News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Dragon Quest Nine

Started by Rolina, 18, July, 2010, 03:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

Oh, how I am LOVING this game! 

So basically you're an angel.  Or celestrian or whatever the fancy DQ word is for it.  You finally get the last bit of essence to ascend to heaven to be with god, the need for angels guarding over the lands complete.  Except all hell breaks looks (being DQ, this is probably LITERALLY, but I've not progressed far enough to tell for sure).  Your wings get ripped off and your halo poofs away somewhere.  And thus, you start your quest to regain your powers and help the angels be able to ascend.

There's 6 base classes:

Fighter - a pretty defensive class from what I've seen.  My fighter doesn't take much damage.
Monk - not much experience with this class, but they're the martial artists.
Thief - one of the best classes in my opinion.  CRITICAL BEASTS, and can steal, which is a LIFESAVER.
Mage - The black mage - they cast the magicks that make the enemy fall down.
Priest - The white mage - they cast the magicks that heal the boo boos.  Ha ha, just kidding.  They're BATTLE CLERICS.  My priest does damage on par with my Thief.
Minstrel - D&D bard, Final Fantasy Red Mage.  Can do a bit of everything, and kinda... sucks at it as a result.  This is YOU - you start out as a Minstrel.  If you don't want to, don't spend ANY points you get leveling up - save them for when you can change your class.

So far I've run into three advanced classes - I have had like, no experience with two of them.

Gladiator - Where Fighters are defense, these guys are attack.  Me likey the axes and b&hammers they wield, and of course, they can use the all-purpose sword when they want to Gigaslash.
Ranger - Just got it, not experience with it.  Getting it was kind of annoying, though.
???? - (can't remember the name at the moment) Elemental Jedi.  No, I am not making this up.  Unlock it and just look at the skill names.  It pretty much screams "Elemental Jedi".  Haven't used it yet, though.

There seems to be three more, but I've not unlocked them yet.

And some good points everyone should appreciate:

Unlike previous DQ games, you can select which enemy in a group you attack!  Pay attention to the top screen when selecting, as you can change the target.
You can get new quests and items by connecting to wifi.  They're different every day.  Best part?  You use IN GAME MONEY to buy the items!  NO REAL CASH DLC!  HELL YEAH!
Thieves are your BEST FRIEND.  Especially once you get the alchemy pot.  Don't even try to go for drops - the half-inch skill and itemized kill Coup-de-grace is where it's at.  This is REALLY important for you low level gamers out there!
All foes have two items - a commonly known item, and a sometimes rarer one that doesn't show up on the bestiary until you actually get the drop.  One exception - bosses.  They have a 100% drop rate from what I've seen, but only have one drop item.

dograt50

Damn seems like a good game. I think il add it to my "Get Game" list. I laughed at the commercial for the game lol Seth Green.

:Isaac: :VenusDjinni: :Felix: Chuck Norris!

Hoopa

Yay! Another person who likes DQIX! Anyway, there are a total of 12 classes, 6 base ones that you can automatically become, and 6 advanced ones you have to unlock by finishing quests that a certain person tells you to do.

Here's the advanced classes:

Gladiator: Like Role said, they're like the warriors but focus more on attack.

Ranger: I dunno. Didn't really pay attention to it much.

Armamentalist: Er... Star Wars much? The instructor goes on about this fource you have to master before you can become one and everything. They're basically a magic fighter who can cast spells and fight, along with using the "fource" to power up other characters.

Paladin: A paladin. Guards people, heals, protects. You know, typical paladin.

Sage: Learns the high end healing and attack spells. You don't get this class until practically the end of the game though... and it's easy to miss if you usually don't check book shelves...

And finally Luminary: Basically a fun class that learns some healing and a family of attack spells, but mostly has a bunch of abilities based on what superstars do. For example, there's a move where camera flashes blind your enemies, the character signs an autograph and tosses it, causing damage etc. You don't get this class until AFTER the game is done though.

Some other fun things about this game:

A lot of the characters from previous dragon quest games can show up as cameos. There's the prince and princess from DQ II to Torneko the merchant of DQ IV to even Jessica Albert from DQVIII. Besides that, you can basically make your characters look like any of the past Dragon Quest games if you wear the right equipment. Heck, there's even wigs that gives your characters a certain hair do when you equip it.

Also, after the game is done, you can fight pretty much all the final bosses of every previous Dragon Quest game via hidden bonus dungeons throughout the whole world of DQIX.

So yeah. Fun game. Made even funner by the fact that it's multiplayer. :P

"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

Rolina

Don't forget the ghost of that one comedian guy you need to quest with in DQ4.  The one with the Minstrel quests.

