News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Clan Requests

Started by Charon, 21, May, 2010, 05:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwkjohn

I finished the ten post minimum. Did you get my :VenusStar: application?
Just sayin'.  

,-~~-.___.            Golden Sun
  /   |  '         \   Hacking Community
(     )           0              |
   \_/-, ,------'              /
      ===                     //                   
      /    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|
All your internet entertainment.

Salanewt

I have, and I have forwarded the confirmation to Charon. If you have any questions about Venus before you are promoted to a fully-fledged member, I would like to ask you to send them to me by PM.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Hoopa's application has been approved.  He is allowed to re-enter the Jupiter Clan.

Marin (She/Her)

I'd like to become part of the luna clan. c:

Durza

I don't think Luna and Sol actually have members.
It's not a lie if you don't want to be believed. You're can't be wrong if you don't think you're right.

Rolina

They do.  You can have membership in both a Elemental and Fundamental clan, or did you not read the first post?

CelestOrion

Pardon me asking, but is the first post only showing detailed information for the Venus Clan and not the others, or am I just missing something? From what I can see, only Venus explains what makes a Venus Adept on the site, with Mars lagging behind. Mercury has little to no information, and you have to request information for Jupiter. Personally, I would set up the first post so that it would have detailed information for the available clans so that members who wish to join them will understand what sets each clan apart.

Anyway, that's my spill on that matter, hope to find this information soon to fit my interests.  :happy:

Rolina

No, actually, Jupiter is working hard on a description of what the the clan is.  Unfortunately, we haven't really agreed on what exactly that will be yet, as the change to the clan structure is a very recent one (before, you just asked Charon and you were in.  Now the clans are actually run by the clans).  What you request from Jupiter is not the description, but rather the application form.  It's basically just a formality - even if we posted it here it'd tell you nothing about the clan itself.  You also don't really have to join us if you request it, if you're interested in what it is go ahead an send me a PM and I'll let you know.

As for the clan itself... If you want a general gist, here's what Jupiter is in a nutshell:

Jovians value intelligence and logic.  They're the ones who tend try and get things moving on the site, and the ones who probably enjoy debate the most.  In the Clan Wars RP-esque thing, they tend to be the original creators of a lot of the devices in the world (reflecting how most utility psynergy is Jupiter element).  Their culture uses a lot of psynergy integration similar to magitechnology in fantasy, and compared to the other clans are a bit more... modernistic in their designs.

In terms of power, Jovians are the strongest adepts of all the clans.  However, because they are far fewer in number compared to the other clans, this balances out - even with all their power, they don't have the manpower necessary to overpower any one other clan.  This is very apparent in their ongoing wars with Venus, whom are the opposite - though weakest in power, they are the most numerous.  Neither clan has an upper hand in their conflicts.

Do note that in terms of actual power between members this isn't the case.  The "Hero units" for each clan all are roughly similar in power, I'm speaking of the overall power of the adepts in the clan - the generic units you'd see in a RTS game, in other words.  So don't choose one clan over another because you think you'll have more or less power as an adept, since you'll be roughly the same.  Sala could easily beat a Jovian Generic, for example - after all, that's how named units tend to work.

As for why it's like that, I'm working on the lore for that right now.  When you're clanned (or before that, if my idea to open up clan commons to everyone is accepted), you'll be able to read the reasoning for it.

CelestOrion

After taking the time to read through the entirety of this thread, and to grasp a better understanding of what exactly makes up the traits of each clan (for the most part based on observation, anyway), it's quite difficult for me to figure out what alignment I best describe.

For example, I value friendship higher than most things, which is a trait that Venusians have. However, it appears to me that the 'stereotype' of Venusians is that they're the 'vanilla' members of the site. It just saddens me when I see what generally makes up a Venusian, and then I look at myself. This, of course, is my first opinion when seeing that Matt-generic avatars and poor grammar were parts of the stereotype, which obviously do not fit me, haha.

However, as per most 'main' Martians in the Golden Sun titles, I can be rather rash at times when emotions kick in. I mean well, yet the occasional outburst may or may not be seen, depending on how well in-check it is. (I also figured into the variables that since Celest is a great-sword wielder, he would probably be more prone to that category). The only thing that doesn't fit about Martians is the neutrality, since Celest steps forward for what he believes is justice.

Yet, at the same time, no matter how rash I can be, I tend to be the most logical out of my group of friends, and evaluate given data in a more precise manner. This is something that is befitting of Jovians, who value intellect.

Two more confrontations arise in my decision, however, since Celest is a wielder of both light and darkness in his story, but at an even usage. Would that fall under Null/Void in that one chart that I found halfway through this thread? I interpreted Void as using a mixture of both light and dark, although I may be wrong in assuming.

Basically, in a more tl;dr sense, Celest is a great-sword wielder who thinks highly of his friends and wishes to aid them, can sometimes be rash, but is mainly logical and can understand what most others can't at times. What do you think would be best befitting for such a character?

Rolina

Hmm... well, look at it this way - there's another way to see it if you're familiar with Harry Potter.

Venus - Hufflepuff
Jupiter - Ravenclaw
Mars - Gryffondor
Mercury - Not Slytherin

The other option?  Go clanless.  You don't need to be in a clan to enjoy this - in fact, in one of the games I'm working on, clanless happen to be mercenaries.  They're people with no real allegiance, but most do have values.  For example, some would charge much more for clans they disagree with, or less for clans that they're friendly with.

Another option is the element selector.  Instead of values, what type of adept are you? 

