News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Holidays

Started by Charon, 20, September, 2010, 12:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_holidays_by_country

Total searching time:  30 seconds.

Your arguments are invalid.

Salanewt

But putting them all on the calendar... Besides, that is Wikipedia. I once read there that the current queen of England was Princess Peach (and that was two months ago). I also read that Poseidon killed thousands of ReDeads in a lava pit (that was very long ago though, I barely remember what other innacurate information I read on that). As Wikipedia is at most a good starting point for research, Charon would have to find other sources with information.

Have a nice day.

Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

For starters, you can't just write off wikipedia using heresay.  Most of the info is in fact accurate.

Second, what Charon SHOULD have done was ask people about their nationality, then look up the appropriate holidays and put them in.  In fact, it'd be FASTER that way.

Hoopa

Please, this isn't worth arguing Role. You are an adult, are you not? You should act like it and not pick fights over petty issues such as this.
"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

Salanewt

Yeah, whizkid has a point. We should stay on topic, especially since some of these dates are important to people, and the fact that we have been given a chance to help out means that we should use this topic for assistance instead of debating it.

[spoiler=To Role, out of topic]
QuoteAre you freaking kidding me?  Why is it that ANY time a wikipedia is brought up for helpful means, someone has to be a dick.  Mind telling me, Sala?  What is it with you people?  You read that this happened?  You mean, you have no ACTUAL PROOF?

There is no need to bash me, by the way. If you have a hammer to pick with me, I would much rather prefer it in a private message (as I am sure that most people would feel the same way if it is required). I mean, there is no need to start a quarrel with me in public, right? Now, lets end our little debate and make it private if it really has to be before it becomes too troublesome, please?[/spoiler]

Also, I have a new holiday!

January 6th: Epiphany (I think it is the same day every year). If I recall correctly, this national holiday might be celebrated by multiple nations, although I can only guarantee that it is a holiday for Italy.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Charon

For one, Role, shut up.

For two, updating the holidays.

Kain

I'd like to submit one.  White Day, celebrated exactly one month after Valentines day on March 14.  Valentines day is the day where girls give chocolate, either handmade or store boughten, to a male of their choice as an expression of love, courtesy or social obligation.

On White Day, the converse happens: males who received a honmei-choco ("chocolate of love") or giri-choco ("courtesy chocolate") on Valentine's Day are expected to return the favor by giving gifts, usually more expensive. Traditionally, popular White Day gifts are cookies, jewellery, white chocolate, white lingerie and marshmallows.  Sometimes the term sanbai gaeshi (literally, "thrice the return") is used to describe the generally recited rule that the return gift should be two to three times the cost of the Valentine's gift.
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

Salanewt

Ooh, I have never heard of that one before, but it sounds nice! I kind of like how educational this topic is, since it can help inform other users about customs that they are not familiar with.

14th July: Bastille Day (Fête nationale)

And for Asunción, it is also celebrated in France (with the French name Assomption). They are both the same holiday. The English translation is Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Have a nice day.

Salanewt

I have a new one, Rememberance Day. It isn't really new, and has been honoured for decades. Every year, it lands on November 11, and we spend time each Rememberance Day to honour and remember those who died for Canada (or at least Canadian soldiers who have died in war, since some of them did not really die for Canada's survival).

It is different from the American Veteran's Day, where you honour those who are currently serving. That was the source of my confusion before, and also the reason why I never posted this one. Both are military related, and they are on the same day.

Have a nice day.