News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

This Sucks........

Started by zach, 20, May, 2009, 06:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zach

Well, pretty much, yesterday my brother's computer (the computer that I was hacking GS:TLA) while I was at school (which was also the day of my spring concert so I had to stay there all day) got a multitude of viruses. It was so bad, that he had to literally take apart his computer just to fix it. However, in doing so, he lost all his non-default programs. I didn't get home till 10 something PM, so I couldn't do nothing. So pretty much, I have to start my hack from the beginning, which I really do not want to do now . Since I didn't have a flash-drive, I kept my progress in a notepad, but that's gone too. So do you guys think I should start over, or wait later?

Rolina

YOWCH!  Where'd the viruses come from?  Typically, so long as you practice safe surfing, you won't catch those DTDs (Digitally Transmitted Diseases)... Did they snag a bad torrent, pull a stupid and open a spam email, or does your brother have quite a bit of explaining to do?

Zach

Quote from: Role on 20, May, 2009, 11:33:00 PMYOWCH!  Where'd the viruses come from?  Typically, so long as you practice safe surfing, you won't catch those DTDs (Digitally Transmitted Diseases)... Did they snag a bad torrent, pull a stupid and open a spam email, or does your brother have quite a bit of explaining to do?
His anti-virus subscription ran out a few days ago, but I didn't expect that to happen, but it may have come from the Ares program. It usually doesn't [insert naughty word here!] up my computer, but thats the only thing I can think of  

twocows

This is a little late coming, but I recommend always keeping an offline backup of any work you're doing if it's important. Flash drives or external hard drives work well, as long as you don't lose them.

As for virus protection, try Avast!. Other free options are avira and AVG.

weckar

wow, what kind of virus was this? I've had a Virut once (welcome to hell) but nothing that required me to take my computer apart  

Rolina

I use AVG.  It tends to work pretty well.  Much better than BitDefender did, since BitDefender decided to suddenly drop its Vista Support half a year after I bought it (it was a two year license, too...).

I've had nothing to complain about for AVG, though.

Charon

Ouch. That's gotta hurt.

You mean you couldn't run the compy or anything? Yikes.

Yeah, the ones twocows suggested are good. And sometimes with a virus it's possible to track the file down and delete it, but make sure you know what you're doing. I did that a while back with some random program running that I got through [BLEEEEEP!]ing and [BLEEEEEEEP!]ing.

Funny thing is, while doing all that bad [bleeeeeeep!]ing stuff, I got like 5 viruses, and I never got a virus from here, GSR or Pokecommunity (the 3 sites I mainly visit).

So make sure he watches his sites and gets one of those free malware protection programs twocows suggested.

...did you fix it?