News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Forum Games

Started by Atrius, 16, October, 2010, 03:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrius (He/Him)

"Wait, what, why is an admin making a topic in the feedback section shouldn't they be able to just do stuff?"

Why yes, yes I could.  That said I'd rather not just go around doing things without any regard for what the members want, because one person saying "This is a problem, and if you don't take care of it I will" in the Cbox without caring what anyone else thinks about the matter isn't the way to do things.  I'm not all that irritated with whether people disagree with me,  it's the way they go about trying to get things changed that can really get to me.  I mean, your opinion is cool and all, but everyone else has their own too, and not just because you tried to give it to them.  So wouldn't it be awesome if there was a section on the forums where we could post about things we wanted changed, that way we could actually discuss them instead of just ranting about it in the Cbox?  *sigh*  If only...  :sad:

This section is here for a reason, please feel free to use it.  I promise it only bites a little bit, I'd really even describe it as more of a nibble, it kinda tickles.

Anyway, since I was forced to start this topic myself I might as well give my thoughts on the matter.  I'd rather not get rid of the forum games since it gives people a place to socialize even when they have nothing to talk about.  I would not, however, be opposed to the idea if there was a general consensus.   My thoughts are that we should just downplay the section so that it's less in the way of everything else.  What I propose is changing it so that new posts in there don't appear in the "Latest Posts" box, or when you click on "Show unread posts since last visit" / "Show new replies to your posts"  That way people can still mess around there when they want to, but everyone else doesn't have to hear about it, and those that do use it don't constantly see reasons to be pulled back there unless they actually monitor the section.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

leaf

/forgot this section existed

Anyway, my vote wholeheartedly goes to making posts from the forum games section not appear in the latest posts box. I don't really care that the forum games section is there, but I do care about it getting in the way of browsing the rest of the forum. There's no need to eradicate it from existence; just make it less intrusive.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Salanewt

And I agree with both of you. The Forum Games should not appear in those, but the users should have to search for them instead of forcing them into their thoughts when searching for meaningful topics the quick way. However, it would be nice to have the RP section not apply to this, as it can offer some good ideas to people sometimes (not to mention that it can be interesting to read as well, and those who post normally have to put some thought into it).

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Aile~♥

* JamietheFlameUser agrees with Atrius and leaf.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Kain

I like this idea.   :happy:

Didn't know this area existed though...  :Sweat:
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

For now, I shall agree with Atrius, leaf, and Salanewt, afterall, the Forum Games area is just a click away for anyone who is interested in its updates. (and the fact you can still see its latest update by the board on the forum page.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Charon

I feel that the forum games are an important part of what strings our community together, I personally just feel that people should also remember to post in other areas so they don't die off as well. :3

Rolina

Once again, I will say this.  Hiding the problem will do nothing.  Try this instead:

RP Sections, RPG Sections, Clan Area: +0 to postcount per post
Forum Games: -1 to postcount per post; requires a positive postcount to post in
Everything else: +1 to postcount.

If another forum looks like it's turning into the new forum games, add it to the +0.

leaf

The problem is that the forum games section makes it unlikely for people to see new posts in other sections if they aren't explicitly looking for them. This greatly reduces productivity in the forum. Hiding the problem would be to remove the entire "latest posts" box from the forum (which would be anti-productive); excising the problem is removing just the forum games from showing up in that list. It won't matter if people still post in forum games with a high frequency; it's fine for the forum games to thrive as long as it isn't creating a tumor for the rest of the forum. That tumor is the result of crowding out other threads, done by taking up space on the latest posts list, a sort of hub for what's new on the forum.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Aile~♥

@Role: The problem here isn't that the forum games exist, or that people post in them. The problem is that people don't post anywhere else because they don't see the new posts in the "latest posts" box. Discouraging people from posting in the forum games isn't really going to solve anything. Forcing people to post elsewhere just means that people will post elsewhere for the post count, obviously. Posts would stop having meaning, because generally the reason people don't actually post elsewhere is because they don't have an opinion on the matter, or don't have an opinion that hasn't already been stated. Y'see that thing where you can vote on the content of the post? People whose opinions have already been stated use that. If you agree, you vote the post up. Simple

Forcing people to make posts elsewhere so they can post in the forum games would result in rather a lot of posts saying nothing more informative than "^ this".
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Atrius (He/Him)

Part of my theory is that reducing the visibility of the section will also affect how often people post there: less accessible, less usage.

As far as subtracting from post count goes, forum games is supposed to be an area where people can just relax and have fun.  Anything resembling punishing them for using it would be completely against the point of having it at all.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Charon

True. Perhaps moving it under the General Discussion section?

Rolina

Quote from: Atrius on 19, October, 2010, 02:45:31 PM
Part of my theory is that reducing the visibility of the section will also affect how often people post there: less accessible, less usage.

As far as subtracting from post count goes, forum games is supposed to be an area where people can just relax and have fun.  Anything resembling punishing them for using it would be completely against the point of having it at all.
It's supposed to be, yes.  It's being abused, yes.

If your theory doesn't work, just keep in mind what I said.  Try to hide the problem and see if it works.  If it doesn't, though, you may find your hand forced.  I'm not saying to purge the forum alltogether - just to require people to have legitimate contributions.  Of course, anything that says "^I agree" and that's it should be reported.  Not being able to spam in the Games due to a negative post count does NOT excuse you from spamming elsewhere.  It's already against the rules to spam elsewhere, after all.  At least talk about your favorite video game or music something before going back to spamming, you know?

Rolina

Quote from: Atrius on 19, October, 2010, 02:45:31 PM

Yeah, we got a problem.  Visibility is back.  And it's dominating the new posts.  Can we implement my system yet?  The one that forces participation before you can goof off?

Atrius (He/Him)

I never made the modifications to hide it from the new posts in the first place.  It's not very high on my to do list, and it is going to take a fair amount of work.

I've already said no, the answer is still no, and if you continue to suggest that the answer will remain no.