Golden Sun Hacking Community
January 19, 2018, 10:55:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leaf's system  (Read 2111 times)
leaf
Potions class is starting
Venus Clan

Death Eater+Grass Snake = Snake Eater? SNAAAAAAAKE

Veteran Member

Coins: 10

« on: July 19, 2010, 11:22:32 PM »

Alright. Since role and I are doing things very differently, I'm gonna need my own thread. There will be a certain amount of c/p'ing from stuff I've previously written, although expect some things to change. I've also simplified my explanations where possible. Note that everything here is subject to change.

---

To start things off, when the game begins, each clan will be able to station 6 of their units (in this usage: characters) in each "zone" under their control. A zone is defined as an area on the world map where units can be stationed. All combat that takes place will be fought over the control of a given zone. Clans will start out controlling a number of zones equal to the number of commanders in their clan, with somewhere between a quarter and one-half of the map originally unoccupied. No more than 6 units from a given faction may be stationed in a zone at a time, and no more than 1 commander. A commander is a special unit with enhanced stats and the ability to use Djinn and Summons (more on that later); all PCs will be commanders, and in clans with fewer members, NPCs will fill in the remaining slots (all clans will have an equal number of commanders).

The game will progress in rounds, which are divided into three phases:
1) Negotiation
2) World (movement)
3) Combat

- In the Negotiation phase, the clans are free to speak with each other about the game. This is where forming alliances comes in. Knowing when to form and break alliances is a vital part of succeeding in this game.

- In the World phase, each clan decides how to move their troops about the world map. This is done simultaneously, without knowledge of the other clans' actions, and thus will require a third party to receive PMs from the clan leaders and post the results. Each unit is capable of moving through one zone each round.

- The Combat phase will begin if there are troops from opposing factions stationed within any given zone after the end of the World phase. Note this means there can be up to 24 units in any battle, 6 from each faction (although it would be fairly chaotic if this ever actually happened). A separate thread will be given to each battle. When all battles have been concluded, the round ends, all units are fully replenished in HP and PP, and the game returns to the Negotiation phase.

At the end of each round, clans will be given reinforcements equal to the number of zones they control divided by 4, rounded down to the nearest whole number. If this would give 0 reinforcements, it instead gives 1. So if a clan controls either anywhere between 1 and 7 zones, they will receive 1 reinforcement; if they control 8, 9, 10, or 11 zones, they will receive 2 reinforcements; if they control 12, 13, 14 or 15 zones, they will receive 3; etc. Reinforcements can be placed in any zone controlled by the clan, so long as it does not cause that zone to have more than 6 units. The exception to this is the clan's capitol, a special zone that can house any number of commanders, and up to 24 units total. However, enemies may also invade in equally large numbers. If a clan would receive reinforcements but cannot place them anywhere, the extra reinforcements are discarded.

A clan loses when all of its forces have been defeated or if its capitol is taken over. A clan wins when all other clans have lost. A clan can also win unconditionally if they ever control 75% or more of the map.

---

To expand on the Combat phase, battles can be concluded in one of the following ways:
1) Rout: One side defeats all enemies.
2) Retreat: One side chooses to retreat after 3 or more turns have passed. This is performed by reaching an exit point with a commander and declaring the intent to retreat.
3) Truce: Both sides agree to a temporary truce and cohabit the zone for the round.

On routs: Any unit defeated in combat, except for commanders, will die permanently. Commanders will survive, but will only come back after 1 round has passed, and will use up one of the reinforcements for the round in which they return. If a commander is defeated in combat, the battle will progress as normal, but without the option to retreat.

On retreating: Note that since the exit direction matters, this can be used strategically to gain control of adjacent land. You may not retreat to a zone where there is currently a battle being fought. You also may not retreat to a zone occupied by the clan you are currently fighting. And of course, you can never retreat from your own capitol. If retreating into a zone occupied by another clan, another battle will begin, which you will not have the option to retreat from. If retreating into a zone controlled by your own clan, during the next World phase, you must move your units in such a way that no more than 6 will be in any given zone (except the capitol, which can hold up to 24).

On truces: These can be agreed upon at any point in a battle, and will result in both clans occupying that zone at the beginning of the next World phase. If in the next round, neither choose to move, or if both choose to move to the same location, they will begin another battle. There is no limit to how many times a truce can be agreed upon. However, if a clan is cohabiting a zone with another clan, it will not count toward the percentage of the map they control, and thus cannot be used toward reinforcements or a win condition.

