News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Z's Anime reviews (minor spoilers)

Started by zman9000, 21, January, 2012, 02:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zman9000

Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Rolina

Guns were invented in China, weren't they?

Kain

Zman:  I'm not trolling, I'm just telling the truth.  If I were trolling, I'd post the conversation.

Role:  Yes they were.
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

zman9000

For Kain and Role  :fury:
[spoiler]Something that has not been decided can't not make one side right and the other wrong. Anime is anime because its from japan. so that means that if dragon ball aired in the U.S first and then japan, it would be a cartoon right? My point was, it doesn't matter where or who makes it. my explanation on the comment you got role pulled into was guns were made some where else, that doesn't mean they are all Chinese!? your same argument would say they can't be called that because that's not where they were made or come from.

I don't listen to people and what they think, I listen to reason and logical ideas. Give me a good reason why something can't be an anime if its not from japan. sure maybe the examples i gave were bad. All i did was look at what makes anime different from most other cartoons. anime have a story, characters have character development, they portray realistic looking people in unrealistic situation's, and most of the time the main character is kinda dumb but does what needs to be done while keeping that classic main character additude. "Ben-10" does fall under this category. In fact "Danny phantom" would classify as an anime, but its art style and how it is portrayed comes across as a american cartoon. An anime has a certain feel to it when watching. its a feeling that when thinking back I never felt in any 'cartoons'.

I have an open mind, and you have no clue how happy it would make me for you to prove me wrong. I don't need a lame brain answer, or this trolling (you know what i mean kain) because nothing is the way it is just because it is. Not only does it not say anywhere with all my research that anime has to be from japan, or made there. what it says is it started there, is a common Japanese style, and is unlike other cartoons.[/spoiler]

And Finally, my anime list for those who agree with my reviews or like what i like.
If you see anything on there you want reviewed or want to know more about let me know. and i can assure you that everything ranked 9 and 10 on it are worth watching,
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/zman9000
Anything ranked 6/10 is ok.
Anything ranked 7/10 is good.
Anything ranked 8/10 really good.
Anything ranked 9/10 one of my faverates.
Anything ranked 10/10 OMG WTF WHY ARE YOU READING THIS AND NOT WATCHING THIS ANIME ALREADY!.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Frog

I realise I have nothing to do with this argument, but I just feel like contributing anyway...
Whilst I haven't watched enough of the show to truly comment, and you can feel free to disagree with me as a result, Ben 10 is more or less a new adventure every episode with very little lasting character development or story arcs... so i fail to see your argument there entirely.

Also your list seems alright for the most part, but how the hell did madoka get only 4 yet naruto get 7!?  :sad:

Not on too often, but I'm still here!

zman9000

Madoka god 4 instead of 7 because of the ending. (though i fell i should up that a bit...)
Naruto rambling[spoiler]Naruto got 7 instead of 8 or 9 because of the massive filler at the end. (which only succeeded in doubling the length and yet we still have Naruto shippuden.)
And Naruto with the filler is a good anime, really good. to bad more then half is filler. bleach is getting a 9 though. it may have lousy timing for a filler arc, 2 of them right in the middle of another. but even with this it kept me entertained and wanting more. Naruto however my have short filler at the end of each event, but its kinda the same old same old every time. And if you've seen one Naruto filler you've seen them all.[/spoiler]

anime list ramble[spoiler]you also might notice that some of my reviews are a different rating then whats in there. the review rating is a bit more well thought out. while the anime list has my reaction as of just finishing the last episode. Some times I get caught up in the moment and give it a great rating or i dislike the ending and lower it.
[/spoiler]
steins;gate ramble[spoiler]Steins;Gate got depressing in the middle, and i stopped watching it for about 2 months. after i finished it, its now my favorite anime of all time, and that hasn't changed.
when I do a steins;gate review, I want it to be a really good one.[/spoiler]

last anime i watched ramble[spoiler]And the last anime I watched was one of the first that didn't big me at all, no matter what happened in it. and the good ending didn't feel like a cop-out. I gave it a 9, but I don't think a 10 would be much different. only reason its low is something feels off with the plot... I'm not sure what, but it feels like a kid came up with it, and some super smart guy turned it into awesome, yet you can still sense the kids handwriting on it. But I really liked it, so I plan on doing a review.[/spoiler]

wow I think about this stuff to much... Well i guess after 190 anime of about a little over 25 episodes each... I think I understand it a bit.
(yes that's about 3 month straight of watching anime, but this counts for my whole life so far, so yeah. its not that much.) ;)

Misery

Quote from: Frog on 24, March, 2012, 08:28:47 AM
Also your list seems alright for the most part, but how the hell did madoka get only 4 yet naruto get 7!?  :sad:
What, only four? That can't... *checks list*

Z, I'm afraid I just lost all respect for your ratings.
I mean, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but come on, the anime itself is incredible in every sense, and the ending should have upped it! And they're leaving it open for a sequel, how is that a bad thing?

