News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

First Impressions: Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

Started by Berthenk, 29, July, 2010, 07:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berthenk

Something interesting found on the interwebz:
http://ds.nintendolife.com/news/2010/07/first_impressions_golden_sun_dark_dawn
It's going to be as awesome as I thought it would!
Also, sorry if this has already been posted, or if it's in the wrong section.

Charon

If the touch controls seem to be so wonky, I'm getting a bit worried. If the D-pad supplies a reliable backup, though, I won't have any problems.

Aile~♥

Well, for Fireball you can just press A (I think it was A anyway) to launch a fireball. So for things that call for being hit with multiple fireballs, just mash the button.

And for Move, you can probably just touch target the thing you want to move, then use the D-pad to move it.

The touch controls aren't really wonky from what I saw, it's just that you have to move the stylus a bit slower than you'd expect for the Fireball spell. People in the demo vids kept rushing the stylus forward as fast as they could, when you have to go kind of slow for it to work.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

To be honest, I would prefer using the d-pad for walking around. I hated it when the Zelda games required me to run around with the stylus (as well as attack, roll, etc.), as I would often jump off of ledges when I was not trying to. If I have to use the stylus for psynergy only (and maybe a few puzzles), I would not mind it as much... Providing that I can start it with a button click or two.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

leaf

As long as the option is there (it should be from what we've heard), I'll be using the +pad and buttons to do everything. Just the kind of gamer I am.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Rolina

Aye.  I only use the touchpad for a few games - like WEWY.  I personally prefer the d-pad, though.

Charon

I would be shocked to discover if they didn't use the Dpad as a reliable back up simple because every other game I've ever played that's been like that has. I might use the stylus for casting psynergy though if it is easier.

But the stylus driven menu for the battle? Man, that makes it so much easier!

Salanewt

The battle menu is nice with the stylus, especially since it looks like they changed how psynergy selection works. As for the D-pad, I was very surprised when Zelda did not use it (although almost every other game that I have played has it for movement or backup).

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Charon

Oh, really? Yeah I've played a lot of stylus driven-moving titles but never touched the LoZ titles. :/

I'm just really worried if the stylus-driven overworld will make it difficult to cast certain overworld psynergies.

Rolina

They're horrible.  Everything you do is done with the stylus.  While this works for some games, like WEWY, it's VERY counter-intuitive for a game like LoZ.

Salanewt

Yet Nintendo never recieved the memo after Phantom Hourglass, so the controls remain the same for Spirit Tracks. Of course, I doubt that Golden Sun will have this problem.

Have a nice day.

Rolina

Now you see why I don't play the DS Zelda games.  The controls suck.  All they are are tech demos for what the touch screen is capable of... too bad it's more frustrating than fun.

Scribblenauts learned this.  The next game adds a DPad control scheme.

thenightsshadow

Actually, coming from a person that plays left-handed, I'm glad they nixed the whole D-Pad control system since I can't even use it.  Left hand on the stylus means that most games are left-handed unfriendly.

I guess my experience of both Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass (both beaten within a week) is different than yours.
Don't bug me too much.  After all, the 'shadow is always Sirius.

Salanewt

Probably, although the time limit before beating them is relatively the same (which is why I dislike Toon Link games over the rest of the Zelda series). Personally, having a choice between D-pad and stylus is nice, like in the remake of Super Mario 64. I would love to play with the D-Pad, although psynergy with the stylus would be nice (to allow for more complex puzzles, as we will have to be careful of the direction from which we aim). By the way, I have a strange feeling like we are almost completely off topic.

Have a nice day.

Roareye

I think that I will really miss those flat but flashy psyenergy effects from the GBA versions. I was worried that they wouldn't be able to replicate them in 3D. Still, the plotline seems fine enough.

And about the D-pad war here -> I've never used anything more than a D-pad to move in a DS game. Like in Pokemon Rangers, for example. I just don't feel it. Using the touch screen to move around isn't my thing.

PS: Haven't been here in a while, hmm. Gotta upload some battle savestates I made. [I think that's funnier than making a whole hack. And easier/faster. By the way, I hope that psyenergy/item names will be editable in the next version of the editor.]
I may be a bit rusty now... but lightning still flows through my veins.

The moon of Jupiter.

Rolina

...But they were ALREADY in 3D, just flattened 3D.  The original GS games used loads of 3D.

Salanewt

To be fair, most of the graphics mostly replicated it, but there may be some actual 3D in it if I remember correctly. It almost looked like 2.5D or something.

As for the flashes and the rings, they might make a comeback. We have only really seen demo videos and trailers so far, there are still things to change before it comes out. It is also rare to have a release date before Japan does, although they could easily have a release data determined which makes it available before North America.

Have a nice day.

Rolina

No, seriously.  Part of the problems atrius is having in the editor have to do with the third axis on the maps.  The models are also 3D renders that have been flattened so as to be able to fit onto the GBA.  That's one of the reasons making a good custom battle sprite is going to be difficult, to....

Salanewt

Oh yeah, I forgot about that (although I thought that the sprites were actually 2D). Most of what I have been working with lately is in 2D, even though there is a z-axis in virtually every aspect of the games, and I forgot that Golden Sun sprites are actually 3D models. Making sprites might not be too hard, but getting them to work and look good when working is another thing. Of course, Dark Dawn seems to have stepped up their overworld polygons a bit (just look at their larger bodies, including actual hands and feet).

Have a nice day.

Rolina

Sprites were FLATTENED 3D, cut to limited directions in order to conserve space.  At least, the battle ones are, for sure.  Dunno about the overworld ones, but I'd not be surprised.  Luckily, we can fudge the overworld ones due to the lack of detail...

The battle sprites, though... Hoo boy, that'll be a doozy.  It's one thing to add a new weapon, it's another to create a totally new sprite.  Your experiments with 'Samantha' showed that much - even you should be aware that it seemed flat compared to the canons.  Your Link is really well done, though.  I can see him with a Blade, Sword, Hammer, and... What other melee weapons did he have?