News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Warning of a Hacker going around GS communities

Started by Rolina, 23, April, 2010, 01:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

MOVE THIS TO THE NEWS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS.

I'm giving everyone a warning:  A hacker seems to be going around various GS communities and baiting people into being hacked.  This hacker hacked a few people's computers over in The Adepts of Weyard around the time a prominent hacker that ToK had problems with, Grim Reapist, returned to try and stir up trouble.  Although they are similar, it is unknown if it is the same person.  However, given that the incidents are related both in nature and occured at a similar time, it may be that someone is actively targeting GS Fan Communities.

Guys, we need to be on the look out for ANYTHING suspicious.  I know this is a hacking community, but we're for hacking into the game, not into another person's computer.  There's a few things to look out for:

The bait and switch in question: http://s2.zetaboards.com/The_Adepts_of_Weyard/topic/5086166/1/
The intro topic of the hacker: http://s2.zetaboards.com/The_Adepts_of_Weyard/topic/5084167/1/
Topic the returning hacker started in ToK: http://s9.zetaboards.com/The_Temple_of_Kraden/topic/7202264/1/
Another topic they started in ToK: http://s9.zetaboards.com/The_Temple_of_Kraden/topic/7200139/1/

If you see ANY intro topic with similar grammatical nightmares, any topics that look like outright flames with links back to their sites, or anything that you even THINK might be a trap, stay the hell away from it, report it IMMEDIATELY, and warn other people of what's going on.

This is a very serious matter, guys.  We cannot afford to drop our guard, ESPECIALLY given the nature of this community.

MaxiPower

So wait, we can spot them because they use bad grammar, what if they make no mistakes in there text, and these banned people seem like people that just made accounts to cause trouble... or am I missing something? Whos computer has been hacked?

Rolina

No, this is something in common.  I'm saying that you need to be ware of things like the Bait and Switch.  They posted a link back to their site, and that's how one member's PC got hacked.

It was Alex, I believe.

MaxiPower

Quote from: Role on 23, April, 2010, 01:56:40 PM
No, this is something in common.  I'm saying that you need to be ware of things like the Bait and Switch.  They posted a link back to their site, and that's how one member's PC got hacked.

It was Alex, I believe.

Isnt there a way to disallow users to post links until say they have like 10 posts, This would discourage people to waste time posting ten times

Rolina

Atrius'd have to answer that.  I'm but a lowly mook now, remember?

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

So we're on the lookout for a dood who spells words wrong all the time? Got it! This is kinda funny, a hacking community being hacked. Irony at it's best ^-^

Why is someone hacking Goldensun fansites? It's a bit weird.

Rolina

It's not just that, though.  If it were just bad grammar, then that'd be too broad.  It's a certain... er, style of bad grammar. BUT, more importantly, it's the context of their posts.  If you see someone make a post like the one in the trap, REPORT THE CRAP OUT OF IT, and warn people not to fall for it.

RTGreece21

This is the first time I've ever heard of a hacking community being hacked. It would be funny, but I kind of care about this community already.  I can't be of too much help in catching them or keeping them at bay, but I do have two friends that can hack people's PCs. If anything happens to put this site at risk, I could probably ask them for help. They might think it's fun. (That and they approve of me finally getting around to hacking games...).

I'm pissed off that they would use the anonymous thing on their posts though. Obviously someone with too much time on their hands... anonymous isn't meant to target little communities, let alone ones that hack. It's mostly just a meme too, but there's a code and whatnot to follow, and that guy broke it.
Makes me wonder of the guy is a 4channer.
...Though at least it would have been slightly more amusing if it used l33t.
"Optimistic about Pessimism."
"Want to see my good side? Hah heh heh... That was a trick question. All I have are good sides."[/color]

i_am_isaac

Huh...?? a computer hacker? Just don't look at me I am maybe a bad english speaker
but it is impossible that I am a hacker and besides about 70% of Filipinos don't know how to use
proper english grammar.

Thanks for the info about the hacker

I'll just jack in my net navi,Megaman.EXE to the net to look for the hacker :)
Tsk... college life is nice...

Rolina

Quote from: i_am_isaac on 26, April, 2010, 03:22:08 AM
Huh...?? a computer hacker? Just don't look at me I am maybe a bad english speaker
but it is impossible that I am a hacker and besides about 70% of Filipinos don't know how to use
proper english grammar.

Thanks for the info about the hacker

I'll just jack in my net navi,Megaman.EXE to the net to look for the hacker :)
Hey, don't worry, your grammar is much better than the person in question.  Furthermore, you haven't made any topics aimed at stirring up commotion.  So long you've not done something to stir up trouble, you don't have to worry about being suspected.

Also:  Pffft.  Everyone knows that Blues/Protoman.exe is better. XD

Clara Vita (she/her/hers)

Okay.  I admit it.  It was me.

.  .  .

Yeah, if only it were that simple...

