News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Dragon Quest Nine

Started by Rolina, 18, July, 2010, 03:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

Yeah, discuss, not bash.  You remember how you felt when I said those things about golden sun?  That's how you came across.  You jumped to defend a game you like because someone else was ATTACKING it.  You can voice your opinion without being antagonistic about it, you know?  Just say you really didn't like that style of game, rather than listing a whole bunch of reasons that, honestly, can mostly be applied to Golden Sun as well, in a way that seems confrontational.  Note how I didn't bash the dungeons - GS actually has some of the best dungeons I've seen.  Either way, though, remember that for every bash you give, there's a counter bash for your favorite game.  Best you can do is try to be courteous and respectful, otherwise the only thing you'll get is a counter.

Anywho, there's plenty of those who like create a character options.  You see these in games like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, The Elder Scrolls, and hell, almost every western RPG out there.  What this game does is simplify it so that the every-man can have a better time creating a character.  I see Whiz posted theirs, too

By the way, how did you equip your characters?

For Marida (mage), I've got a Magic Might focus primary, deftness or evasion as secondary, and defense tertiary.  Uses wands, will have fans as secondary later.
For Fleta (thief), I focus on Deftness primary, Agility secondary, defense tertiary.  Uses daggers, will have boomerangs as secondary later.
For Eve (priest), I focus on Magic Mending primarily, and the secondary and tertiary stats are the same as Marida.  Uses staffs, dunno what I'll have for secondary.  Maybe bows, like I was originally going to give her.
For Treasa (gladiator), I focus on defense primary and strength secondary.  Axe primary, Sword secondary.

I kinda got sick of Treasa being so ungodly slow, so I went and got +40 agility from other classes (+20 from thief, +20 from ranger).  And oh, GOD it helps.  Sure, she's my tank, But an agility stat of 30ish just wasn't going to fly.  She ALWAYS went last... =_=  At least now she goes faster than some of the monsters out there...

Hoopa

I just equipped what I thought looked cool really. I've got my main using the best sword, the two DQ 3 look alikes using Erdrick's stuff, and the last person just wearing whatever. I'm really too strong now to bother with what armor helps the most etc.
"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

MaxiPower

I just expected a more critique approach on your behalf tho Role, You hate Tropes. I hate tropes, no talking Main character in GS was bareable... No talking main Character along other PC characters that serve no purpose to the story is unforgivable..

I dont like character creation in any game unless its a sports title or a game thats so obscure that created characters only adds to the unique experience.

BTW

Im only after getting the ship in the game

Hoopa

*facepalms*

Well then...

Anyway, how far is everyone in the game? I beat it in about 14 hrs the day I got it and am now working on the bonus dungeons.
"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

MaxiPower

Quote from: Whizkidhv on 18, July, 2010, 07:35:06 PM
*facepalms*

Well then...

Anyway, how far is everyone in the game? I beat it in about 14 hrs the day I got it and am now working on the bonus dungeons.

14 hours WTF... like I said i just got the boat 20 mins of gameplay ago and im 27 hours in...

And i have done no treasure maps nor any side quests... okay my DS could of been idle for a while but not that long... what level were you when you completed it

im
lv 22 minsterel
lv 20 Warrior
lv 21 Martial Artist
lv 20 Preist

Rolina

Wait, what?  Dood, how much did you level?!  Have you even got to Alltrades yet?  Or do you actually LIKE the minstrel class?  No wonder you've found it so easy, you're just going around killing everything instead of moving forward in plot!

I was 19 when I beat Master of Nu'un, and only hit 20 so as to round out the class before class changing to the one I wanted.  The only reason my character has so many points into it is because I didn't spend any into minstrel...

If you're not at Alltrades yet, then that'd explain why you're not liking it too much.  It gets a lot better once you get there, since you can really customize how you grow your characters.I'm 41 hours in, but that's only because I had a day spent checking to see if the game had the ability to pick up on other 'guests' if there's nobody around.  ...Nope.  No alien encounters like in WEWY.  Oh well.  So, adjusting for the time it was on when I wasn't playing, it's more accurate to say that I'm not but maybe 18 hours in.  I'm currently working on finding the fourth piece of Yggdrasil Fruit - the one with the living doll.

MaxiPower

Quote from: Role on 18, July, 2010, 08:03:18 PM
Wait, what?  Dood, how much did you level?!  Have you even got to Alltrades yet?  Or do you actually LIKE the minstrel class?  No wonder you've found it so easy, you're just going around killing everything instead of moving forward in plot!

I was 19 when I beat Master of Nu'un, and only hit 20 so as to round out the class before class changing to the one I wanted.  The only reason my character has so many points into it is because I didn't spend any into minstrel...