Still, my eternal gratitude for bringing Guilty Crown and Nichijou to my attention...

zman9000

What part of "I didn't like how it ended" don't you get.
QuoteAnd they're leaving it open for a sequel
ended... ... ... I didn't like how it ended...
QuoteAnd they're leaving it open for a sequel
>_>

so things like that can change an opinion. i had no clue they were planning to continue.

Misery

I wouldn't know if they're actually going to continue it, but don't you feel that the end is the beginning of a yet untold story? That's what I mean.

zman9000

Quotedon't you feel that the end is the beginning of a yet untold story?
no, and the reason for that is: [spoiler]A kid is trapped for all eternity in a hippy rainbow zone alone, forever, because some alien race changed human girls into walking universal batteries. she saved the world, BY DESTROYING THE OLD ONE AND RECREATING a new one in which she doesn't exist. yet in a way nothing has changed. some one still has to fight forever to get said energy, and all they ended up with is literally one less person in the world at the end, then when they started.

Basically everything that is different at the end from the start is, Madoka doesn't exist. its not a happy ending, its not a good ending. people saved in the end: net -1[/spoiler]
I'm not against an anime where everyone dies. the main can die, all main characters can die, and as long as its good, i have no problem with said anime. but when the ending is kinda worse then the start... ugg.

Now my question is what makes it so good? I really want to know. I've already said its in no way a bad anime. I just feel the story was bad, and kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. now if there is more after, then I'd gladly keep an open mind and watch the next season.
Also if anyone has noticed. both the ending and opening of almost every anime in the past year of time has major spoilers about the ending. but you don't see the connection until the end. even if they tried to do this or not, just about everything about anime has improved over the past year nothing would surprise me.

Frog

[spoiler]Madoka's wish isn't for a generic happy ending, that'd be too unrealistic.
"I wish to erase every witch before they are born. Every witch from every world, from the past and the future". She frees the girls from the burden of becoming witches when overcrome with grief, instead they simply die, which is a far nicer fate.
Also yeah there's apparently plans for a sequel, though it doesn't neccesarily mean it'll take place after the original as such.[/spoiler]

Anyway this thread isn't about madoka specifically, so it's probably going a bit off topic :p
Not on too often, but I'm still here!

zman9000

@Frog: yeah it got a little off topic, but you can talk about anime here, just don't let it turn into a fight.

update: I finished watching "Ano Natsu De Matteru", and with it now complete I'm upping the rating in my review, and adding a few details.
And next review will be posted some time this week.

Rolina

Quoteso that means that if dragon ball aired in the U.S first and then japan, it would be a cartoon right?
Wrong.  It's not where it aired first, but where it was made.  Ben 10 is easily a cartoon, for example.  Thundercats (the new one) on the other hand, is harder to classify, as it was made in both east and west.  As such, you could argue that Thundercats is both a cartoon and an anime.  However, apart from that, it is country of creation that determines the status of "Anime" or "Cartoon".

zman9000

QuoteIt's not where it aired first, but where it was made.
then that means that Anime is a term to classify a cartoon by location not content. Now if you say its classified by content, your argument doesn't hold up.
I think I got confused when people say something is like anime... its content reminds them of anime. where the content isn't what makes an anime an anime.

eh details... meh

QuoteWhat do you think about Legend of Korra? (The first episode was leaked)

I find it pretty good, and it did a great job of relaxing me after being really stressed out.

On a similar note, what about The Last Airbender?
Finally got around to watching it, the first two leaked episodes that is. some people thought it wasn't as funny as Avatar was. but i can see the humor, its more grown up but its still there. its subtle yet perfect for the feel of the show. Besides, the first 2 episodes of avatar were kinda bland as they were creating the plot for you.

Update: working on "Bleach" review, might be out this week or next. "Steins;Gate" review will be out this week.

zman9000

don't mind the lies in the post above. but today's review is on a not yet finished anime. as some of you know I like to spoil anime and had to redo a few of my reviews because of this. how ever today I'll be reviewing an anime that has impressed me in every category so much that I've been avoiding talking about it because of my tendacy to spoil things. This anime has impressed me so much that It may very well go in as my favorite. but for now I'll just leave you with a review.

