News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Maxi Gallery of Custom Images (new stuff)

Started by MaxiPower, 25, February, 2011, 03:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

But they're already linked.  The world map connects them all!

GSeriesFan

I didnt explain myself very well... I want to edit the game to play in my mobile but the emulator of gba for mobile phone MESSES UP the WORLD MAP making the game unplayable, thats why i m connecting them with houses, caves,etc.

Understand now?

Rolina

Easy answer is easy, but you won't like it.

Mobile Phone Gaming is a joke.

Besides, by the time we get the ability to do what you're wanting, you'll have a newer version of the emulator out that probably has a way to fix it.  Editor releases come out years at a time.  It was a little over a year and a half between 0.2 and 0.3, and it's been half a year since then.  Looking to the editor for a fix is not the right decision here.  Looking to the emulator guys, or waiting for the 3DS' Virtual Console to come out is what you should be doing.

GSeriesFan

Quote from: Role on 09, May, 2011, 12:10:11 AM
Easy answer is easy, but you won't like it.

Mobile Phone Gaming is a joke.

Besides, by the time we get the ability to do what you're wanting, you'll have a newer version of the emulator out that probably has a way to fix it.  Editor releases come out years at a time.  It was a little over a year and a half between 0.2 and 0.3, and it's been half a year since then.  Looking to the editor for a fix is not the right decision here.  Looking to the emulator guys, or waiting for the 3DS' Virtual Console to come out is what you should be doing.

Well that would be the right thing to do if i were other guy... the fact is that i cant really wait for other emulator version to come out, I love this game! Besides, i dont even know if there is going to be other version of Vbagx so i try to do the best i can to make the game in the minimum, playable!

I wanna edit the rom to make it playable now, i m a rush type guy i hate waiting sorry...
It would be nice to edit the sound *bitrate*(I think this is how it's called) to make it sound better on mobile, it would be nice too if there was a way to make the sprites of the characters and enemies appear while in battle mode...all this by editing the game itself...

I wanna do all this but i have so little knowledge about what addresses and values do, all i know is to connect villages,caves,etc...
I wanna know more about this, help...

Salanewt

That sounds very interesting and all, but you do know that you two are having this discussion in the wrong topic, right? Just thought that I would point that out...

Also, Maxi: Are you going to make some more maps for us soon? I would really like to see what else you can come up with, as you have made some very good looking maps so far.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

GSeriesFan

Quote from: Salanewt on 09, May, 2011, 10:14:40 PM
That sounds very interesting and all, but you do know that you two are having this discussion in the wrong topic, right? Just thought that I would point that out...

Also, Maxi: Are you going to make some more maps for us soon? I would really like to see what else you can come up with, as you have made some very good looking maps so far.

My apologies if it s in wrong topic, i ll make a new topic later about this.

MaxiPower

Quote from: Salanewt on 09, May, 2011, 10:14:40 PM

Alot of school work at the moment along with this broken hand, haven't been able to do anything :P ill get on the ball  come the summer, btw.... any chance for some sprites :P :P :P  :heart:

Salanewt

I think I might be able to get some for you soon. I have some more school-related stuff to take care of, but I could probably finish at least one or two of those djinn soon.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

@GSeriesFan - I wonder if it is a RAM issue on the phone's part?... I'm not sure, though (especially since I don't use one..), but I thought about it earlier and decided to wait for replies... anyway, good luck.

Quote from: If it helps at all?General Internal Memory

00000000-00003FFF   BIOS - System ROM         (16 KBytes)
  00004000-01FFFFFF   Not used
  02000000-0203FFFF   WRAM - On-board Work RAM  (256 KBytes) 2 Wait
  02040000-02FFFFFF   Not used
  03000000-03007FFF   WRAM - In-chip Work RAM   (32 KBytes)
  03008000-03FFFFFF   Not used
  04000000-040003FE   I/O Registers
  04000400-04FFFFFF   Not used

Internal Display Memory

05000000-050003FF   BG/OBJ Palette RAM        (1 Kbyte)
  05000400-05FFFFFF   Not used
  06000000-06017FFF   VRAM - Video RAM          (96 KBytes)
  06018000-06FFFFFF   Not used
  07000000-070003FF   OAM - OBJ Attributes      (1 Kbyte)
  07000400-07FFFFFF   Not used

External Memory (Game Pak)

08000000-09FFFFFF   Game Pak ROM/FlashROM (max 32MB) - Wait State 0
  0A000000-0BFFFFFF   Game Pak ROM/FlashROM (max 32MB) - Wait State 1
  0C000000-0DFFFFFF   Game Pak ROM/FlashROM (max 32MB) - Wait State 2
  0E000000-0E00FFFF   Game Pak SRAM    (max 64 KBytes) - 8bit Bus width
  0E010000-0FFFFFFF   Not used

Unused Memory Area

10000000-FFFFFFFF   Not used (upper 4bits of address bus unused)

---

As for the maps, they look nice.. I do agree they need to be bigger as well.. I guess it is best to come up with an estimate size to use as a base?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Atrius (He/Him)

I wouldn't go much bigger, Madra is only 800x544.  Remember, the GBA has a pretty tiny screen resolution (240x160) those towns are gonna look a lot bigger in game when you can't see the whole thing at once.  Having ~6-7 buildings is about right for a town in GS.  The trick to making them feel large in-game is to keep the buildings in relatively close proximity so that once the player walks into the main area of the town there's barely anywhere they can go without at least 2-3 buildings being visible on screen.

The number one problem I always saw with map design when I was still big into the fan game creation scene was that people tried to make really large maps without putting much content into them.  It doesn't make a town feel big if there's nothing to do there, it just makes it feel empty and boring.  Here's a trick, create a rectangle half the size of your view port (120x80 in this case) if you can fit it somewhere on your map without it touching anything of visual interest then you should probably pull things in closer together there.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

I agree for the most part, however there usually is one town much bigger than the rest.  To keep with that, I figure you can probably safely have a town about two to three times that size - but limit it to only a single big city.  Kind of like how they did Sveta's hometown in dark dawn.

MaxiPower

this was really just to show that I can do big maps, the left part of the map could be through a transition even thus breaking it up and i tried to make it look full and interesting :P

besttp

How did you make those custom maps? It's really cool! :heart:

Rolina

MS Paint can do a lot more things than people give it credit for, besty.  This is one of them.

Though he probably used Paint Shop Pro or Paint.NET.

MaxiPower

Quote from: besttp on 17, December, 2011, 03:31:13 AM
How did you make those custom maps? It's really cool! :heart:

MS Paint for the maps etc, photoshop to place the sprites onto the map

I use paint.net for editing sprites but mainly use standard paint.

ps. i gotta get back into finishing this!