Choose here to see your elemental and fundamental clans.  Also note, fundamental clans aren't part of clan wars - they're just fun clubs to join.  That's why they're still just "Tell Charon and she'll add you".  Every person has one element and one fundament, but they don't actually have to join the clan of that element or fundament if they don't want to.  For example, my fundament is Luna, but I'm not in the Luna Clan.  IIRC, MegaDarkNero's element is Mercury, but he's not part of that clan.

CelestOrion

This does help, actually. I'm quite familiar with the Harry Potter universe, and I must admit, I had a chuckle at the 'Not Slytherin' aspect of Mercury.

Going clanless actually would fit Celest best. Fights for what he believes in.

Am I wrong in assuming that Void is an even mixture of both Light and Dark Psynergy? I don't recall having that one particular question answered, so that's basically the one thing holding me back from knowing what type of Adept Celest would end up being. I mean, he mainly sticks with Light, but does know Dark skills, yet tends to not use them.

Rolina

Heh, it doubles as a joke, actually.  Momo, the current leader of Mercury, once made a site that mirrored this one and tried to get us to join it.  When called on it, she insisted that it was "Not GSHC".  So I often joke about her making an island in the Mercury clan territory that's an exact duplicate of the Clan Wars Weyard, and calls it "Not Weyard".  Thus... "Mercury is Not X".  But it's also true, none of the clans actually hold value to what the Slytherin house does, not even Jupiter.

Void is pure non-elemental psynergy.  Force would be of this element, as would any other psynergy that has no associated element.  Basically, pure psynergy of neither element nor fundament, thus with neither weaknesses or strengths.  If it were in a hack, it'd be represented by spells that ignore the power vs resistance check.

Edit:  Oh!  Also, you don't have to be a Void user if you're unclanned.  Go ahead and choose the power you want - clanless won't be held to follow it.  This is important for if we include you as a character in a hack, as it'll help us figure out what power and resistance values to give you, or how your class selection will work.  Also remember that you're the adept - so why not use powers that you yourself want?

CelestOrion

So I can get away with using both Light and Darkness-based Psynergy? I just wanted to make sure, since I didn't want to have anything that would be considered 'overpowered'. If that's the case, then sign me up for a Light/Dark Clanless. That would seem to fit Celest the most, if I'm not butchering my data values.

Rolina

One or the other, not both.  Those are opposing fundaments.  What you can do is have a djinn combination which gives you access to spells from both fundaments, though - it'd probably be an item class specific to you that allows that.  In fact, since it would be an item class, knowing the element would then be unnecessary, since the classes would be accessible to any elemental adept.

But yeah, one element, one fundament.  You'll probably have to choose the fundamental clan.  Keep in mind, here we follow the "Light is not good" and "Dark is not evil" approach, so don't just go to light because you prefer justice - darkness is just as capable.  After all, if Darkness can't do justice, then what about Batman? XD

CelestOrion

Well, I wasn't trying to fit 'light' as 'justice', or 'darkness' as 'evil', but as two elements, since one cannot exist without another. I should have worded that better, haha.

Perhaps an equip of such to allow learning the other half of the abilities might be in my best interest, then. In that case, hook me up with a Light clanless.

Rolina

Quote from: CelestOrion on 13, June, 2011, 03:57:15 AM
Well, I wasn't trying to fit 'light' as 'justice', or 'darkness' as 'evil', but as two elements, since one cannot exist without another. I should have worded that better, haha.

Perhaps an equip of such to allow learning the other half of the abilities might be in my best interest, then. In that case, hook me up with a Light clanless.
Not in Golden Sun they're not.  There's only four elements - these two are fundaments.  This is why you can be both in an elemental clan as well as in one of these two.  In fact, the whole reason they're not in Clan Wars is because adepts of Light and Dark came out of left field in Dark Dawn.  Until then, they were just considered symbolic, nothing more.  As such, they're not major clans, but act instead more like the Sol and Luna clubs.  Even people from two warring clans can hang out and chill in there - it's kinda hard to retcon them into clan wars, after all.

Charon may have been a bit hasty when making them ("Don't spoil dark dawn, everyone!  Oh, by the way, Light and Dark clans now exist, just like in dark dawn!"), but she was very clever in making it so that you can be in both an elemental clan and in one of these.  At least this way we can incorporate them as attributes in the lore.

CelestOrion

Ah, I get what you're saying. Perfectly understandable.

Well, since you can change your alignment or clan at any time, I think I might go with a Dark/Venus Clanless, since something about the crystal aspect was drawing me in. If I'm not happy with it, I could just change it up after a while, right?

EDIT: Of course, implying that I can do that and still remain clanless. Last I heard, the Venus Clan was a bit 'numerous'.

Rolina

Yes, you can remain clanless.  Look at Overlord Kain.  Given his class, his element would either be Mercury or Jupiter (he refuses to answer as to which, despite all my poking and prodding), but he's a solid clanless.  No matter how many times we've tried to get him to join it's usually a "Nope".  Besides, we need people to populate the world - not all people side with the four main clans, after all.  Especially those that formed close bonds with one another before clans even came about.

CelestOrion

Yeah, that'll work best for Celest, because he'll aid any clan or adept, no matter the alignment, as long as they share the same views. That would bypass the conflicts between clans, as far as I'm aware.

Dark/Venus Clanless, it is.

Crystal Sonata

Have the clan lists been updated recently? Im about to make another sweep through clan requests to update the lists and i want to know if it will be worth it. Also taking into account recent comments I will be submitting a new piece for mercury on the first page soon. You dont mind do you Charon?
Anything I post here is solely my opinion, and is not proven fact, unless I specify otherwise.

If I say anything that offends you, grow a set.