@Armamentalist:  Ah, yeah, that's the name.  See?  Just like I said.  Elemental Jedi.

Out of curiosity, what's the Fisticuffs class of skills do?  Is it an "unarmed combat" group, or a "Shieldless" group?  Because I can't see it being worth investing into if it's just unarmed combat... at least, not until VERY late in the game.

Also, did I mention I love thieves?  Just got the assassin dagger.  In combination with her absurd Deftness growth, Fleta's pretty dropping things left and right.  I kinda feel sorry for Treasa, my gladiator, because even freaking METAL SLIMES AND THE LIKE are poofing out of existence.

By the way, where's the paladin quest?  I'm sure I have no problem with the bookshelves, since I check them religiously for alchemy recipies...

Also:  The Ranger quest is a PAIN IN THE @#$%.  Both to get it (gotta kill the target enemy with POISON DAMAGE... and they can heal.  Takes forever if you're not draining their MP with a wand), and to get the first step of the class quests done - you have to basically un-enrage 30 monsters.  Good luck not killing an enraged monster before you can do it.  After all, they only get enraged if you do something to piss them off, so you're really REALLY likely to wind up killing them after you piss them off.  =_=

Ranger is good for the Agility and Deftness buffs.  I've not used it except to nab those for Fleta and Treasa.  Would have mastered bow skill for Eve with it had I not found out that the Priests are Battle Clerics, and are probably better off without it.  Fear my Gigasteel Bar!

And oh, god... Marida, my main...

Me, being stubborn, REFUSED to spend points on the stupid bard class and it's weapons (though i will be going back for the fan.  I love how she looks haughty/conceited when she's using it. Probably the only Omnivocational skill I'll actively try to get.  XD), so when I finally got to Alltrades Alley and got to mage, BAM, half mastered right then and there.  Now I've mastered that and got Wands to 60%, so... yeah, we're talking 350-ish Magic Attack AT LEVEL 25.

She is the only person with a stat that high.  Eve comes close with Magic Mending (healing) at 313-ish, but it's not like she attacks with that.  That's what her staves of doom are for.  Gotta love battle clerics...

Anywho, how much experience do you have into Sage?  What spells does it get, and how's the magic attack growth in comparison to the Mage?

MaxiPower

I was playing it... At first I thought it was gonna be a great game first few hours were interesting but the game is total and utter crap.... uninteresting village > boring dungeons > Easy Boss.. Rinse repeat. Its a game that you could play through and thats it nothing sticks out.

No dialog from main character nor or the other characters even in cut scenes.

The GUI is the same as it was for the last 8 games with no effort to make it pretty like GSDD

Overall I give it a 6/10

Hoopa

@Maxi: I liked it... but to each their own. Besides that, it follows the traditional DQ formula though...so you shouldn't have been expecting anything new to the gui really...

@Role: I maxed out the sage class twice for my MC. I have sage+2 :P

I don't remember all the spells it has, but I think they were the high end spells of the Priest and Mage classes like kafrizzle, kaboom, healmore, kazing etc. along with magic burst. Also, if you train the enlightenment skill it comes with, you learn Jack's knack, a spell that lets you change classes wherever you want. No more long trips back and forth from Alltrades abbey if you want to change classes.  :happy:
"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

Rolina

Quote from: MaxiPower on 18, July, 2010, 03:55:17 PM
I was playing it... At first I thought it was gonna be a great game first few hours were interesting but the game is total and utter crap.... uninteresting village > boring dungeons > Easy Boss.. Rinse repeat. Its a game that you could play through and thats it nothing sticks out.

The GUI is the same as it was for the last 8 games with no effort to make it pretty like GSDD

Overall I give it a 6/10
Sounds like SOMEbody's never played a dragon quest game before.   Oh, oh!  By the way!

Golden sun is total and utter crap.  Uninteresting village > mondane battle system > easy as hell.  Rinse, wash repeat.  No dialogue form main character, and I don't like the art style because I'm a snobbish brat.

Oh, wait...

Clearly you've not gotten any of the treasure maps.  The boss of the first one's kicked my @#$% every time I played it.  Also:  Don't tell me you're one of those lame people who actually commands everyone in every battle?  I can understand it for, say, quests where if you don't you can never complete it, or maybe if you're trying to get a specific item and you need your thief to successfully steal from a foe...

Oh, and finally... very, VERY few games with a Create A Character system have vocal mains.  Why?  Because unlike games where it doesn't make sense, like Golden Sun, in these games the main character is basically the avatar of the player - the representative of the player, built to specification.   If you're going to be like that, then I must feel sorry for you.  All in all, it's one of the better games I've played.