---

That should explain about everything that needs to be explained for the macro level of the game. The remainder of my posts will focus on the micro level (individual battles), including how battles will progress and how stat customization will work. Micro level stuff begins in the next post.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 07:37:47 AM by leafgreen386 » Logged

Spoiler for quotes:
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O
View Profile
leaf
Venus Clan

Veteran Member

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 11:22:46 PM »

Battle will take place in the style of a turn-based SRPG. Units will start out on (generally) opposite ends of a map. A grid will be placed on the map, and all measurements of movement and range will be based on the number of squares a unit is capable of reaching. Note that diagonals count as two panels of distance - one horizontal and one vertical.

During each player's turn, the turn player is capable of moving and selecting an action for each of his or her units. Order matters, as you cannot end your movement on an already occupied space. You also cannot move a unit through enemy units or obstacles, and must instead go around them. Units can have either 3, 4, or 5 movement range. In this game, you are allowed to move a unit either before or after acting, and moving/acting can be done separately. So, for example, you could attack with one unit, move with a second, attack then move with a third, move then attack with a fourth, then move the first, and then finally attack with the second. Note, however, that you cannot move, attack, and move again with the same unit, unless specifically allowed to by another ability. The ability to move and attack separately will become of great importance when you start worrying about how to set up sieges and supports (explained later).

The following are the choices each unit has for acting:
1) Attack - Uses the unit's basic attack. Different types of units have different attack ranges. Requires selecting a single target enemy.
2) Psynergy - Casts offensive, support, or healing psynergy. May require selecting a target panel, target enemy, or target ally. Offensive area psynergies do not need to center the attack on a valid enemy target. Note that area psys will not harm ally units, and do suffer damage depreciation as they radiate away from the target point. Area psys are done via base damage, as in GS, and have splash range that replicates their range in the original game (except in two dimensions).
3) Defend - Replaces the oft-used Hold Position or Standby used in other SRPGs. Causes the unit to take a defensive position without attacking. Performing a Defend will reduce all damage taken by half until the end of your opponent's next turn.
4) Djinn - Uses a Djinni's effect, similar in function to GS. This is a Commander-only action, and is usually a powerful supporting or offensive skill. They are limited in use and every two Djinn will reduce the Commander's stats until the Djinn are set back again.
5) Summon - The other Commander-only action, uses standby Djinn to perform a powerful attack. Djinn are progressively set back to the user over the next several turns.  Summons can target any panel on the entire battlefield, and will damage every enemy, but quickly diminish in power as you go further away from the point of impact.

To go slightly more in detail, the attack range of a unit depends entirely upon their weapon selection, which also impacts their stats. A unit's area psynergy range and movement range together must equal 6, unless the unit is a mage, in which case it equals 7. This means that physically oriented move 5 units will have only 1 panel of range for area psys, move 4 units will have 2, and move 3 units will have 3. EPA psynergies are restricted to whatever a unit's default physical range is. Support and healing psynergies have the same range regardless of the movement level of the caster, and regardless of whether or not they are a mage.

---

The following mechanics are also in play:

Counters: Every unit gets one counterattack, in the form of their basic attack. Mages can counterattack using a single-target 0 PP version of their strongest spell, using their default psynergy range. However, any damage dealt by this 0 PP spell will be halved. This attack is also available on the player's turn, mostly to be used as a ranged finisher against a low HP foe. Only mace, staff, and ankh wielders may use this attack.

Pre-Movement Bonuses: While mages will normally receive an additional panel of range for their offensive psynergy, if a mage attacks before moving, their psynergy range will be increased by 2 instead of 1. This bonus only applies to offensive area psynergy, and does not apply to their 0 PP spell.

Supports: If two units are stationed directly next to each other (not diagonally) and are both in range of the attacker's target, a passive unit may aid the attacker and attack as well, without using up their action for the turn (even if said unit has already acted). The supporting unit's attack will only be a basic attack - one that it's capable of using when counterattacking. Up to 4 units may support at one time, but if the foe survives, they will be able to counterattack the original attacker and all supporting units (that are within range).

