News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Salanewt's (and yours) World Map sprites!

Started by Salanewt, 27, October, 2009, 03:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

Sweet, thanks. This means that I can make my next single location (which will be the final one before a new of them, as well as corrections to the first batch).

I will give you all a hint... Lights.

Have a nice day.

Edit: Here is my last sprite before I host a whole batch of them. This one is probably my favourite, since it is 100% custom (aside from the mountain cliffs, which came from the cave sprite).

Aurora Heights

Edit 2: It looks better behind a darker background though, so I will also post an example of it with a darker background.

Aurora Heights: Darker background (to show how much better it can look).

Edit 3: it is hard to recreate the Aurora Borealis with a severely limited size (of course, I decided to only use blue instead of multicoloured, and it looks much nicer than it would have before (it looked more like the bars of a music wave measuring program before, lol)).
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

Aurora Borealis, eh?  That gave me a though... It would most likely be a very simple matter to make overworld location sprites animated if we really wanted to.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Sajin

Quote from: Atrius on 08, November, 2009, 12:58:17 AM
Aurora Borealis, eh?  That gave me a though... It would most likely be a very simple matter to make overworld location sprites animated if we really wanted to.
Wow, are you actually thinking on doing that? You talk like it's something pretty easy... >_> it is indeed a nice idea...And we all know if anyone is capable of doing that is you.

Atrius (He/Him)

Extremely simple, they're essentially just scriptless NPC's.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

Ooh, I like that idea! Actually, I had a similar idea for the Aurora Heights place, so I kept almost all of the separate parts. Since I still have them, I could work on an animated version today. I would guess that the one that I uploaded is more of a mid-animation sprite, but I might do something a bit different with the mountains (since the whole thing almost looks like a box)... I think I should load the game again, and head to Prox... Perhaps more lighter blue as well.

I guess I just gave myself a project: Make a fully animated Aurora Heights, with details fixed.

Have a nice day.

Edit: Okay, here is a modified version of Aurora Heights. There is now a tall peak in the middle, which could make the level have a new section. I also want to make it so the blue changes colour though.

And here is one non-animated sprite (out of three).

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

suzumebachi

Salanewt

Thanks. I also have a green Aurora Borealis remake, I will probably try to mix it in as well.

Have a nice day.

Rolina

Oh ho ho!  NIIIICE!  I don't personally recommending making ALL of them animated, but it may not be a bad idea to have a mix of the two.  Perhaps you could have an animated sprite for certain events, like how it gets dark at the Gomboba statue, and the day -> night thing at Garoh.  Afterwards, the sprite is replaced with a non-animated sprite with the 'event' removed (such as the Aurora).

Wow, salanewt, that just gave me a ton of ideas! :heart:

Salanewt

Thanks, glad you like it Role! I also agree that not all of them should be animated, and a healthy mix of the two would work just fine. However, I personally think that some should always stay animated, and the Aurora is one of them (but after a certain point, the Aurora could be smaller).

Hm... I might work on some more soon, but I am also working on finding more enemy data in Mario and Luigi.

Have a nice day.

Salanewt

It has been a while, so I suppose a new world map sprite is in order? Please allow me to present:

Peach's Castle:

This is mostly complete, but I am likely to make some minor modifications in the future. The idea of the mote is that the castle will be on a small body of water or something (preferably using the ocean palette for the water). Believe it or not, this was once Lemuria.

Now, how does everyone like it? If the general comments are in favour of this, I will make and upload some more.

Have a nice day.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

NICE! And it's even within GS's palette restrictions! I suppose that this is for a Mario based GS hack then? And the good thing about it is that this could work as a base for other castles in a game, like a haunted mansion or the last boss's dark fortress.

Salanewt

Thanks! It is indeed for a Mario based hack, and with it I might create Luigi's Mansion as well. Other castles could probably use this as a base as well... The next one I will make should be Bowser's Castle... Either that, or I will work on a few different types of towns.

Have a nice day.

Edit: Does anyone want to see a settlement? I call it Mushroom Settlement, because (hopefully) this sort of image looks like a small village that can be placed almost anywhere. My idea for this is that it is not the capital of the Mushroom Kingdom (aka. Toad Town). It was going to be, but I can make a better sprite for the main Toad Town.

Mushroom Settlement

Now, could someone please tell me how I can improve it, if there is room for improvement?

Rolina

Well, I really don't have all that much experience with Mario games, so I'd really not know.  It looks pretty good, though.  Doesn't seem too cluttered either.

Salanewt

Cool, thanks Role. I have a new one as well (though this one may seem cluttered, this was intentional).

Please allow me to introduce Mushroom Heights (due to lack of a better name)!

The reason for it being cluttered is to somewhat imitate some of the backgrounds of past Mario games. This is pretty much 100% custom, and I have alot of the parts saved for the day when we can make our own tiles to use on the overworld (including the hills and giant mushrooms).

So, how does everyone like it?

Have a nice day.

Salanewt

Hey, could some of you please give me your honest opinion on this sprite?

Bowser's Castle:   

As for my opinion, I am starting to like it much more than my other Mario sprites. I am not sure if there is anything else to do though.

Have a nice day.

Hoopa

Wow... just... wow. That's completely and utterly awesome Salanewt! I agree, there's not much you can add. In fact, I don't think there's anything left to be added to something that awesome.
"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

Salanewt

Sweet, thanks! I am seriously considering redoing Peach's Castle, since it looks like a small house compared to this one.

And while I am at it, are there any location sprites that you want me to make?

Have a nice day.