Hoopa

Quote from: Role on 18, July, 2010, 06:04:00 PM
Sounds like SOMEbody's never played a dragon quest game before.   Oh, oh!  By the way!

Golden sun is total and utter crap.  Uninteresting village > mondane battle system > easy as hell.  Rinse, wash repeat.  No dialogue form main character, and I don't like the art style because I'm a snobbish brat.

Oh, wait...

Clearly you've not gotten any of the treasure maps.  The boss of the first one's kicked my @#$% every time I played it.  Also:  Don't tell me you're one of those lame people who actually commands everyone in every battle?  I can understand it for, say, quests where if you don't you can never complete it, or maybe if you're trying to get a specific item and you need your thief to successfully steal from a foe...

Oh, and finally... very, VERY few games with a Create A Character system have vocal mains.  Why?  Because unlike games where it doesn't make sense, like Golden Sun, in these games the main character is basically the avatar of the player - the representative of the player, built to specification.   If you're going to be like that, then I must feel sorry for you.  All in all, it's one of the better games I've played.

^ 'nuf said. Anyway, the treasure maps are fun, aren't they? I especially like the ones you get to fight the old bosses in, like the lvl 99 dragon lord one with uber hp...  :happy:

Rolina

I still can't beat that stupid horse. T-T

Even with my leet stats for level 25. T-T

Guess I need to progress the story more so I can get some better equips...

MaxiPower

Quote from: Role on 18, July, 2010, 06:04:00 PM
Quote from: MaxiPower on 18, July, 2010, 03:55:17 PM

Overall I give it a 6/10
Sounds like SOMEbody's never played a dragon quest game before.   Oh, oh!  By the way!

Golden sun is total and utter crap.  Uninteresting village > mondane battle system > easy as hell.  Rinse, wash repeat.  No dialogue form main character, and I don't like the art style because I'm a snobbish brat.

Oh, wait...

Clearly you've not gotten any of the treasure maps.  The boss of the first one's kicked my @#$% every time I played it.  Also:  Don't tell me you're one of those lame people who actually commands everyone in every battle?  I can understand it for, say, quests where if you don't you can never complete it, or maybe if you're trying to get a specific item and you need your thief to successfully steal from a foe...

Oh, and finally... very, VERY few games with a Create A Character system have vocal mains.  Why?  Because unlike games where it doesn't make sense, like Golden Sun, in these games the main character is basically the avatar of the player - the representative of the player, built to specification.   If you're going to be like that, then I must feel sorry for you.  All in all, it's one of the better games I've played.

Yea just go and soak it up Role.... Create a character = Lazy (Dont want to use there brains and make a  story so well just make your friends appear from no where

Using same old sounds and graphics.... = Lazy (Oh the fans will call it traditional and therefore we wont have to do any work YAY.

Golden Sun locations are more varied with exciting and engaging towns thats been turned to trees, a Town that the climate is  basically killing it. A village of Werewolves, an ancient city atmospheric Lemuria, Citys of wealth and power (Tolbi) Citys on the brink, Yallam, Citys with weird traditions, Komobo, Izumo...

So how you can someone GS locations Uninteresting is beyond me.

treasure maps? = Lazy... Thats deemed something on the side, rather an after thought. Nothing to do with the story thus anything can be added that doest effect the game.

Character Creation... = LAZY. The characters are designed by the dude that did DBZ and its very evident when like most the hairstyles are carbon copies of DBZ....

The game basically is a game you can play and somewhat enjoy for the combat only but still who cares, thats like having a bit of bread and no bacon beteeen it... tastes bland

So Yes, after giving the game extra thought a 4/10 sounds more concrete

Rolina

Character creation systems are lazy?

Boy, you'd best be trolling.  The Character Creation system allows for full CUSTOMIZATION of your character.  If you want a fing story that stays as far away from it as possible, go play freaking FF13 and enjoy your linear piece of crap.

And are you really bashing DQ for having Akira Toryama as a graphics designer?  The guy who has ALWAYS been the graphics designer?

Fine, by that logic, Motoi Sakuraba sucks.  If you like him, it's only because

And let's see here, how much post game does GS have?  NONE.  DQ?  It's actually WAY bigger than the story from what I've seen.  There's tons of things to keep you interested, and new stuff to download FOR FREE on top of that.  GS has... none of that.  And the same argument can be said for GS - boring towns.  We don't have any towns that were carved in stone, not a single kingdom that finds itself in trouble due to the undead state of the hero of an ally from a bygone era, you really don't see anything beyond the flat mundane characters in the story.  It's really bland overall.

