Golden Sun Hacking Community
December 15, 2017, 09:52:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Post your GBA ASM Questions here.  (Read 27554 times)
Misery
Bad Luck

Great Member

Coins: 2

Clan Position: Mercury Hack Leader

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 10:05:30 PM »

Still can't follow much.  While I can't ask that you guys make tutorials for noobs, I'd say you're not doing yourselves any favors in terms of recruitment.
The point of the GS editor is that people won't have to learn this stuff, but it's still at a stage where it's pretty limited without it. Still, I think this thread is more aimed at people who are already familiar with ASM but trying to learn it.

Side question:  From reading above, it seems that the main changes people are making are with parameters (attack, defense, etc).  Have you been able to add and take away djinn from the game?  Or give enemy attacks to players?  It might even be neat to come across a bunch of enemies who, at the time of battle, have the exact same stats and abilities as the players.  Are these things which are ultimately possible through hacking?
I recommend at least trying out the editor and see what it can do. Even if you're not looking to make your own GS hack, most of these questions would have already been answered if you had tried opening a GS ROM in it.

Some info if you need it...

There is a VBA-SDL-H2 version I found on pokecommunity once, but didn't see a way to do breakpoint read or write.

Anyway, for SDL-H, the main commands you need to know are these:

bpr = Breakpoint Read
bpw = Breakpoint Write
bt = Breakpoint Thumb (I think there is a bug for this one in SDL-H, so I often like to use rtt instead. Which I forget if it too includes the bug or not.)(ba/rta? for Arm)
n = Execute next instruction
c = Continue execution

There are some other useful commands as well, but I wanted to say that the No$gba NDS debugger works a bit different. For one, it's not a command prompt, and you use [address]! for writes (only works when the value is actually changed, I thin, unlike SDL-H), and you use [address]? for reads...

So what are you trying to do in SDL-H anyway?
Hehe, thanks. Well, as for what I'm trying to do... I had taken another look at the exit editing tutorial and decided to see if I could use it to skip the whole intro when starting a new game in TLA, as well as setting the starting location. It seems like the entrance number can be used to initiate events, for example, the summary of the previous game is entrance 8 in room 0 (title), while the opening scene with Jenna, Kraden and Alex is initiated by going into entrance 99 of room... was it 5? It's the interior of Venus Lighthouse...

Anyway, I guess I also need to do the thing where the game changes the party leader to Felix, as playing through the game with Jenna causes some problems (and also is not what I wanted). Do you happen to know when/how this occurs?
View Profile
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 01:34:08 AM »

@Point of GS Editor: In my opinion, even if you do know all the game data, having an editor could still be very useful. (When considering many things, including what Atrius's editor does not have.... Clearly, we all know that uncompressing data, and compressing data is too time consuming to do manually. Other useful concepts could be finding all function calls to a function, being able to reallocate space in the middle of data while keeping everything in order. (May require a scan to all code to update pointers.) And whatever else.

The intro scene in Venus Lighthouse is done in the Initialization section of Map Code, I believe, so you could zero out the entire cutscene if you wanted to. That would also give you plenty of space to turn on the debug mode freely, and call the function that switches your party leadeer to Felix.

From my Hacking Documentation. (The one posted here back in August.)

080ADDF0 = Party initialization?
 080ADEF6 = Adds Felix
 080ADEFC = Adds Jenna
 080ADF02 = Innate Psynergies

080AE0DC = Set leader to Jenna.
 080AE0E4 = This sets Jenna as the leader while in Venus Lighthouse (during title screen, but is reset again shortly after this)

080AE0F0 = Set leader to Felix, add Felix to party, remove Jenna and Sheba.
 080AE0FA = This sets Felix as the leader while on Idejima (during title screen)
 080AE0FE = This adds Felix to your party while on Idejima
 080AE104 = This removes Jenna from your party
 080AE10A = This removes Sheba from your party
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 01:37:57 AM by Teawater » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...
Did you know? In English, you are suppose to capitalize the languages. (e.g. English is a proper noun.) Subjects like math, science, history can be left lower-cased unless they are a title. (Kind of like how you can say either "my mom" or "Mom" in "I went with (X) to the store.", except that I don't think languages are ever lower-cased in English.) In Spanish, both subjects and languages are left lower-cased. (I put this here because I've noticed people make this mistake quite often. And am curious if they know about this, and whether they use their way because they believe this grammar usage should have never been a thing?