Sieges: By surrounding an opponent and attacking all at once, you can cut off a foe's ability to counterattack. Participating in a siege will use up that unit's action for the turn, unlike supports, and any attack may be used (even area psynergy, which will be centered on the foe being sieged). Sieges also boost damage dealt of the attacks for each character participating in the siege, and the damage bonus will be extended to all targets of an area psynergy, even if they were not originally in the line of the siege. A siege requires one of the following: 1) flanking an opponent from both sides, which gives a 10% damage bonus, 2) approaching from both the front and back, which also gives a 10% damage bonus, 3) surrounding the foe on any three sides, which gives a 20% damage bonus, or 4) surrounding the foe on all 4 sides, which gives a 40% damage bonus. You cannot initiate a siege by attacking from just the back and side, or front and side; at least two of the participating units must be directly across from one another. Furthermore, if there are additional units within the line of the siege (for example, 2 units in front of a foe and 1 unit behind it), they can participate as well, but it will not count as a support if they do.

You'll notice sieges and supports are sort of designed to balance each other out. While you might be able to get many attacks each turn with supports, you'll be wrecked by area psynergies, especially if the foe can set up a siege and get the damage bonus on them. But if you aim to split up your troops for the purpose of setting up a siege, you'll be easier to pick off one by one, or even get sieged yourself. Both options carry their own risk and reward.

---

I'm not completely finished with the stat system yet, but there will be two parts to it: Stat point investment, and class bonuses. I'll post up the stat point investment section when I finish it, but for now I'm gonna focus on the class bonuses.

There are four primary stats: HP, PP, Atk, and Def. The total of those four class bonuses should equal 410%, with no stat having less than 70% and no stat having more than 140%. Weapon choice influences how much you have to spend on class bonuses, and may raise or lower your allotted total, but at no time may any stat leave the 70%-140% range. Weapons are different depending on the movement level of the unit, but are roughly divided into one range 1 weapon, one range 1-2 weapon, one mage weapon, and two types of bows.

Move 5 weapons: All have Psynergy Range 1 unless otherwise noted.
Light Blade - Range 1. Gives no bonus.
Scythe - Range 1-2. Gives -40% bonus.
Mace - Range 1. Gives Psynergy Range 1-2 and 1-3 pre-move. Gives -20% bonus.
Short Bow - Range 2. Gives -20% bonus.
Short Crossbow - Range 3. Gives -30% bonus.

Move 4 weapons: All have Psynergy Range 1-2 unless otherwise noted.
Long Sword - Range 1. Gives +20% bonus.
Spear - Range 1-2. Gives -20% bonus.
Staff - Range 1. Gives Psynergy Range 1-3 and 1-4 pre-move. Gives no bonus.
Bow - Range 2-3. Gives -20% bonus.
Crossbow - Range 3-4. Gives -30% bonus.

Move 3 weapons: All have Psynergy Range 1-3 unless otherwise noted.
Axe - Range 1. Gives +40% bonus.
Halberd - Range 1-2. Gives no bonus.
Ankh - Range 1. Gives Psynergy Range 1-4 and 1-5 pre-move. Gives +20% bonus.
Long Bow - Range 2-4. Gives -20% bonus.
Long Crossbow - Range 3-5. Gives -30% bonus.

Again, all numbers are subject to change.

See next post.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:07:43 AM by leafgreen386 » Logged

Spoiler for quotes:
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
View Profile
leaf
Venus Clan

Veteran Member

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 11:22:55 PM »

Scratching my old weapon system, and finishing the first draft of the stat system. This should pretty much finish things up except for the djinn. I don't like only having 4 stats, so I'm currently thinking of adding elemental power and resist and going with this for the class bonus values:

Stat: Min% | Pre-bonus value | Max%

HP:  80% | 110% | 150%
PP:  70% | 100% | 140%
Atk: 70% | 100% | 140%
Def: 70% | 100% | 140%
Pow: 80% | 110% | 150%
Res: 50% | 80% | 120%

Extra: 250% | 70% | -170%
Total: 670%

The "Extra" row indicates how many points a player has left to spend if that column was their current stat total. Each stat has a min of -30% and a max of +40%, and all adjustments must be in multiples of 5%. Note that Pow and Res are both equal to 100 by default and cannot be amplified by base stat alterations.

Like I said before, I also wanna change up the way I'm doing weapons.

