News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Holidays

Started by Charon, 20, September, 2010, 12:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charon

Considering how bare the list of holidays are, I decided to add a few. Know any that may be missing? Feel free to suggest them (especially Canadian/religious holidays).

A few notes:
-Please list the day the holiday. If it occurs on a different day each year, list the dates from years 2010-2012.
-Don't list holidays whose dates are based on other holidays (ex. Good Friday, Yom Kippur)
-If a holiday is nation exclusive, please list the country.

thenightsshadow

July 1 = Canada Day.  It's the equivalent of July 4 for America.
Don't bug me too much.  After all, the 'shadow is always Sirius.

Salanewt

Ooh, nice topic! Also...

Thanksgiving (Canada) - 11 of October. For other years, it is the second Monday of October.

2011 - 10th of October
2012 - 8th of October

We also have Family Day. I think it is on the third Monday of the month during February. This is only celebrated in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Ontario (as far as I know). I think Arizona has one of these in August too, although I am not fully sure about that.

2011 - 21st of February
2012 - 20th of February

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

MaxiPower

Saint Patrick's Day

17th of March

Ireland

Rolina

The day the editor was created = Day of Creation (GSHC Lore Holiday). The Sol Festival is held on this day.  IIRC, it's October 10th.
The day the clans were created = Division Day (GSHC Lore Holiday).  Wards are made on this day to discourage the Lunar Goddess' mischief.  May 23, IIRC.
Jupiter's answer to election day = Dies Jovis (GSHC Lore Holiday).  Roughly, "Day of Jupiter".  It's June 8th.

The other clans should have the day of their first election be named, but the naming of it should be up to that clan.  I'm not going to name Venus' day because I'm not a sucky element Venusian.

Charon

Quote from: Salanewt on 20, September, 2010, 03:23:54 PM
We also have Family Day. I think it is on the third Monday of the month during February. This is only celebrated in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Ontario (as far as I know). I think Arizona has one of these in August too, although I am not fully sure about that.

2011 - 21st of February
2012 - 20th of February

Have a nice day.
Hrm, we should probably stick to national/international holidays...

Quote from: MaxiPower on 20, September, 2010, 08:55:59 PM
Saint Patrick's Day

17th of March

Ireland
We already have that...

Salanewt

National or International? Sounds good.

I forget the exact date of our election, but it was near the end of June. Besides, our clan has been so inactive that we are almost nearing the time when our fourth election is supposed to happen (at least for moderator promotion), even though there has been virtually no activity since the middle of July. I am also not fully sure if those would be considered actual holidays?

As for another holiday, we have Victoria Day. We celebrate this in memory of Queen Victoria (almost like Queen's Day for some of the other former Commonwealth countries, although I think we celebrate Queen Elizabeth's birthday at around the same time).

2011 - 23rd of May
2012 - 21st of May

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Can't you look it up?  It should be in the election thread.  It's the date of the post confirming your elected status.

Also:  Let's just do it annually.  It's too much of a hassle to do it monthly.

Charon

No clan related holidays, but full forum holidays are fine (that means no clan lore... but things like the editor's anniversary are fine). (Also, my birthday's March 23, but since birthdays are already on the calandar... unless it really is May 23rd you're talking about)

Sorry for being a pooper in that sense but some people don't really do the whole clan thing. If I could I'd add a seperate calandar for the clan area so you guys can schedule events.

Also, don't forget, I'm adding 2010's years as well (even though we may have already passed that date), it would really help if you posted the dates for 2010.

Rolina

Quote from: Charon the Ferryman on 21, September, 2010, 11:56:17 AM
No clan related holidays
Then WHAT, pray tell, is the purpose of this thread?  There's this magical thing called the internet, perhaps you've heard of it?  You can easily wiki the answer and fill everything out.

Of course, I'm sure everyone would MUCH RATHER have forum events than some random holiday that only a single member has heard of.  ESPECIALLY elections - if the clan election day is coming up, that "upcoming events" thing we have near the bottom will serve as a GREAT reminder that, "Hey, clan XYZ, guueeeess what?  Election time!"  There's also a ton of clan lore you can do - and get this - YOU DON'T HAVE TO MAKE THE PARTIES EXCLUSIVE TO CLANNED, EITHER.  It'd become a forum holiday.