Anime: Sword Art Online (English: Sword Art Online) Z's current rating: 10/10 Not ecchi
Graphic's rating: 10/10 Violence level: 1/10
[spoiler]Sword art online or "SAO" is a some what unique anime or would be if not for one anime that came out a month before it called "Accel World" and another of a similar plot which will air in a few weeks. But the plot if you were wondering is going inside video games. Its a cool concept and I'll admit, its about time to get some anime about this subject. However SAO is a little different from both of the other anime. the plot is mostly the same execpt for a few details but i'll get to that in a bit. firstly the setting is, ten thousand people buy and play this game on launch day, they hook up and have their minds dive head first into the first walk in game called Sword art online. how ever there is one detail these players were not made aware of.once in this 'mmorpg' you can't leave until some one beats the game which happens to be 100 floors of monsters. And should you die in the game or are unhooked from the game an electromagnetic pulse will fry your brain due to the helmet made for going in the game. Finally the mad man who made the game reveals the news to the players. some think its a joke or aren't worried, while others flip dafuq out. However our main hero is a little more concerned about what is happening. Kirito happens to be a beta tester, and both knows the madman is telling the truth, and also reveals that during the month long beta test they hardly cleared the 16th floor and everyone had died many times in the process. It is then that it hits you the viewer that not only are people going to die but this is going to be amazing.

The first episode was completely brilliant everything about it was great, even some humor for the viewer relating to online games. the first thing that stands out is the Art for SAO. It is really well done, and is a cut above almost every new anime. the music was a bit average but it doesn't need to stand out as much as other anime. the art and animation, including the battle scenes are thrilling. at some times i forgot i was watching an anime and it felt mire like a movie.

The story is extremely well written. there were points where i was laughing like crazy, then I would be angry right along side the main character. There was even a few episodes early on that made me cry, and even just thinking of that scene while typing this brings tears to my eyes. This anime will pull you in, tie you up, and drag you behind a speeding truck while giving you everything you ever could want. This anime will grab hold of your emotions, its sad tragic yet there could very well be a surprise happy ending. (at least i hope so) I my self have no clue where its going, but for better worse i'm going to be dragged along no matter what.

The character are very well like able, and as the story you start to really understand their personality's. you can watch and see the relationships form. the characters stand out from most anime characters but not as much as Kirito. I don't have words to quite describe his personality, but his character growth in just the first 9 episodes is amazing. he gives the feel of the perfect good guy, even willing to look like the bad guy if it well save lives. he's a lone wolf and is one of the few solo players in SAO. He is also notably one of the strongest players.

People always find something to pick apart even in the greatest of shows. This may sound spoiler-ish but it is something you may want to know before watching. So far there is only one thing people have been able to pick apart in this anime. the last sentence in episode one is quote "it has been 3 months since that day. more then 2000 players have already died, and we have yet to clear floor 1". this anime skips forward every now and then, and in fact the most resent jump forward kinda surprised me but there is a reason why I think its a good thing.

The story at its base focuses on the main character Kirito and follows him when he meets some one new or has a change in personality. the story even though it jumps doesn't make you feel like you missed anything. I know some people would love an anime like this to go for 100 or more episodes, however even considering how far japan has come with its animation, its still not possible to keep up an anime this good for long periods of time. thus the 26 episodes planned however may sound short, is actually a extremely good call by the animators and or creators.

All in all its one of the best so far this year. the Art, animation, voice actors, and the story are all better then any anime i have ever seen. I've never been this excited for the next episode of anything, but i can't wait to see where this goes. Now before I finish off, I do have to say, It might be better to wait until its done airing to watch it, because i can almost guarantee this is one of those "stay up all night and day to finish it" anime. Its addicting and thrilling to the point that I half wonder if you can get high off of anime.

This anime review is based on 9 out of 26 episodes and I give this anime a 10/10
review will be updated if need be when anime finishes.[/spoiler]

RagnarokEmissary

I've seen a few episodes of Sword Art Online, and so far, I like what I see.

Jiten

You should review this three.

Wangan Midnight
initial D
Durarara

Review those when you have the chance.

Atrius (He/Him)

I think .Hack//Sign was probably the first Anime set inside an MMORPG if you're really interested in those.  It's a more like a mystery series than an action/adventure one though.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

zman9000

well I don't know exactly what you would classify SAO as.
its a bit like Mirai Nikki as its some what of a survival game time deal.
but the times when there's action they go all out. And I've been looking through some of the battles, and there's no repeating frames. its got amazing animation, and like i said in my review everything about just screams awesomeness. at least that's the best way to describe it.

Also i looked into the VN of sword art online. turns out there may be another anime after SAO called, "ALfheim Online", followed by "Gun Gale Online" which is all continuation of the story behind sword art online.

from what I've seen, its completely amazing, and i can't wait to see how this all goes.

zman9000

Updated Guilty crown's raiting
Added Sword art online to first post.
Fixed some incorrect statements.

o for my next review I'm going to List a few anime.
these will be ones that have ended last season or are ending this season. Since i know a bunch of you wait until they are done airing, I might as well see which one you want to know about.
The choices are:
#1: Kokoro Connect
#2: Campione!
#3: Binbougami ga!
#4: Oda Nobuna no Yabou
#5: Acchi Kocchi
#6: Medaka Box
#7: Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan
#8: Ben-To
#9: High School DxD

A few of these I plan on doing anyway, a few I don't. so take your pick and I'll do that one next.