News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Golden Sun TLA MIDI instruments

Started by Ryo912, 17, October, 2010, 08:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryo912

I came across this locked thread. I was wondering if anyone knew how to get the MIDI samples. I've been looking for a long time but no luck. I found this however it said nothing about where to get the instruments.

"List of MIDI instruments used in Golden Sun, with proper tuning so song can be directly imported (update pending):
-Celesta (should be octave lower than original piece)
-Acoustic Guitar (Nylon) (octave lower)
-Electric Bass (finger) (two octaves higher)
-Pizzicato Strings (octave lower)
-Orchestral Strings/Harp (octave lower)
-Timpani (octave lower, I think)
-String Ensamble 1 (octave lower)
-Choir Aahs (octave lower)
-Trumpet (octave lower)
-Brass Section (octave lower)
-Oboe (octave lower)
-Flute (octave lower)
-Pan Flute (octave lower)
-Lead 1 Square (octave lower, sounds like Lead 2 Sawtooth)
-Lead 2 Sawtooth
-Lead 3 Calliope
-Lead 4 Chiff (sounds like Ocarina)
-Pad 2 Warm
-Pad 3 Polysynth

Instrument Synth numbers 106-115 inclusive is the oriental kit - I haven't done much research into this section but the ones I can remember are:
-Banjo (sounds like Music Box)
-Steel Drums (I think octave lower)

Drum kit is midi number 128, Gunshot. The following drum notes are confirmed to work:
Acoustic Bass Drum
All Toms
Open High Hat
Closed High Hat
Ride Cymbal
Bass Drum
Electric Snare

Extra Instruments:
Gasp (used in the Kimombo Statue/Kimombo songs) - Acoustic Piano

NOTE: Since the game's numbering system starts at 0, the actual hex number is the midi number minus 1."

Atrius (He/Him)

GS's audio format isn't the same as MIDI, the samples would need to be converted.  What format do you want them in anyway?
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Charon

You can extract them using certain programs. I don't have one but I know they're around. You could be lazy like me though and just record the samples in-game with a long middle C though ahahaha

But Atrius is right - different format, totally. The game reads wavs and bends their pitch according to the song. So you can't just take them from there.

Atrius (He/Him)

I've had my own script for extracting them as .wav files for a while now, Charon... >_<;   They're not exactly natively wav format either, a small amount of conversion is necessary.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Charon

... I knew that!... Ahahaha, but I don't have it on me (mom did a system restore because she thought Ubi was a virus >_>) for him to download.

Ryo912

Quote from: Atrius on 19, October, 2010, 01:11:38 AM
GS's audio format isn't the same as MIDI, the samples would need to be converted.  What format do you want them in anyway?

I was thinking maybe in wav format if that's possible. I just want to be able to hear the samples without the music playing if possible.

Charon

If you're lazy (like me), I can show you how to play the samples as a long middle C, or you can use Atrius's program to extract them.

Ryo912

Charon

Well, extracting them would be easy as well. Do you want the fully extracted samples or do you want the Middle-C samples? Because the Middle-C samples would probably make it easier if you were trying to compose, say, a new MIDI driver to emulate Golden Sun's music, but if you had the fully extracted samples, you would have more exact sounds (after adding the effects that GS's engine puts in, such as echo)

If you want, I can compose a GSTLA patch that has a particular song Middle-C-afied, so then you only need to do minimal hex editing to get each sample as they sound in-emulator.

Pkmn-Master

I have a soundfont made with most of the instruments. Would that help any?

Charon

D:

Post it. It'd help save me a lot of time :D

Pkmn-Master

Okay, it's not the best. Twas my first time making a soundfont.
If you have a soundfont editor, you can rip the .WAVs out of it.

EDIT: I forgot to let you know that not every instruments is in here.
I just don't have the synths. The ones I do have sound weird.

http://www.mediafire.com/?i8aabi585x7z1ak

Mion Sonozaki

Aw man, I hope you'd continue the soundfont. It's awesome so far.

It would be nice if the drums/percussion was changed to be more convert-friendly without having to re-arrange the notes however.

Charon

The synths (with the exception of Polysynth) are generated by the music engine and thus cannot be extracted at all (unless you replicated the engine outside of the game o.o). You'd need to record them in-game. I don't have access to a MIDI editor, would anyone mind making a middle C sound so I can make the Middle C patch? Just one middle C note, extended as long as you can get it.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Quotewould anyone mind making a middle C sound so I can make the Middle C patch? Just one middle C note, extended as long as you can get it.
Your request has been granted, provided that you wanted the Acoustic Grand instrument used? This is a dotted whole note, enjoy. EDIT: Default Tempo is 80.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Charon

Don't worry about tempo, I can edit that in the patch.

I'll add a patch with instructions soon.

Pkmn-Master

Yeah, all I did was use GBA2AIF to rip the instruments.

I was going to make a Pokemon Emerald soundfont, but I lost interest, and it was taking too much time.
Plus the instruments weren't sounding right. Probably another thing to do with the engine.

Ryo912

WOW all i can say is thanks! this is an awesome soundfont thanks a bunch. It would be awesome if Dark Dawn used some of these instruments. Is there any way to get te ocarina and the synths? If not no big deal.

Pkmn-Master

Quote from: Lishy on 04, November, 2010, 10:56:08 PM
Well I'm excited to hear it'll be released soon (from what I understand?). I'm anxious for the next release  :happy:

Although, this will still be accurate, right?
Yes, it will be released soon.
I will try my hardest to make it as accurate as possible, but it may take a while due to laziness.

Mion Sonozaki

Lunar's "Mysterious Cave" theme, with Golden Sun instruments!
http://www.mediafire.com/?8l8aiva2l97a14l

And as a bonus, here is Isaac edited to look like Alex from Lunar!