News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

First Experience Donating Blood

Started by twocows, 18, March, 2009, 06:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocows

You might not want to read this if you have an exceptionally weak stomach; there's talk of needles and such.

So I donated blood for the first time today because they had a donation thing set up on campus. It wasn't exactly the best experience ever; I wasn't really nervous, but a few things took me by surprise. First of all, I had to wait some half hour or so before they could get around to me. Luckily, I had some games with me to play, so that wasn't too much of a problem. Then there was the iron testing; nobody told me they poke you even before they hook you up to test your iron content, which I wasn't really expecting. So that sucked. Turns out I was in good shape to donate, so they got me hooked up after a few more minutes.

Now, I know most people look away when they stick you, but I get too nervous and jump once they stick me if I do that, so I have to look. Let me tell you: the needle they use to draw blood is just gigantic. I mean it's huge. I wouldn't even call it a needle; it's more like a hollowed out cable or something. It had to have been at least a half-inch in diameter, and probably about 4-6 inches long. That just creeped me out.

I made sure to follow all their fancy rules and eat a big meal before I came in. Turns out they encourage you to eat afterward, too. So now I have the worst stomachache I've had in about a month or two after being force-fed some Coke (I hate carbonated stuff), pizza, and cookies (foods that I don't particularly like, even when I'm not already full). Oh, and I'm supposed to drink a lot of water, which isn't that bad, just kind of annoying to go to the bathroom every 20 minutes.

Minus the stomachache, though, I actually feel better than when I went in. Everybody always says they get light headed afterward, but I felt fine, until they crammed food down my throat. I thought that was kind of weird, but I think it has something to do with the drop in blood pressure (mine's usually just above average, so now it's just below average).

I do encourage everyone to donate, though; all the feel-good stuff they tell you is actually true: you are saving lives by donating. I asked how many people went in to donate, and I was pretty surprised when they said only about 40 or so; we have about 23 thousand students enrolled, and I'd guess at least a few thousand walked by that place today. Kind of disappointing that only 40 went in, if you ask me.

Charon

Hmmm, I would go donate, but I'm too underweight to do such a thing (You have to be over 110 lbs, and I weigh anything from 95-105 O.O)

Matrim

I wanted to give blood for a while but i was under wieght as well. I don't look but the needle wouldn't bother me if i saw it, i think. But now i'm over 110 by a whopping 8 lbs. so i can give blood! Woo! And i have, twice. Both arms. Many people don't meet 5'9" 118 lbs 19 year olds. lol
yeah for O positive. lol its funny to think that like the last two times i gave blood i actually hadn't really ate before. and i was fine.

twocows

Quote from: jdmj90 on 18, March, 2009, 11:07:00 PMI wanted to give blood for a while but i was under wieght as well. I don't look but the needle wouldn't bother me if i saw it, i think. But now i'm over 110 by a whopping 8 lbs. so i can give blood! Woo! And i have, twice. Both arms. Many people don't meet 5'9" 118 lbs 19 year olds. lol
yeah for O positive. lol its funny to think that like the last two times i gave blood i actually hadn't really ate before. and i was fine.
Apparently you're supposed to eat beforehand. That's cool and all, but next time I won't eat quite as much beforehand. Way too much food. Oogh.

Weight requirement wasn't a problem for me; I last checked my weight about a year ago, and I was pushing 200 then. I haven't really changed much physically since then, so it's probably about the same; maybe a little less since I only get two meals per day here (meal plan gives me 14 a week, so if I eat too much, I'll run out later). Only reason I didn't give anything in high school was because of my unnatural hatred of all things pointy (read: needles are pure evil). Seriously, it's a good thing I'm not diabetic, because I'd never take my insulin and probably end up in the hospital (or worse).