I'm keeping the psynergy range: 6 - mov
Which becomes 7 - mov when a staff/ankh is equipped, and 8 - mov when a staff/ankh is equipped and the character has yet to move that turn.

For armor:
+150 Def - mov3
+135 Def - mov4
+120 Def - mov5

---

Min stats:
HP: 385
PP: 95
Atk: 125
Def: 45
Total: 650

Max stats:
HP: 835
PP: 285
Atk: 250
Def: 125
Total: 1495

Difference:
HP: 450 (150)
PP: 190 (95)
Atk: 125
Def: 80
Total: 845 (450)

*Note: Points invested into HP return three times the amount put in, and points invested into PP return two times the amount put in. It is possible to exceed 450 points to spend, however, it is mandatory for every unit to invest into at least 50 CCP (Character Creation Points) into offensive (damaging) psynergy, which cost CCP equal to the highest tiered spell's PP cost (for base damage psynergy), or two times the purchased psynergy's casting cost (for EPAs); support and healing psynergy cost five times the highest tiered spell's PP cost. Purchasing a psynergy will also purchase all lower tiered versions of that psynergy (e.g. spending 60 CCP on high impact will also get you impact). Note that you can spend any whole number value of CCP in a stat as long as you don't go over the max; you're not limited to multiples of 5.

---

"Weights"

Weight 0: Magic
Staff = +100 Atk, +20 base to offensive spells
Ankh = +90 Atk, +30% Res
Both give +1 casting range and conditional +2 casting range before moving. They also enable the 0 PP single-target spell. Physical range is 1.

Weight 1: Light Range 1
Light Blade = +170 Atk
Mace = +135, 1.5x counterattack damage

Weight 2: Heavy Range 1
Long Sword = +200 Atk
Axe = +160 Atk, 1.5x counterattack damage

Weight 3: Range 1-2
Spear= +145 Atk
Halberd = +115 Atk, 1.5x counterattack damage

Weight 4: Range 2-3
Short Bow = +120 Atk

Weight 5: Range 2-4
Mid Bow = +110 Atk

Weight 6: Range 2-5
Long Bow = +100 Atk

---

5 and below: (500 CCP)
Mages
1rl mov4 / 1rl mov3
1r mov3

6: (450 CCP)
1rl mov5
1r mov4
1-2r mov3

7: (400 CCP)
1r mov5
1-2r mov4
2-3r mov3

8: (350 CCP)
1-2r mov5
2-3r mov4
2-4r mov3

9: (300 CCP)
2-3r mov5
2-4r mov4
2-5r mov3

10: (250 CCP)
2-4r mov5
2-5r mov4

11: (200 CCP)
2-5r mov5

---

On Commanders:

Each clan will be permitted the same number of commanders, so clans with fewer members will have NPC commanders to fill in. These commanders will be treated the same as any other clan member, except that they are no specific clan member's avatar character. Clans will split control of the NPC commanders in whatever way they choose.

Each battle can only include one commander from each side. While you can do battle without a commander, using one commander and five non-commanders in a battle is recommended, and doing otherwise is handicapping yourself. This is also why you cannot move a commander into a zone where one of your clan's commanders is currently stationed. The only exception to this is of course the previously mentioned clan capitol, which can hold any number of commanders.

Standard commanders will receive an additional +10% bonus to all stats (including pow and res) and be capable of using djinn and summons. Clan seconds will receive +20% to all stats, and clan heads will receive +30%. More on djinn and summons later. When playing the game solely on a micro level (ie. outside of clan wars), clan seconds and clan heads will not exist (only the standard +10% commander will), and any element character can be used on a team.

---

Obviously still a WIP.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:18:46 AM by leafgreen386 » Logged

Spoiler for quotes:
---
---
---
---
---
---
View Profile
Charon
On Probation
Veteran Member

Coins: 11

Emblems: GBA Music Expert
Clan Position: Trickster Goddess of Luna

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 10:40:32 PM »

I have a quick question about this - if we were to use irregularly shaped maps, could you block off a certain part of a map with you troops and claim the blocked off area as occupied space, or would you need to place reinforcements there?
View Profile
leaf
Venus Clan

Veteran Member

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 12:43:03 AM »

Since you can't pass through enemy units, you could indeed block off sections of the map with your troops.