Remember kids! In getting a job, it's not about what you know, it's about WHO you know! So start making friends with the people that work where you want to work. :) (Friend of a friend and volunteering count too, so keep that in mind.)[/si
View Profile
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

Coins: 0

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 02:51:35 AM »

yup, cloning's the idea.  Like fighting Dittos (the pokemon).
View Profile
Misery
Bad Luck

Great Member

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 02:23:15 PM »

Damn, why didn't I check the documentation right away? I'll keep that in mind from now on.

So, I found the following:
080D2AC0: Store r0 to 02000420 (room) (r0 = 00 at time of execution)
080D2AC8: Store r1 to 02000422 (entrance) (r1 = 08 at time of execution)

This takes the player to the prologue. But how do I find where these values are set in their respective registers? I can't execute instructions backwards...

Also, looked in r14 for the return address like you suggested earlier.
020086A5.
Looked in the GS map editor.
Instructions end at 020086A4.
Grrr... clearly, I must be missing something.
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 04:15:11 PM »

That's warping to Room 0, Door 8, yes. And the function you are looking at is the Warp To function as listed in the Hacking Documentation. All it does is set three RAM values. (Including those two) There may be other similar functions as well, but anyway.. This function is, ofcourse, called in Map Code, as you have shown. The arguments should be at 0200869C (r0=0) and 0200869E (r1=8) ...

When in the middle of a function, don't always rely on r14 giving you your insisted return address all the time, since when functions call other functions, functions usually push their return address into the stack. (And there are some functions that can use r14 as a normal variable, but it's not very common.)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:36:23 PM by Teawater » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Did you know? In English, you are suppose to capitalize the languages. (e.g. English is a proper noun.) Subjects like math, science, history can be left lower-cased unless they are a title. (Kind of like how you can say either "my mom" or "Mom" in "I went with (X) to the store.", except that I don't think languages are ever lower-cased in English.) In Spanish, both subjects and languages are left lower-cased. (I put this here because I've noticed people make this mistake quite often. And am curious if they know about this, and whether they use their way because they believe this grammar usage should have never been a thing?

Remember kids! In getting a job, it's not about what you know, it's about WHO you know! So start making friends with the people that work where you want to work. :) (Friend of a friend and volunteering count too, so keep that in mind.)[/si
View Profile
Misery
Bad Luck

Great Member

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 05:04:30 PM »

The arguments should be at 0200869C (r0=0) and 0200869E (r1=8) ...
This does not appear to be the case, at least not for map 0. Only zeroes at those addresses.

When in the middle of a function, don't always rely on r14 giving you your insisted return address all the time, since when functions call other functions, functions usually push their return address into the stack. (And there are some functions that can use r14 as a normal variable, but it's not very common.)
Right, you did mention that... so how can I see what's on top of the stack?

Also, big wow to the documentation. I don't think I had realized just how much info there is there. Although finding a specific function can take a while...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:07:42 PM by Misery » Logged
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2014, 11:46:08 PM »

How could I be wrong, when it is all here in the attachment? Hmm?

The stack? I would do mw sp (As long as the stack address wasn't temporarily modified.), but the function return is not always on the very top, so you have to look until you find one that looks like a function return. (It's usually noticeable.) You do not have to worry about that for this particular function, as I don't think the function return was ever pushed. (Sometimes it doesn't get pushed when you don't have calls in the function.)

* mapcodewarpto.png (32.29 KB, 619x706 - viewed 436 times.)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 12:04:16 AM by Teawater » Logged

View Profile
Misery
Bad Luck

Great Member

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 12:20:44 AM »

That's the VBA's memory viewer, right? I guess there's some magic (well, code) going on that puts those arguments into RAM at runtime, as it doesn't seem to be in the decompressed code for that map. Speaking of... it's kind of a pain that you can't access those functions from the SDL-H version (memory viewer, disassembler, a few other things...).

