News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

I'm having a heck of a bad week

Started by Atrius, 24, June, 2010, 02:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrius (He/Him)

On top of having a dry socket from my wisdom teeth being removed last week I've also been having quite a bit of computer trouble, here's the situation as it stands now:

Main Computer: Unable to boot, immediate BSOD even in safe mode, switched to back-up secondary operating system installed on machine, same results.  All troubleshooting so far has produced no results.  Next step would be to format the hard drive, and attempt to reinstall one of the operating systems.  It's highly unlikely they would both fail due to software reasons so hopes that this will actually help in any way are low, however there's a snag before I feel I can even attempt this...
Back ups: Corrupted, cause unknown.

Since the computer is a laptop and the hard drives are incompatible with this older desktop (32-bit processor to give you an idea how old) I managed to get my hands on, the only option I can think of to verify the status of the data on the laptop, and attempt to copy it somewhere else is to create a disk that can be booted from, unfortunately archaic desktop lacks a CD drive capable of burning (Yes, that old)  To be clear, yes the source code for the editor is among the data that would be lost if the information on the hard drive cannot be recovered.  Although all signs point to a hardware failure, and the laptop may need to be replaced I do not believe the hard drive is what failed.  Unfortunately this also means that it may not be able to successfully boot from a CD either, making data recovery efforts all the more difficult.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Hoopa

Wow...that sucks. Does the bsod say what type of error you have though?
"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

Menaus

That is too bad, way too bad. Maybe in the future you should upload the latest version of the editor, even if its one your working on, to a website so that if this happens, and you cant get any data out of the HDD, you still can download the editor.
"You state that I have misinterpreted my results, and it looks as though you believe my views to be unsound. Your arguments are those of an eminent scholar. I was myself a fair scholar. For years I pondered, so to speak, day and night over books, and filled my head with sound views–very sound ones, indeed—those of others. But I could no[t] get to practical results. I then began to work and think independently. Gradually my views became unsound, but they conducted me to some sound results." - Nikola Tesla

RTGreece21

o.o; holy crap... ugh, i wish i had a way of contacting my buddy, he might know what to do...
"Optimistic about Pessimism."
"Want to see my good side? Hah heh heh... That was a trick question. All I have are good sides."[/color]

leaf

Wow, that sucks atrius. Good luck getting your computer working again.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Salanewt

Oh wow. Good luck fixing your computer, and good luck on recovering your lost files.

You have absolutely no clue how it happened, or do you know why this happened?

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Ouch, what a bummer XD

You're gonna have to reset your PC back to factory defaults, aren't you? That sucks @#$. I can't believe how many times I've had to do that.

Rolina

Ah... crap... so if that goes, the editor is going to have some serious downtime...

If all else fails, do you think you can take it somewhere for data recovery?

Atrius (He/Him)

Managed to access the hard drive, the data is all just fine, copied it somewhere safe.  Archaic desktop unfortunately doesn't meet the hardware specs needed to continue work on the editor.  Laptop is still dead, 99% certain it's a hardware issue, haven't been able to isolate which part of the hardware exactly yet though.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Hoopa

Well, at least you could save your data. Hopefully the issue isn't too hard to fix... Well, good luck with that.
"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

RTGreece21

yeah, as long as the data is safe, you'll be able to work on it again sometime. there are some more up to date laptops you can get for like 500 bucks that have good ventilation to prevent overheatingand ruining parts. they should work perfectly well for you. their screens aren't too terribly big though
"Want to see my good side? Hah heh heh... That was a trick question. All I have are good sides."[/color]

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Quote from: Atrius on 25, June, 2010, 04:35:47 PM
Managed to access the hard drive, the data is all just fine, copied it somewhere safe.  Archaic desktop unfortunately doesn't meet the hardware specs needed to continue work on the editor.  Laptop is still dead, 99% certain it's a hardware issue, haven't been able to isolate which part of the hardware exactly yet though.

That is good to hear (about the data being safe). (If it's like a floppy disk.... (probably not limited to a floppy.. but...) I'd keep it away from magnets...) Magnets don't do very well sometimes. I heard once that one of my previous teachers had stored her paper on a floppy disk and it got accidentally erased by a magnet....
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Atrius (He/Him)

Yes, I did check to make sure my warranty had already expired before I did this.

Final verdict: Component integrated to motherboard failed, and cannot be replaced without replacing entire motherboard.  Motherboard has been discontinued, replacements do not exist.

RTGreece21

wellll... at least you have a pretty rug. ^^; you're deffinately gonna need a new computer...

leaf

Well that sucks. At least your data's safe...
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Quote from: KuramaKarasuLEMON on 25, June, 2010, 10:08:27 PM
wellll... at least you have a pretty rug. ^^; you're deffinately gonna need a new computer...
Yup.

Ofcourse, you could probably keep the good parts for spares (basically creating a safety net for any future problems that may come down the road.) ... or perhaps sell them if that is even possible.

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: KuramaKarasuLEMON on 25, June, 2010, 10:08:27 PM

That's actually my blanket.

For the record, after putting it back together the laptop works just as well as it didn't before disassembly.

RTGreece21

a blanket that looks like a rug? o.o

Rolina

Heh, nice to see your sense of humor isn't broken.

How good are you gonna want your computer?  I know I want mine to have a lot of power behind it, so I'm saving for a $1K one... but if you don't need it for gaming, then there's no reason to have that much power...  It's not gonna knock you back too badly, is it?

Atrius (He/Him)

I do a lot of traveling for my job so a desktop replacement style laptop is what I'd go for.  I'm looking around the $1K-1.5K price range for the amount of power I'd like, some stuff I do requires quite a bit.

FYI, that blanket was hand knit by my grandmother.