Remember that for everything you try to bash on one game, it can turned around and done to YOUR favorite game.  So, as they say, if can't say anything nice, then SHUT THE FRICK UP.  This is a thread for FANS of the game to discuss it, take your trolling to another topic.  God I wish Charon hadn't messed with the reputation, I'd have sent you into the negatives by now. >_>

The only thing GS has over DQ9 is... lack of puns.  Good God, the puns are HORRIBLE... And EVERYWHERE...

MaxiPower

Quote from: Role on 18, July, 2010, 06:33:24 PM
Character creation systems are lazy?

Boy, you'd best be trolling.  The Character Creation system allows for full CUSTOMIZATION of your character.  If you want a fing story that stays as far away from it as possible, go play freaking FF13 and enjoy your linear piece of crap.

And are you really bashing DQ for having Akira Toryama as a graphics designer?  The guy who has ALWAYS been the graphics designer?

Fine, by that logic, Motoi Sakuraba sucks.  If you like him, it's only because

And let's see here, how much post game does GS have?  NONE.  DQ?  It's actually WAY bigger than the story from what I've seen.  There's tons of things to keep you interested, and new stuff to download FOR FREE on top of that.  GS has... none of that.  And the same argument can be said for GS - boring towns.  We don't have any towns that were carved in stone, not a single kingdom that finds itself in trouble due to the undead state of the hero of an ally from a bygone era, you really don't see anything beyond the flat mundane characters in the story.  It's really bland overall.

Remember that for everything you try to bash on one game, it can turned around and done to YOUR favorite game.  So, as they say, if can't say anything nice, then SHUT THE FRICK UP.  This is a thread for FANS of the game to discuss it, take your trolling to another topic.  God I wish Charon hadn't messed with the reputation, I'd have sent you into the negatives by now. >_>

The only thing GS has over DQ9 is... lack of puns.  Good God, the puns are HORRIBLE... And EVERYWHERE...

There is no downloadable content in DQ9... Its all already on the cart and is just unlocked when you go online. Something fans that dont have Wifi lose out on seeing that they payed for it..... All Post game in GS is logical, its on the world map, Its physically in the world.

And how is it trolling.... I dislike the game so im a troll... Yea your logic fails...

BTW I dont like FF13, In fact i haven't enjoyed a single game they have made since they merged with Enix... FF10 was the last Squaresoft game....

Rolina

Maxi, there is no Post-game in golden sun.  When you beat the game, it's over.

Hoopa

Protectorate, the land of Dragon Quest IX is in the spell check dictionary.

Weyard, the land of Golden Sun, is not.

Dragon Quest wins.

Rolina

Quote from: MaxiPower on 18, July, 2010, 06:44:19 PM

And how is it trolling.... I dislike the game so im a troll... Yea your logic fails...

You came here specifically to bash the game.  This is what people call "Trolling".

MaxiPower

Quote from: Role on 18, July, 2010, 06:45:34 PM
Maxi, there is no Post-game in golden sun.  When you beat the game, it's over.

Is Dullahan not considered as an optional Boss... Same as Star Magician, both of which I waitedtill after the game to defeat..

But yea you got a point that yea there not really post game as they can be taken on before the end of the game...

But the fact is like you said this is a Dragon Quest 9 Thread. Not Golden Sun, everyone knows GS has nothing to do once the game is complete, but the game is on its 2nd game and not a 9th iteration

MaxiPower

Quote from: Role on 18, July, 2010, 06:55:20 PM
Quote from: MaxiPower on 18, July, 2010, 06:44:19 PM

You came here specifically to bash the game.  This is what people call "Trolling".

You created a thread expressing your opinion, and I responded with mine, What do you want me to do, jump up and down, clap my hands and pretend I think the game is perfect.... Not gonna happen

EDIT/ woops double post

Hoopa

Please... arguments over what the best RPG is should be settled on the debates board. This isn't the right place, nor is it the right time for that really.

MaxiPower

Quote from: Whizkidhv on 18, July, 2010, 06:59:23 PM
Please... arguments over what the best RPG is should be settled on the debates board. This isn't the right place, nor is it the right time for that really.

Were not debating what is the best RPG.... Were expressing our views over a game...

Theres a major difference.

Hoopa

True. But the way you are doing so is really getting on Role's nerves, and before you know it this thread will become full of meaningless posts irrelevant to the main topic. Like whenever RT mentions his move to Venus. So, let's just agree to disagree and be done with it, like the mature people we all are.