News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Separation Patch Guide

Started by Salanewt, 31, October, 2010, 10:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

Okay, this topic is in regards to the new Separation Patch that Atrius was so kind to add for us. It is a bit confusing at first, but gets pretty simple once you know how to use it.

Step 1: Activate the patch. This should cause everyone in Party 2 to become the NPC class, unless you prepared the next steps in advance.

Step 2: Check Element levels of both parties. For now, you should keep them all at their default levels. Changing can be done later or earlier, but it makes things a bit less confusing to revert it back for now.

Step 3: Classes. You need to create more classes for Party 2 (or at least for Felix and Sheba, you can skip this step for Jenna and Piers). There is enough space under Garet's classes to duplicate the Squire set, if that is what you want to do. As a quick note, you have to fill in all of the stat modifiers and psynergy learned yourself.

Step 4: Tick the boxes. You need to tick the Party 2 box in the top right corner so that the members of the second party will be assigned that class, provided they have the element levels. You need Auto checked to be able to change the Party 2 box, as a quick little note.

Now you may observe your work in the game as you play. Another reminder, but you still have to do Step 4 for everyone in Party 2, and you have to reassign all psynergy and stat modifiers to each class.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Thelinil

Griever

Thanks Salanewt for this ... i just enabled the patch and that's it ... which makes sense since i got all NPC class

Salanewt

You are welcome. I might make the post a bit more organized, but I am happy that it has been useful for you both so far.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Griever

*Ivan is out ....... Ivan is out!!!!*

Sorry i hate him ... he was so useless in my party ...
Anyway, it looked pretty organized for me.
The separation patch was really a very good idea.

I also like the fact i can add new classes, psynergies and also edit the ones already in game. By edit i mean name, since i kinda want to have my fav. character as a magic user. I guess you know whom I'm talking about.

Salanewt

It is awesome, isn't it? Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. While you need the Auto box checked to be able to check/uncheck the Party 2 box, you can uncheck it once you have the Party 2 box' settings the way you want. For example, I gave Jenna (now Peach) the Water Seer class, but I had to uncheck the Auto box for it to work properly.

I think I can tell who you are talking about. Good luck with that, by the way!

Have a nice day.

Edit: Or so I thought. I have run into a bug when I give Jenna/Peach a Water level of 5, and then change their class to make them a permanent NPC. In the Class Editor, I can not give the Water Seer class to Jenna anymore, since unchecking the Auto box disables the class for Jenna, who has the normal level requirement.

Atrius (He/Him)

Checking the auto box will set the type value to the left of it automatically as you change the elemental requirements for the class (Hence why it grays out when you do so), checking the party 2 box will change the way it automatically sets that value to apply for characters 4-7.  If you have party 2 checked, but auto unchecked it does absolutely nothing (Hence why party 2 grays out at that point)  So, again, the only purpose of those check boxes is to automatically change the type value as you alter the elemental requirements for the class.

Be aware that mixed classes obtained by setting Djinn to your characters are also separated, by altering your mixing your Djinn set up you will also get the NPC class unless you create new classes to replace the mixed ones.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

Just did some major testing guys.  Bad news:  The patch didn't work.  Felix is still a squire.  I'll play around a bit more, but unless I can get him to be a Conscript class like I want him to be...  Well, we're SoL here until we get a patch.

Atrius (He/Him)

Are you remembering to get his class to reset by setting/unsetting Djinn until it changes?

Edit: Nevermind, confirmed, it works for everyone except Felix.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

I started a new game.  I posted that when I got felix.  But Sheba was affected all fine and dandy!  I can't figure out what's wrong, so I'm gonna take and upload a screenie.

As you can see, Jenna's class works fine (forgive the name, it's just a placeholder).  Felix, though...

Salanewt

It works well for me. You are creating new classes, right?

Have a nice day.

Rolina

It only doesn't work for Felix.  Everyone else is just fine and dandy.  Atrius checked and confirmed it, it'll be an easy fix.

Although, I really, REALLY wanna use Marquis and not Markuis, but apparently the compression hates me.

Atrius (He/Him)

Yeah... The text compression is a pain in the butt, and those compression tables are in the most convoluted format I've seen yet.

Salanewt

Oh right, now it makes sense. It would seem that I forgot to use a different name plus stat modifiers, so I thought that I had a different Felix with appropriate stats. Well, whenever you can fix it, I would be most appreciative.

Luckily for me, the guide will be even more accurate when it is fixed...

Have a nice day.

Edit:

Atrius, wait? So we have to create new classes, right? This will get quite exciting.

VanishMantle

This is amazing! Thank you so much for this topic I will get to work on this immediately!

Salanewt

Aw,thanks!

I forgot to mention it earlier, but I'm pretty sure that item classes are exempt from the +20 rule. As long as a character can equip the item, they can access it's class.

Misery

Alright, sorry for reviving an old thread (not sure if I should be sorry really, this is still pretty relevant).

Would anyone happen to know how the separation patch decides which characters are in party 1 and party 2? More specifically, I'd like to know where the data the patch changes is. The reason I'm asking is shared (symbiotic) classes, such as for example the Brute or White Mage class lines.

As the patch is currently set up, Felix will share symbiotic classes with Jenna (I assume), Ivan with Mia, etc.
I would've preferred if this was switched:
-Isaac and Jenna appear to have more focus on agilty, while Felix and Garet seem more like heavyweights
-Ivan and Piers are warrior/mage hybrids while Sheba and Mia seem more like pure mages

I guess Atrius would be the authority on this, but he's not around much nowadays...
I can look this up in the ROM myself if I have to, just checking if anyone else already knows.

Rolina

So you're looking for not a party separation patch, but a character separation patch?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

QuoteWould anyone happen to know how the separation patch decides which characters are in party 1 and party 2?
Yes, Atrius literally adds 20 to the type value if your character is in party 2.

Maybe you've missed it, but you can look at the image attached to this post: http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=238.msg33657#msg33657 (The image only displays part of the function, but the entire function should be used for finding a class match, I think.)

Edit: The original says if Class type 2 and PC is 5 (Jenna), use class type 7 (Flame User series); and if class type is 6 and character is 7 (Piers), use class type 15, ... When you apply Atrius's patch, all that is replaced.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Misery

Quote from: Teawater on 21, August, 2013, 12:05:56 PM
QuoteWould anyone happen to know how the separation patch decides which characters are in party 1 and party 2?
Yes, Atrius literally adds 20 to the type value if your character is in party 2.
I know this already. It's a hard question to formulate, but what I was asking is basically how the patch decides who gets the class with an added 20 (i.e. why does Felix get it rather than Isaac)

Quote from: Teawater on 21, August, 2013, 12:05:56 PM
Maybe you've missed it, but you can look at the image attached to this post: http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=238.msg33657#msg33657 (The image only displays part of the function, but the entire function should be used for finding a class match, I think.)
Yeah, I don't remember seeing that. Thank you very much for linking, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Quote from: Rolina on 21, August, 2013, 12:01:43 PM
So you're looking for not a party separation patch, but a character separation patch?
No, I just want the ability to decide if any given character belongs to party 1 or party 2.