If you're not at Alltrades yet, then that'd explain why you're not liking it too much.  It gets a lot better once you get there, since you can really customize how you grow your characters.I'm 41 hours in, but that's only because I had a day spent checking to see if the game had the ability to pick up on other 'guests' if there's nobody around.  ...Nope.  No alien encounters like in WEWY.  Oh well.  So, adjusting for the time it was on when I wasn't playing, it's more accurate to say that I'm not but maybe 18 hours in.  I'm currently working on finding the fourth piece of Yggdrasil Fruit - the one with the living doll.

Ive done the doll part and the all trades building... the city of stone. etc, ive got a boat and am in a village in the desert (NE of map) havent really explored the city yet tho just went to save and am battleing to get money to get best armor etc...

I didnt change class as I dont fully understand how it works... I know If I choose a new class I go back to level one and I can change back and get my lv 22 thingy back... But what way does the stats work.. if I change do I become a weakling level 1 again..

BTW I mean I got the ship to own and not the one you get a single ride on

Hoopa

I dunno how much I leveled. I just fought everything on my way to and from a dungeon. Eventually the monsters just got really easy to beat and I sped through the game... I used all my skill points on one thing until it maxes, then switch classes to get more, max something else out, rinse, repeat.

You do become a weakling again. It's basically a reset to lvl 1. However, you keep all the skills you had. So for example: If you had some points in swords, they would still work in another class that could use swords, and any bonuses from class specific skill sets like the atk and hp boost from the Warrior's courage would also carry.

P.S. I was around... 60? 70? Somewhere round there. The usual level I end a DQ game at.

MaxiPower

Quote from: Whizkidhv on 18, July, 2010, 08:15:48 PM
You do become a weakling again. It's basically a reset to lvl 1. However, you keep all the skills you had. So for example: If you had some points in swords, they would still work in another class that could use swords, and any bonuses from class specific skill sets like the atk and hp boost from the Warrior's courage would also carry.

Ah right... doesnt sound to bad if I go back if it just makes me stronger...

(Easier to level and get more L+points.)

Btw is it true if you overtrain for a boss then there stats get better....

Rolina

Also:  If you got a skill that said "Natural Stat +##", you keep that boost.  You also keep ALL skills you learned.  As a result, Treasa now helps Fleta out when I'm going on stealing runs.  Class changing is very important to becoming strong.

@Boss:  Haven't heard about that.  All I know is for the first boss I underleveled and jumped up by two as a result, and for the second boss I was overleveled because I didn't know what half-inch did yet and wanted that evencloth the reapers dropped.  Right now... I probably am a bit overleveled, but that's because I ran into a bunch of Metal Medelies. Remember what I said about LOVING the assassin's dagger? ^-^

Hoopa

Lol. It's so easy to find metal enemies in this game too if you know where to look.

MaxiPower

*Off to alltrades Abbey*

What would your suggested classes be?

I like the speed of the Martial Artists..

Rolina

I know. ^-^

When I saw that metal slime in the crypt, I started avoiding everything but metal slimes for a while.  Hit level 18 easy.  Then the Metal Medelies showed up in the Bandit's Cave, and I'm 25-28 now (God, Fleta levels fast...)

MaxiPower

Quote from: Role on 18, July, 2010, 08:28:07 PM
I know. ^-^

When I saw that metal slime in the crypt, I started avoiding everything but metal slimes for a while.  Hit level 18 easy.  Then the Metal Medelies showed up in the Bandit's Cave, and I'm 25-28 now (God, Fleta levels fast...)

Ive only fought one metal medelies...

which cave was the bandit cave again...

Hoopa

The bestiary helps you know...

MaxiPower

Quote from: Whizkidhv on 18, July, 2010, 08:33:15 PM
The bestiary helps you know...

It just says "The Bad Cave"...

lol so many caves, between which villages?

Rolina

Bandit cave is where you fight the Tyrantula to save Miss Dollface.

Still, though, I can see it now:

"You!  You're different than the others!  You're here for Marion, aren't you?!"
"Huh?  Oh, what, THAT?  Nope, not my jurisdiction.  Maybe if this was Angel Falls, but it's not, so..."
"You can't have her!  You're not my friend."
"...I don't want her.  I want a boat."
*throws everyone out*
"...Looks like I've got to discipline the young brat... >_>"

MaxiPower

any particuler room in the bad cave? im in it now

Rolina

About half-way to two thirds in.  When you start seeing the monk lizard guys.  You know, the guys that look like FFTA Baanga White Monk rejects?  Around there.

Hoopa

Alright. New game time! Let's see how fast I can beat the game...!