ANYWAY...  That's just wrong.  I mean, I've had my computer hacked twice before, (that damned April Fools thing from last year), but when it gets to a personal level like this...?  I mean, it's one thing to send out a virus ridden file for a game, a movie, or other commonly downloaded thing, but when you make a WEBSITE that's virus ridden, and THEN exclusively posting links to it on sites for a specific crowd, you've crossed another line.

By the way, Role.  I have an idea that might make it to where we don't unconsciously assist said hacker...

You just posted about ALL their tendencies.  Well, if they decide to come here, wouldn't they see that eventually and change their "style?"  What I think is that maybe Atrius, (or whoever the moderator is here now), should send a form e-mail to every member here so that they can get the news without publicly posting, which might allow the hacker to get the jump on more people.  And, since ToK and the other sites have already encountered the jackass, (pardon), they could leave them out if/when they do the same thing.  The reason why I ask this, (besides the obvious), is that people might not see the threads that you and others have posted about this issue.  I, for one, didn't see it for a good 3 days after it was posted!

Just a suggestion...

Well, regardless, thanks for the info.  I'll keep my eyes open for anything related...
Anemos Alchemist -> Spirit of the Dawn -> Lord Claros Flamestrike -> Clara Vitalia -> Clara Vita

Can you find the point at which I came out as trans? lmfao

Rolina

Well, if our Admin would actually get on and put this where it's supposed to be, or maybe if my power wasn't taken from me to begin with, this could have been put in an area where people could see it.

If they come and people fall for it because they didn't see this, don't blame me, I'm not the one with power. [/stab]

MaxiPower

Quote from: Role on 26, April, 2010, 05:28:21 PM
Well, if our Admin would actually get on and put this where it's supposed to be, or maybe if my power wasn't taken from me to begin with, this could have been put in an area where people could see it.

If they come and people fall for it because they didn't see this, don't blame me, I'm not the one with power. [/stab]

If I get hacked or a virus, the only person I blame is myself for being stupid enough to click links from folks I dont know or if it comes down to someone impersonating someone else, there new posting habbits should be quite clear..... I dont store personal data and all my files are backed up so if i get any problems.... Reformat and i have a clean system.

I never look at the news topics anyway (and im not the only one), If theres anything important its usually discussed in the chatbox and thus people will see and heed the warnings, if not then again its up to them to make judgments.

Few days away without even signing on, rare for him lol, Lets hope hes just busy

Rolina

Quote from: MaxiPower on 26, April, 2010, 07:41:23 PM
Quote from: Role on 26, April, 2010, 05:28:21 PM

If I get hacked or a virus, the only person I blame is myself for being stupid enough to click links from folks I dont know or if it comes down to someone impersonating someone else, there new posting habbits should be quite clear..... I dont store personal data and all my files are backed up so if i get any problems.... Reformat and i have a clean system.

I never look at the news topics anyway (and im not the only one), If theres anything important its usually discussed in the chatbox and thus people will see and heed the warnings, if not then again its up to them to make judgments.

Few days away without even signing on, rare for him lol, Lets hope hes just busy
Wow, you're naive.  You think that's all they'll do... just hack in for the lulz.  Here's a hint:  Most hackers DON'T.

Charon

Perhaps instead of panicking we could request the user's IP and block it...

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: Role on 26, April, 2010, 05:28:21 PMWell, if our Admin would actually get on and put this where it's supposed to be, or maybe if my power wasn't taken from me to begin with, this could have been put in an area where people could see it.

Can you really blame me if I'm stuck on an island in the middle of nowhere with no internet access for nearly a week?

It's worth mentioning that I have direct access to the source code, and mySQL database for our forums unlike at zetaboards where AoW, and ToK are hosted.  If an incident like what happened at ToK in the past occurs here I'll have a lot more access to do something about it than they did.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

Quote from: Corvidae on 28, April, 2010, 06:56:38 PM
Perhaps instead of panicking we could request the user's IP and block it...
Well yes, I had a list, but people with actual power were nowhere to be found.  If you'd like, I can run grab it and PM it to you again, but remember that IPBanning isn't a surefire way to take someone down. 

Charon

Now now, it's difficult for us to get on - we may consider a global mod to monitor the area due to our inactivity *cough*

A list of IPs would be great. Any protection is better than none (I managed to already block one of the IPs, courtesy of Dracobolt).

Rolina

Quote from: Corvidae on 29, April, 2010, 11:00:46 AM
Now now, it's difficult for us to get on - we may consider a global mod to monitor the area due to our inactivity *cough*

A list of IPs would be great. Any protection is better than none (I managed to already block one of the IPs, courtesy of Dracobolt).
>_>

Charon

Role, I'm currently considering a GM canidate, but I need to get an all clear with Atrius first... I'm considering you among one of them, but am hesitant because you did break a rule (ROM linking) which is punishable with banment. We did go easy on you but I'm not sure whether or not I should ease up at the moment.

But why not just list the IPs? Really, if you know them, just give them to us. I'll be on and off until 2:30 pm.