News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Golden Sun Save Game Editor (Version 2.0)

Started by powered_by_tux, 23, July, 2010, 09:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

powered_by_tux

1. Changelog
[v2.0a - 2012/07/26]
- Added thumbnail to show what kind of savegame is loaded
- Fixed problem with item selection

[v2.0 - 2012/07/25]
- It is now possible to edit Golden Sun (Book One) savegames
- Added party editing (Note: For the sake of ease, the order of the party characters is reset when enabling/disabling party members)
- Vastly improved stability when loading savegames
- Various other improvements

[v1.2 - 2011/07/22]
- Added difficulty editing (Note: Easy mode is just like Normal mode with altered character stats, therefore it is not selectable)
- Added character editing (Name, Level, Exp, Base Stats. Note: you need to chage the characters classes for all changes to become apparent)
- More verbose error messages and countless changes under the hood

[v1.1b - 2011/03/15]
- Finally fixed optional boss editing

[v1.1a - 2011/01/20]
- Fixed Mercury and Jupiter Djinn acquisition bits

[v1.1 - 2010/12/21]
- Item icons added
- Items are sorted by name for more consistency
- Fixed a grave mistake concerning optional boss editing
- More verbose error messages
- Fixed save game not being loaded via file association

2. Features

As the name implies, the GS:TLA Save Game Editor is an editor to edit GS:TLA (not GS1/TBS) save game files. It lets you edit various aspects of a save game. The following list shows what is currently possible to edit:

• Items
  • Djinns
  • Chracter Stats
  • Summons
  • and more

More things are to come, currently planned: Psynergy & Class editing. Please note that the item values were extracted from one of the guides. Some of the values showed to be incorrect. I have already made a few corrections but there still may be wrong values. If you get a different item in-game than you have edited, please let me know. Also, let me know of any errors, typos, suggestions or if you need help with the editor.

The editor does automatically calculate the checksum of each save file, so the is no need for the user to agonize over that. So far the calculations were pretty reliable. Should a save slot become inaccessible after editing, submit the save file to me and I will have a look at it. The editor can also 'repair' save slots that are inaccessible because of a manually edited incorrect checksum or data corruption. Simply load up the damaged save file in the editor and save to write back the repaired file.

3. Requirements

To run the editor, you need to have the Java Runtime Environment installed. You should really install it, because a few great apps need it and you also get a browser plugin needed to run Java applets on some websites. If you have not, get it here for your system: http://www.java.com/ . Once installed, just double-click the downloaded Jar file to start the editor. If you have trouble to get it to run, don't hesitate to contact me.

4. How to use

IMPORTANT: Always make a backup of your save file BEFORE editing.

First, you have to load a TLA save game. Make sure the file extension is .sav or .SAV. Once successfully loaded, you can use the mostly self-explaining editing components. You can select the save slot from the top bar. Note that the slot order in the editor does NOT correspond to the one in game. It is not yet known how to get the order but you should be able to recognize your save slot by the info panel. Make sure to save your changes.

A final and interesting note: when you start a new file, the data and inventory are created for ALL eight characters. This means you can edit the data of characters who are not yet part of your party, notably Piers and the GS party. When you meet up with them, they will sport all the changes made in the editor. You can use this to make data transfer obsolete.

5. Screenshots
Note: The graphical interface may look differently on your system.

6. Known Limitations

• Characters have wrong stat values/classes than edited. This cannot be handled by the editor. Change classes of a character to update its stats and class.
  • Identical Djinn cannot be unleashed in the same turn. This is another game limitation.

7. Download

Go into the Downloads section of this board

Merry Christmas everyone,

powered_by_tux

leaf

Sounds awesome. You have no idea how much easier this will make playtesting hacks. Especially the djinn editing.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

BlazingPhoenix

Why Java? There's so many better languages to pick from. x_X

Atrius (He/Him)

Like GML was good choice for programming my editor in. >_>

Sounds like a plan, save game editing functionality is not something I ever intended to add to my editor.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

powered_by_tux

EDIT: Please check the first post.

Griever

Is it possible to post a Mediafire link as well? I can not download from megaupload for some reason.

powered_by_tux

Sure, I have added a MF link, check the first post.

Also, I made a small update to the editor: edited Djinn are now correctly marked as acquired allowing entrance to Anemos Inner Sanctum without data transfer.

Griever

Thanks a lot.

Edit: when i double click it nothing happens, i know i already have java installed since i use 2 other programs with *.jar and they open .. but this one isn't .. not sure if its my computer or its the application itself.

powered_by_tux

That's strange. It was working on Linux so I suspect that there was something wrong with the windowing toolkit. How embarassing! I will test future versions on Windows before releasing them.

At any rate, I have uploaded an updated version that should now definitely work.

Griever

It worked thanks a lot.

Errrrr it's Felix not Feliz ....

powered_by_tux

Quote from: DarkGriever on 19, December, 2010, 01:12:55 PM
It worked thanks a lot.

Errrrr it's Felix not Feliz ....

I'm pretty sure it says Felix everywhere.

Have you named your character "Feliz"? The editor takes the character's names from the save file.

Griever

Then never mind i used my friend's save so he probably used that name. Sorry to bother you.

Crystal Sonata

-Edited-
Anything I post here is solely my opinion, and is not proven fact, unless I specify otherwise.

If I say anything that offends you, grow a set.

Atrius (He/Him)

There's always the downloads section here as well.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

powered_by_tux

Thanks for your assistance. I have just uploaded the editor to the Downloads section on this site. This will make updating much easier for me. Should you be discontented with the download speed, I will upload it somewhere else on request.

The uploaded version has been update since the prior release. An update is strongly recommended.

PS: It's kinda intriguing to stand out due to ones grammar. No big deal, I like it.  :happy:

Crystal Sonata

-Edited-
Anything I post here is solely my opinion, and is not proven fact, unless I specify otherwise.

If I say anything that offends you, grow a set.

GSeriesFan

I just learned how to edit money in the save file of golden sun and now i see that you re aldready making your own GS Save Editor... i had that ideia too, but since you had it first, well, lets hope it s a good save editor.

Roareye

Interesting. This seems to have some pretty nice features. I'd still stick to Cheat Engine when actually tweaking/editing something in-game, though.
I may be a bit rusty now... but lightning still flows through my veins.

The moon of Jupiter.

Rolina

I don't think that's the same, you know.  We're not doing this to cheat, but rather to get to places in the game we need to test.  We can't keep making a new game every time we change something past where we're at in the save file, or have to play for hours just to reach the point we're trying to test.

It's not something you can really do with simple cheats.  In fact, it kind of defeats the point of testing balance when you're using cheats.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Who said Cheat Engine was only for cheating? It can do a lot of crazy stuff.. Like keep a pointer constant... Etc.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)