News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Mastermind's drawings: Now in Color!

Started by Mastermind, 15, July, 2010, 03:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mastermind

i wanted to share some of my sketches that i was finally able to scan.

Probably my best
[spoiler][/spoiler]

An early concept sketch of an Rp character form Gsr:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

A later drawing  of him with casual cloths:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

A random sketch i did in a weird mood:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

First attempt at an action shot:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Rolina

Well, looks like you and I are at the same drawing level.

Mastermind

Really? Hmm...You're quite a jack-of-all-trades, Role. I've prided myself at being the same, so I congratulate you and realize that I envy your feats of coding and graphics that I have seen you discuss.

Aile~♥

I somehow don't believe that Role's comment was meant to be a compliment. However, you're better than I am.

I can only draw stick figures. Yeah, fail, I know.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Mastermind

Role isn't known for compliments...I'll take it as a compliment anyways, call me an optimist.

Mastermind

Rolina

Quote from: Mastermind on 19, July, 2010, 02:22:34 PM
Role isn't known for compliments...
This. 

Glad to see someone finally understands me.

Mastermind

Well, I see you as the speaker of painful truths, the perfect critic that isn't afraid to offend someone if they did something wrong.
I'm a little too polite (aka scared) to be as harsh as necessary.

Atrius (He/Him)

There's something to be said about constructive criticism too.  Instead of just listing problems, listing what works and suggesting solutions for the problems as well.

The detail in the clothing is very nice, although the wrinkles could use improvement.  Wrinkles are fairly difficult to get correct without a reference, I've started looking up photos of people wearing similar clothing to my character when I start drawing them.

This more concerns your previous drawnings, but a lot of what I see from less experienced artists is that they always try to draw things straight out of their imagination without using a reference, because they think it's cheating otherwise which is not true at all.  Even experienced artists will still use a model, or reference material because the human mind has a strange way of either exaggerating, or generalizing things that most people aren't aware of.  I remember a making of video for one of the cartoons in the Animatrix where they basically recorded a live version of the animation before they ever started drawing it.  Even just taking a photo of yourself in the characters pose can help out a lot with figuring out proportions, and more natural positions for the extremities.  It can also help a lot when figuring out details like the hair, and facial features even if you use drawings by different artists to base it off of.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

Agreed, there's no point of just pointing out problems if you don't make suggestions on how to improve or fix them.

Aile~♥

...Says the one who was just pointing out problems without making suggestions on how to fix them.

XD

Mastermind

Quote from: Atrius on 15, August, 2010, 05:13:19 PM
There's something to be said about constructive criticism too.  Instead of just listing problems, listing what works and suggesting solutions for the problems as well.

The detail in the clothing is very nice, although the wrinkles could use improvement.  Wrinkles are fairly difficult to get correct without a reference, I've started looking up photos of people wearing similar clothing to my character when I start drawing them.

This more concerns your previous drawnings, but a lot of what I see from less experienced artists is that they always try to draw things straight out of their imagination without using a reference, because they think it's cheating otherwise which is not true at all.  Even experienced artists will still use a model, or reference material because the human mind has a strange way of either exaggerating, or generalizing things that most people aren't aware of.  I remember a making of video for one of the cartoons in the Animatrix where they basically recorded a live version of the animation before they ever started drawing it.  Even just taking a photo of yourself in the characters pose can help out a lot with figuring out proportions, and more natural positions for the extremities.  It can also help a lot when figuring out details like the hair, and facial features even if you use drawings by different artists to base it off of.
I take lots of details off of existing art to try to make mine better, but for the most part...you're right. I'll have to try some more of that. Thanks Atrius.

Rolina

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 16, August, 2010, 03:08:58 AM
...Says the one who was just pointing out problems without making suggestions on how to fix them.

XD
Care to point out an example?

Aile~♥

Not really. I don't even know why I made that comment.

Also, date glitch? It says I posted my reply on August 16, 2010, at 12:08:58 AM. Then the next post claims to be posted August 16, 2010, 07:14:03 AM, and your post says it was posted on August 16, 2010, 11:03:53 AM. Which creates a T I M E   P A R A D O X because you posted your reply to my post before I posted it!

Mastermind

I've scanned quite a few more drawings...but I'm too lazy to put all of them up (too lazy for cut and paste...wow), so here's my latest work.

Mastermind

So, here's my second attempt at computer coloring. i think it turned out much better than the first one. Background is still pencil
[spoiler][/spoiler]

besttp

How to draw folds -_____- I couldn't draw it good.