Well, ultimately, what I'm really looking to figure out is how to find out where a function is called from in the map code. It's clearly not as simple as looking for the address of a function getting loaded into memory, except for a select few cases. Even then, there has to be a better way than scrolling through all the code...

View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 12:23:51 AM »

From your breakpoint in SDL-H, You could execute (n) code until you exit the function, and then type in dn. (Sometimes, I might even look for the end of the function in VBA, and go rtt (address of last instruction.), and then hit n to exit, and then dn. However, this function is short enough to not have to worry much about that part.)

Anyway, I think I might check that bit in Atrius's Editor soon, So I can inform you on whatever the problem may be.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 12:28:45 AM by Teawater » Logged

View Profile
Misery
Bad Luck

Great Member

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 12:54:21 AM »

Alright thanks, that seems to get me on the right track. I've been trying to find some other functions so it's not just the "warp to" function I'm looking at... right now, I'm trying to find where the "set party leader to Jenna" is called from. And it looks like I just found it.

So you think it might be an error with the editor? That... might make a bit more sense, admittedly.
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 01:04:19 AM »

I think the problem is that you are looking at the wrong Map Code file.

You are suppose to be looking at Map 1 (UTIL)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:07:38 AM by Teawater » Logged

View Profile
Misery
Bad Luck

Great Member

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 01:09:59 AM »

Oh, right... I didn't realize it switched maps.
Well, I guess that settles that.

Edit: Woohoo, it worked! The game now starts at the point where you get control over Felix. Now I just need to make sure Jenna isn't in the party when the game starts, then I think I'll post a patch for this...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:25:27 AM by Misery » Logged
View Profile

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2015, 04:17:19 AM »

Anyone interested in helping with some ASM stuff for hajimari no ishi? I'm looking for someone that can change the sjis to ascii  ( so that each char occupies 1 byte instead of 2). Also a VWF to help that change.

View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2015, 04:52:19 AM »

Can't say... I'm probably the only one here at GSHC ("here" applies to those that pop in regularly) to consider it...(?)  I remember looking into the code a long time ago... and I believe at some point deciding not to really work on it... for some reason? Could have been due to how time consuming it might have been(?) (Not sure of its difficulty level...)

VWF = ???

I take it that http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=2488.msg44352#msg44352 is still the latest update?

While one method /might/ be to have the 8-bit chars be indexes to a 16-bit char table... (In some way... while noting char pairs...) It's probably better to just go straight to 8-bit chars and update the font..? I um... Not know how difficult that is... sso may need to look it up. What tool was being used to import the text again? https://github.com/wangds/sncsm3 This one? (I think it was obsolete?)

And if I'm lucky... (Assuming I jump back in this? Haven't quite decided.) ...perhaps I will see about putting the GS Text Compression in the game.... But anyway.. It's probably unlikely that I'll do that... especially since compression might not be necessary... But you never know.

Edit again: Either way, I'm in no rush... and will hypothetically-speaking be months until I would show progress if I do.(?) ... so assume I've filled in no positions...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:44:43 AM by Fox » Logged

View Profile

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2015, 10:55:31 PM »

Can't say... I'm probably the only one here at GSHC ("here" applies to those that pop in regularly) to consider it...(?)  I remember looking into the code a long time ago... and I believe at some point deciding not to really work on it... for some reason? Could have been due to how time consuming it might have been(?) (Not sure of its difficulty level...)

VWF = ???

I take it that http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=2488.msg44352#msg44352 is still the latest update?

While one method /might/ be to have the 8-bit chars be indexes to a 16-bit char table... (In some way... while noting char pairs...) It's probably better to just go straight to 8-bit chars and update the font..? I um... Not know how difficult that is... sso may need to look it up. What tool was being used to import the text again? https://github.com/wangds/sncsm3 This one? (I think it was obsolete?)

And if I'm lucky... (Assuming I jump back in this? Haven't quite decided.) ...perhaps I will see about putting the GS Text Compression in the game.... But anyway.. It's probably unlikely that I'll do that... especially since compression might not be necessary... But you never know.

