xD

Salanewt

Oh, Role? Did you read one of my posts in the Mario Sun topic of yours (you too Insularity)? I came up with an idea for how we could have less than 8 party members, yet it would be possible to have more than four (in fact, with this idea, it would be better to have more than four for this).

http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=522.msg10880#msg10880

I modified my idea for the experience rewards, so you might want to take a look at the reply after Leafgreen's reply.

Oh, and I also thought of something else... Characters should not solely be one element, but instead mixed.

Have a nice day.

Aile~♥

Well, we have backstory for DK easily enough. Bowser's minions stole a massive cartful of bananas, and now DK wants them back!

However, I think 8 party members may be a bit much, 6 or 7 would be easier to handle.

Salanewt

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 24, February, 2010, 12:15:16 PM
Well, we have backstory for DK easily enough. Bowser's minions stole a massive cartful of bananas, and now DK wants them back!

However, I think 8 party members may be a bit much, 6 or 7 would be easier to handle.

Seems good, but this topic is more or less deciding how many characters there should be, and why.

Have a nice day.

Aile~♥

I'd be inclined to suggest a British Bob-omb, but we've already got one of those (In Paper Mario 2). Bob-ombs are just so awesome when they're British, though.

"Jolly good show, eh!"

"Let's get h'out h'of 'ere posthaste!" /lol British

A general rule for the stereotype British accent: If a word starts with a vowel, add an H. If a word starts with an H that has a vowel after it, remove the H, and replace with an apostrophe. Also, add either eh or Wot Wot to the end of almost every sentence.

Rolina

I've added a third option.  Please redo your votes.