For example, the first one?  It's the DAY THE EDITOR ITSELF WAS CREATED.  The anniversary/birthday of the EDITOR.  Why AREN'T we celebrating this?  The second one is the anniversary of the creation of the clans!

There's plenty of things we can do that can involve the entire forum.  If you just want real world holidays, lock this thread and look it up yourself.

Charon

...It's for Canadian (or other national) and religious holidays...

Clans are clan specific, and those who do not participate in clans would have no interest in it. I certainly don't, and there are a few other members that don't either. I can't clog up the entire calandar for a bunch of clan-specific stuff. If I could, I would make a seperate calandar for all that, only accessable to the clans, and they would have permissions to change it themselves. That way, it'd be a lot easier for you guys to update the clan calandar for whatever reason, as well.

If you look, I added the Editor's anniversary on there. It's a full-forum thing, so it makes sense.

Rolina

Canadian or other national.  So basically what you're saying is holidays from everywhere?  Wouldn't it be easier to look it up, or google it?

Also, what's the harm in having more creative names than "TLA Editor's Anniversary"?

Salanewt

Yeah, but then the calendar only really has American holidays otherwise, as the calendar had them already. For example, July 4th is only really celebrated as Independence Day in the US, whereas we have our Canada Day. I think Charon had days that are based on real life in mind. I mean, the Internet isn't exactly a place, just a system that is hosted in certain locations, and accessed by everyone in their cooresponding countries from those places.

Have a nice day.

Rolina

Sala, the point I was trying to make was that if she only wanted real life holidays, she could have looked them up herself.  This thread has no point to it unless it's also including forum-lore based holidays.  Otherwise it's just showing our Admin's laziness.

Salanewt

Not necessarily. I mean, how is she to know the nationalities of every member? It is better to ask people for holidays that they celebrate than to try to record every single holiday (some of which have a chance of being celebrated by none of the members here).

Have a nice day.

Charon

It's better to ask mainly because some holidays are more important than others - for example, many people think that Hanukkah is an important holiday because it's near Christmas, when in reality its a minor holiday in comparison to something like Rosh Hashanah (although I included both). This way, users can tell me which holidays are more important than others. speaking of which i should probably remove bird day lol

I'm also quite busy with life, and I'm ony on for about 45 minutes a day, and the help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Role, if you want to have an clan-related date set up, we can easily add an event instead. We can even link events to threads for a more detailed description.

Salanewt

Well, I can help out just a little bit more then (at least before I get ready for school).

Australia Day - January 26th (you can think of it as another form of Canada Day, but it is in Australia). Unlike so many of the other holidays that I have suggested, this one is on the same day every year.

As for the last holidays, I can try to find the 2010 dates later today.

Have a nice day.

Rolina

I live in Gensokyo - surprise, now you have to celebrate Touhou holidays.  ...Okay, joking aside...

That doesn't help the argument, sala.  My argument is that if you're going to just do IRL holidays, this thread isn't necessary.  Go look them up and apply them all - cover all the major religious holidays, as well as the ones from the more well known nations.  You can't create a thread just because you're lazy and don't want to look it up yourself.

Charon

Role, how is having a life "lazy"? You certainly don't go around calling Atrius lazy. I may be the younger of the two Administrators but I have a demanding school year and only about 45 minutes of computer time for reasearch and other things. I need to use that computer time to do more important things, like apply for colleges, work on assignments, and find a job. I don't have time to look up holidays every minute I geton the internet. I do what I can for GSHC and its usually enough, but sometimes I ask for a group collaberation. I am sorry if that's not good enough for you, but I can't go around and skimp all my time for something that takes Sala three seconds to remember.

If you want to continue this, do it in PM. Watch what you say about me in public though - I'm sick of you calling me lazy and treating me like I'm below you.

Salanewt

Especially considering how many countries we have in the world, it would get tedious to search for them all alone. Also, a new one for Spain.

Asunción - I believe that this falls on August 15th each year in Spain, it is a religious holiday (but also a national holiday).

Have a nice day.