Edit again: Either way, I'm in no rush... and will hypothetically-speaking be months until I would show progress if I do.(?) ... so assume I've filled in no positions...

VWF = Variable Width Font

I use the gbatemp thread, but this one has information from Aent. He made exactly the same attempt, but dissapeared and never reported back (his mail's saviorkross@hotmail.com, but no idea if you will contact him, i couldn't at least) he made a tool to get the script:

as far as things goes i think that aent taking care of the hacking part as he must be decyphering the missing opcodes. that is an useful part. as you say now we need to find a way to make the script fit.

I've been working on it on and off in my spare time, but I am pretty new to all this. That tutorial you posted was quite helpful so my thanks to whomever wrote it and to you for posting it.

Ideally I want to break the limit of the current text blocks(PSI3 segments which is what is shown in my last post) so we can have a fuller translation. As it is now, each text block links to the others either by an index number to an array of pointers or a pointer of it's hex location. Still investigating that. If for instance, you take one segment, say the mine entrance right after the intro, and replace it with another. As soon as you leave after fighting VE it will warp you to the new location instead of the mine. In my case it was from there to the shop in the first town. If I walked out of the shop then, it took me outside into the town as it normally would. This tells me that the locations that they lead to aren't linked to the current text blocks location in the game file. If we were to pull out all the text blocks, put our full translation in and put them back in, they would run out of room. Sort of like putting 4 rectangles where 4 squares are supposed to fit. The way to fix this is put them in as normal and once we run out of room for the next one to fit, move it to free space and adjust the pointers as needed for all the text blocks. With luck it will be some sort of array, but I'm not sure honestly. I have located a value that if changed links to various locations and battles but more investigating is needed. As for the max rom space issue of 32mb, I'm not sure how close we'll come to that. I forget how much free space was said in the other thread. Something like 280kb? I'll have more on that situation soon I hope.

Download here.
I'm gonna include the program I use to dump the text blocks as well as a .bat file to use with DSDecmp. Just unzip to a folder with "sn3.gba" in it.(without the quotes). Doubleclick dumptexts.exe and it will dump the encrypted texts to the folder "output". Their names will be in the form of "decimal_hex". Then, with DSDecmp.exe in the original folder, doubleclick dsdecmp_folder.bat and it should make a folder called output_dec. Those will be the decompressed ones as shown in my last post. They include the original script, events, etc, albeit in a fairly unreadable form except for the actual script. For those of you who wish to see the code of dumptexts.exe, it's in src. You'll need GCC to compile most likely. I plan to include any programs/tools I create and their source as I don't want my progress for better or worse to be lost if something beyond my control should happen, lol. Beware I have some experience with C, but am certainly no expert and use google quite often.

If any questions/comments/tips/criticisms, etc I'll try and be more active here to see them. I can't promise I'm the answer to what you've been looking for, but I'm willing to try and help, lol. My apologies for the late response as well as the text-wall.

p.s. Offsets.txt will be created as well. It's just a list of all the starting locations of the compressed segments in hex. Also, not all the txt files will be story dialogue. Some are just empty rooms or lead to battles and such. Also, some might be two different parts of one location. For instance, in the first game I had one for the intro dialogue and one for map items. ("...may..." cutscene for the dialogue and in a separate text for picking up the entrance ticket as well as the placement and teleport location of the stairs)

Yeah, updating the font will be best too since it's too big.

Thanks for the reply though, hope it's not hard as it seems to be.