Spoiler for quotes:
---
---
---
---
---
---
View Profile
leaf
Venus Clan

Veteran Member

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 01:26:56 AM »

Bumping this to let everyone know I've updated (finally). Check the third post of the thread.

edit: Damage and stat calculators now available. A few things have changed since I started writing them, so that will be updated as well. If anyone has any questions about how to use them or suggestions for features to add, lemme know. The game is complete enough right now that initial testing of the micro level can be done, so I'll be needing volunteers to help with that. The only thing left to add is djinn and summons, really (which only affect the commanders).

I've also got a tentative title now: The War For Weyard.

* WFW Stat + Damage Calculators.xls (41.5 KB - downloaded 208 times.)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 03:34:26 AM by leafgreen386 » Logged

Spoiler for quotes:
---
---
---
---
---
---
View Profile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
January 17, 2018, 04:07:51 PM
KyleRunner: :D
January 16, 2018, 08:44:56 PM
Fox: I must say... life can be complicated..... when you have question(s) (via email) ... and it seems like they sort of get ignored. :D ; Fun, (And sometimes, a person may respond, and completely not answer the question.... so like... 3-person conversation.) Hahahaha!!
January 15, 2018, 07:26:16 PM
Fox: (path) 1 text=(address) char=(address) free=(address) ; << Well, closer to this... but yeah... even if I do choose to have defaults in the code, I could still use this method for overrides.
January 15, 2018, 07:24:28 PM
Fox: So like (path) 0 text=(address) char=(address) len=(number) ; (path) 1 free=(address) ; Or something. But that's just a quick example.
January 15, 2018, 06:59:14 PM
Fox: Hopefully. I was wanting to make it so you could put in the addresses/etc. as one of the arguments in the path. Hm?
January 15, 2018, 03:37:07 PM
KyleRunner: Nice! I hope you'll add compatibility with others games (GS1, Mario Golf and Tennis) soon.
January 14, 2018, 11:40:09 PM
Fox: Okay. Posted (in Downloads section) an initial cutdown version for now, for my text compressor. Basically to separate the code from my Editor for anyone who wants to mess with it. It only supports GS2, because I still didn't add the addresses/etc. for the other games.
January 14, 2018, 05:01:00 PM
Fox: Okay! Going to need to think how I want it to work. Initial thoughts is maybe have a number of arguments in the filepath thing. And have a number of shortcuts (files) to be used as examples. Assuming there are no problems.
January 14, 2018, 10:38:24 AM
KyleRunner: Well... I'm used to editing text ina a text editor, so... yes! Thanks in advance!
January 13, 2018, 11:38:43 PM
Fox: (Text editor = Text Document like notepad.)
January 13, 2018, 11:38:21 PM
Fox: Would you prefer during the text editing in a text editor? (Like what gstoolkit lets you do?) I could probably make a separate tool or something to compress it.
January 13, 2018, 10:10:02 PM
KyleRunner: Ok. Once I finish my Lost Age translation, I'll try a Mario Golf one. Thanks. (But I'll need help).
January 13, 2018, 10:03:17 PM
Fox: If you want to make it "permanent" (part of a hack), then you'd edit code in the ROM that writes to this location of the IDs you'd want to change. (You can find these locations by using a breakpoint debugger like SDL-H or no$gba.)
January 13, 2018, 10:00:11 PM
Fox: Reload/switch = Recommended to be done through Debug mode/warp menu, ofcourse... since doors seem to appear as if they were disabled? ; 03001238:01 and B+Start to get to warp menu.
January 13, 2018, 09:55:39 PM
Fox: @Kyle Runner = It might be, but you'd have to use the correct addresses for Mario Golf, rather than for GS2 as I have it right now. ; @raijinken = Yes. 02000454 = ID of leader. (Change this and reload/switch room you are in, enjoy.)
January 13, 2018, 02:23:29 PM
raijinken: Hey guys, is it possible to somehow change the lead character on the map? Was wondering. I remember there was a cheat to use Jenna, but what if I wanted Isaac, or Piers?
January 13, 2018, 02:10:03 PM
KyleRunner: Hey, Fox *
January 13, 2018, 02:09:37 PM
KyleRunner: Hey, is your text editor compatible with Mario Golf (GBA)?
January 11, 2018, 08:33:13 PM
Fox: But if it isn't an oversight, I still can't imagine it being that useful.
January 11, 2018, 08:28:24 PM
Fox: part, ofcourse.

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise