News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Events

Started by Charon, 22, September, 2010, 09:33:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charon

Events are for specific forum-related events that you can suggest. All are subject to approval by te moderation team.
Some requirements:
-Please limit the number of events posted to one every week. We can't fill our calandar with a ton of events.
-Events must have approval from two other members before being posted. You must have valid proof of such approval, in the form of a link (with public discussions) or quotes (with PMs or other private discussions)
-Please provide both a date and a  summary of the event.

Once approved, events will be posted on the calandar, as well as linked to in a thread in the "Calandar Events" section.

Rolina

A couple questions:

First - what is the point of this thread exactly?
Second - why is there a calendar forum when we already have a function that does that for us at the bottom of the main page?

Kain

I believe the first answer is to list events for each group or for events that will take place on the forum.  Second...well, I haven't seen a calender thread.
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

Rolina

Calendar Events.  It's directly below the Experience Point Shop forum, on the main page.  It doesn't make any sense to be there, since we've already got something to do that at the bottom of the same page.

As for your answer - I don't think that's it.  I've got a feeling about what it is, in which case I need to explain something to Charon that they've CLEARLY misunderstood.  If that's NOT the case, I'd love to hear from the source what the case actually is.

Atrius (He/Him)

Events on the forum's built in calender system can be linked to an actual topic on the forums themselves, I'm fairly certain it has something to do with that.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

What I THINK it is is Charon misunderstanding me trying to make a note for the need to have a calendar reminder about the election day for each clan.  Since a month was too often, and nobody's following it, I suggested having it every year instead, and to give it a clan-specific name.  Basically, just like November 2nd is "Election Day" in the US, we'd have one for each of the clans, based on the day when their first elections were held.

I wanted to give them fancy names, but knowing Charon, they're probably just going to make it generic and boring. 

Of course, it's not like my attitude at the time I made the suggestion helped matters at all... If anything, it made the misunderstanding even worse.  =_=

Atrius (He/Him)

Y'know, you could just make the suggestion instead of insulting her right off the bat.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

Since when is saying "I think she's misunderstanding things" an insult?

Charon

The reason why I created this thread was so that people can post personal events. They're actually a seperate fuction from holidays which is the main reason, but another is so we can link the events to a more descriptive thread on the subject (try clicking on "Golden Sun Dark Dawn Release Date", for exanple). This is especially useful in the case of clan holidays, so that people can learn more about a particular event by clicking the link.

The calandar events section is an area to post these events so they aren't clogging up space in other areas. It's also there so that, for example, if you wanted to post a clan holiday - linking it into the clan section would be impractical because some people cannot access those boards.

Approval from other members is required to prevent "spam" events from popping up.

The summaries are actually going to just be copy-pasted, as well as the names, to prevent them from being boring. They are your events after all o.o

Rolina

Well, to be honest, I really can't see the point.  The only reason the election days were suggested was because, knowing us, we'll totally forget to hold elections.  Remember how it was supposed to be monthly, but is now Yearly?  Yeah, that. 

Charon

Wait, when did it ever become yearly? Most people just haven't been keeping track or forgetting. Venus still holds elections every month consistently though... (honestly I avoid that area for more reasons than one, but you guys should let me know if you all agree on something like that >_>)

Unless that's Jupiter exclusive... >_>

But you say you want clan holidays. Most people probably won't know what's going on with those anyhow, so it makes sense to link to a thread explaining it. You can write an entire summary and I'll copy/paste it (bbc and all) so everyone knows what it's about. Heck, you can even post pictures and extra stuff as celebratory stuff. I think I'll open up the area to posting so that you guys can reply to these topics in public - but the main reason why I started this was because I still felt you guys should be allowed to post your holidays, but as events instead (and would be updated yearly). It also allows for a different yearly theme or something if you want, but if you don't, we can easily link the calandar to the same thread as well.

Rolina

I also said that sleep deprived and in a b****y mood, so there's no way you could have understood what I was trying to say.

Basically these are key dates that we need to have reminders for.  I know that Jupiter's gone to a yearly schedule, and Sala's comment in the other thread made me think that the same is true there.  Dunno if that's true, though, as I'm not a pansy-@#$% Venusian. :P

My idea was similar to Election Day.  It's on the calendar to remind us:  Hey, guess what!  Y'all'd BETTER hold those elections, or Charon's gonna get mad!

Charon

Naw naw, it's okay, this is really something that could have more than just one use anyhow. But if you want to schedule a Jovian election day, just get 2 other people to sign up on it and I'll put it up (might as well write a tiny summary and event name too if you want). They are sorta like seperate nations after all and can decide the frequency of their elections the way they want (I've kinda loosened up on them ._.; )

Rolina

Well, the thing was it wasn't supposed to be a holiday or celebration so much as it was to be a reminder on the calendar, the same way election day is in the US.

Charon

...oh.

>_>

Regardless... that's essentially what an event is. I can write up a quick event if you want - just give me what you want to name it (so it's not boring XD). We don't have to link it to a thread, after all.

Rolina

See?  Told you it was a misunderstanding.

Anywho, it's the same day as what I posed in the holidays thread.  Just a yearly date for our elections with a fancy name.  Why a fancy name?  Because normal names are Boring.

Day of Creation >>>>>>> TLA: Editor anniversary.  Just saying. :P

Charon

If you want, you can always make an event for "Day of Creation". It is clan related after all.

Rolina

No it's not.  It's just a fancy name for the TLA Anniversary date.  The date Atrius created the editor.

The clan event would be held on the day of the creation of this board - as the Lore says, Atrius created the world three times.  The first two times sucked, but the third time was awesome, so it was kept.  THAT day - the day this board was created - would be the clan celebration day, as per lore.