News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Help Create Ila!

Started by Rolina, 24, March, 2010, 02:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

Okay, so... when ordering Ila... I really didn't have much in the way of a mental image, nor what to expect.  Then I got sent this:

NICE.

However... I wanna tweak it a bit, but I'm not sure how.  Do y'all have any suggestions?

I'm already gonna have the Ankh fixed so it looks less... ribbon like.  TNS had an idea for a simple hair ornament or something.  What about y'all?

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

She looks like Mia a LOT. Maybe shorten the dress to knee length and have the cape be more like a cloak?

Rolina

That's kinda the point.  She's the Mia of the group.

Also... another person who thinks it's a dress.  I've gotta get that changed somehow... those are supposed to be robes.

Salanewt

Those straps of leather (if that is what they are on her dress) should be a bit different. Perhaps the top is smaller, the middle only slightly smaller, and the bottom stays the same? This means that the outer part of her dress should open like a slight upside-down "V" shape, but to the point where you can still see near the top of her inner dress. They should not be reduced too much though, so the pins on the sides would only go in a tiny bit

Her hair is fine, but it looks a bit odd to have a ponytail on the side (it would look better if she either had it at the back, or had one on the other side of her head to match). Reducing the bangs a tiny bit might help too (only slightly). For example, the bangs on the right of the portrait could be shortened so they line up with where the two ribbons of the ankh meat, instead of the corner of the one side of the ribbon.

As for the ankh... It actually looks fine. I noticed her brooch though, so maybe her staff should have the symbol of the brooch where the ribbon crosses itself. Also, I think the ankh should look like it is a part of the pole, not just placed on the end (almost looks like it was screwed on or something, with that one line).

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Aile~♥

She looks fine the way she is. Nice robe/dress thing. Looks almost Zelda-ish, rather than Mia-ish. She actually looks like she might be a healer with an attitude, with the facial expression there. Only thing I could suggest is maybe make it look more like the Ankh is part of the staff (I'm OK with it being ribbon-ish), and give her something like a flower in her hair (she's Venus element, so a flower makes sense. If anything, she ought to have a focus on plant magic, considering she's a healer).
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

She's the ground mage, being as she's part of Team 1.  Sai, the Venus adept of team 2, is the Plant user.

Thanks, guys.  I've sent the ideas to Moonlight Alchemist, along with some stuff from ToK and TAOW.  When I get the next iteration of the sketch in, I'll ask again.

Aile~♥

Something about an earth healer seems horribly backwards. Plants symbolize life, stone and rock the absence of it. I suppose ninjas tend to use plant skills for their traps (Punji seems to agree with that), but they can use earth too, right? I don't see anything not stealthy about dropping a spire on someone's head. Sure, they know someone's there, but they don't know who... or where. It still leaves them not knowing what they're looking for. If anything, it's more stealthy than a fire bomb or cluster bomb. Not more stealthy than a carpet bomb though. But that's horribly off-topic.

Edit: (more Off Topic) On the other hand, part of stealth is matching your method of attack to the environment. If you're in a cave, a spire dropping and killing one of your guys doesn't seem that unreasonable, unless it happens several times and nothing's really wrong with the cave. (Or you could use the indirect tactic: have there be an earthquake that knocks the spires down from the ceiling, which is rather more believable.) But an explosion is always out of place, no matter the environment. And a grass snare, while subtle before activation, immediately lets the enemy know someone's there, once his friends notice that a guy went down, because plants don't attack things all by themselves. /horribly off topic

Rolina

...What the hell are you talking about?  What does this have to do with tweaking the image to look better?

Aile~♥

It has nothing to do with it.

I was just pointing out that an Earth healer made little sense...

And then going way off-topic about it.

Rolina

And because the attacker knowing Revive and not the healer in GS1/2 made sense, too, right?
Or that Piers, a Fighter by build, has more or less all but his base class being mage-type classes?  I mean, that made PERFECT sense, right?

And because Ice is much more heal-y than WATER, right?

...Though I see where you came from.  Ila was initially gonna be a Plant-adept before Sai became the main character of Team 2.  After I got inspiration by the Kusanagi in the old data, he became the main of Team 2, had plant-type psys as a result, and Ila got moved to Team 1, which has the groups of Ground, Flame, Wind, and Water.

Aile~♥

1: I have no idea, but they decided Revive should be earth. I honestly think they designed the psys before the characters.

2: That's just bad planning on their part. That and possibly low budget and a lack of time, but I wouldn't know. :/

Rolina

Lack of time?  You've GOT to be joking.  You do know it was moved to handhelds after the console it was being developed for went obsolete, right?
Anywho, healing and buffs/debuffs are apparently separate from psy types, a precedent started by GS that I intend on keeping.

Aile~♥

Nonono, I mean lack of time for GS2, not GS1.

Aile~♥

It's been an insanely long time so I can post again right? Edit: OK, it's not an insanely long time, but I've got an important (and on-topic) point to make, and nobody would notice it otherwise.

Anywho, important point: She's from Vale. As such, her robe needs the semi-traditional "Vale straps" as seen on Jenna and Felix's armour. amirite, or amirite?

Rolina

Wait for the artist to give me their edit.

suzumebachi

Hmm... I figure that robes tend to look like dresses... (Re:History book: "Hey, that guy looks like he's wearing a dress!")

I read what was on TAOW, and I agree with Stray about the robe being looser... But I do like the added designs from ToK. The middle "dress" thing is kinda plain, though, without the straps. In the original sketch, there's this triangular thing (V shaped from what you can seee) that's missing in the ToK one. I think that should stay (POSSIBLY have a SIMPLE version of what's on the cloak//robes//sleeves).

I did not read what was posted here, though, just saying...

Rolina

Well, those of us who play RPGs know better.  We've seen enough robes and dresses to tell the two apart. ^-^

suzumebachi

Yeah, that's true. I just say that the pretty pink ones are dresses :P

Rolina

Second sketch is up.  Still has a few things to iron out which were brought up after I sent her the last update.  Anything else you see?

Salanewt

I think that looks like Ila right there. Something looks strange about the hand holding that ankh, but she looks very good otherwise.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?