Edit: Here's aent latest progress before disappearing:

http://oi58.tinypic.com/jsk5yu.jpg
http://oi61.tinypic.com/28jcdgi.jpg

For example, 0x8260 used to give us the character 'A'. Now, just 0x60 produces the same character so we save a fair amount of space for adding in the translation. Another thing to notice is the gaps between letters. This will have to be repaired with a variable width font when the time comes. That will most likely be one of the last things I do.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:29:34 AM by pablitox » Logged

View Profile
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
December 13, 2017, 09:19:38 PM
Fox: Okay, so that Summon Night games adds the fram number to the seed, before generating another seed via mul/add....  (GS1-GS3 never adds the fram number.) ... So um, that makes sense! ;  Summon Night:  ((seed + frame) * 0x343FD + 0x269E3C) >> 0x10 ; Which is also on the list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_congruential_generator
December 12, 2017, 11:10:45 PM
Fox: Yes, and there could be contests. Maybe ones where 1st/2nd/3rd place get a cash reward, but eh. Dunno.... Kind of thinking about making a topic about how people got their job, and what was their experience. (e.g. Did they use references of people already working in the job, and various other things.)
December 09, 2017, 04:24:14 AM
Majora: Import old forum posts for reference, perhaps take posts containing important info like documentation away from the old stickied forum post model and make them into their own pages on a site with an in-built search bar. Might help with SEO, too. If nothing else, perhaps whipping them into PDFs and hosting them via Scribd? The possibilities are boundless when it comes to restructuring a site
December 09, 2017, 04:20:02 AM
Majora: Just a nice idea to have even if it doesn't come to fruition. Updating, modernizing, always a good idea. Could probably do something pretty nifty using a good Wordpress theme
December 09, 2017, 04:15:45 AM
Majora: Would be kind of neat to do something like that for GSHC. Could change it up a bit to show all tweets/instagram posts/facebook posts/golden sun subreddit posts all in one sidebar. It would be cool in that it gives the site it's on (and the topic in general) appear more lively and active, which is a plus
December 09, 2017, 04:14:19 AM
Majora: That does sound interesting. One cool thing I've seen some sites use is a sort of unique take on a sidebar option that acts like a social media integration (like, "See GSHC's latest Tweets"). It displays activity from a variety of related sites, such as Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
December 09, 2017, 12:58:53 AM
Fox: And the way it'd work via code is not that all users would instantly get nicknames the minute you register... but rather, the moment you view a name if it doesn't have a nickname, it gets one. (My Thoughts.)
December 09, 2017, 12:53:55 AM
Fox: (I was thinking that it would be "Name (Nickname)" ... The nickname is what you first known the user as, and you can change that yourself... and the Name is what the user wants to be called... Something like that.
December 09, 2017, 12:47:56 AM
Fox: So like... for starters, one idea I had was to make it so anyone can name anyone... much like how it works on Skype, and you (the namer) would be the only one to see it, and such...
December 09, 2017, 12:45:02 AM
Fox: Would need to be carefully thought out and tested, though.
December 09, 2017, 12:43:02 AM
Fox: I'm thinking I could make it so that name changes can happen whenever... (Without any limit)... Since I believe there's a way to do it with minimum confusion. (I think.) Hmm....
December 09, 2017, 12:31:36 AM
Fox: (I mean an offline version... at least initially.)
December 09, 2017, 12:25:01 AM
Fox: Now that I have thought about it a bit more, would I be right to assume that GSHC would be one of the most interesting websites to administrate, or no? It's sad to see not much going on with it. == I almost want to make a concept website at some point. :D Anyway, how is everyone doing today?
December 06, 2017, 12:12:59 AM
Fox: Like... Start using Github or something... Do like how many of those other projects such as Citra (WIP 3DS Emulator) does. Etc.
December 06, 2017, 12:08:12 AM
Fox: No idea. I just wish OpenGoldenSun would release it as unfinished, but oh well.
December 05, 2017, 06:52:09 AM
MaxiPower: Bummed out that the open golden sun project is dead it seems with no actitivy in close to a year at this point. Is there any hope left in any other projects?
November 27, 2017, 10:25:28 AM
Fox: (When I say research, mainly refering to the data in the game, though checking websites can count to a degree.)
November 27, 2017, 09:52:27 AM
Fox: Maybe. But Dark Dawn is meh, hahah... I still research it, though, because data can be interesting.
November 27, 2017, 05:28:36 AM
Portakin: I'm here! This game is underrated!
November 25, 2017, 08:03:23 PM
Fox: .... and the email listed in that post makes me think we should just make a new rules topic with most of the same information. (So the old ones can be sort o archived.)

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise