News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Finding dummied out dialogue?

Started by Kyarorain, 31, October, 2015, 07:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyarorain

So, a while back, I was looking at the script in the TLA editor and discovered some dialogue in the prologue of Golden Sun that isn't used, as far as I can tell. I did a lot of testing, using walk through walls to skip cutscenes and such, to try and find these dialogues but they never did come up. Here are the dialogue lines:

I believe the first three are a yes/no question and responses depending on which one you pick.

I had this theory that the dialogue belonged to the old man and woman in the plaza. They both react as if you're asking them to help Felix normally and don't say those unused lines. Earlier on, when you see Felix in the river, Dora asks you if you'll help. I believe that this was meant to set a flag - 0 = not helping, 1 = helping. If 0, you get the above lines, if 1, you get the lines that are used. However, saying yes or no to Dora makes no difference, so they might have messed something up and thus the above lines go unused. But that's just a theory. Maybe they were meant to go to other NPCs who weren't there in the end.

I know you can use the map editor and see the lines assigned to the sprites. Though it's not perfect... when I load the correct event and NPC setting for the plaza, I get the woman's line about being unable to use Psynergy, but there doesn't seem to be any dialogue for the old man which is odd because he's definitely there in the prologue. It's the same with some of the other sprites there too.

I'd like to solve this mystery but the TLA editor is a puzzle in of itself. Anybody experienced with the map editor want to offer some tips or help shed some light on this puzzle?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

I think you messed up your post?

In the editor, these can be copied/pasted... so....
3762:  Do you know what became[3]of the boulder that fell[3]from Mt. Aleph?[30]
3763:  What?[5] It's falling toward[3]the village? The elders[3]are holding it back?!?[1]They are the most[3]powerful Psynergy Adepts[3]in Vale.[2]
3764:  They said the Boulder[3]would have to fall[3]sometime...[1]I just knew a storm like[3]this would knock it loose![2]

QuoteI know you can use the map editor and see the lines assigned to the sprites. Though it's not perfect... when I load the correct event and NPC setting for the plaza, I get the woman's line about being unable to use Psynergy, but there doesn't seem to be any dialogue for the old man which is odd because he's definitely there in the prologue. It's the same with some of the other sprites there too.

I'd like to solve this mystery but the TLA editor is a puzzle in of itself. Anybody experienced with the map editor want to offer some tips or help shed some light on this puzzle?
Maybe I'll take a closer look in a moment(?) But I know that there are several ways text lines can be indexed in an event.

-If it is a cutscene upon entering the room, you won't see those events on any of the NPCs you click. You will need to see the disassembler. (Basically the first public function at 02008000... should point to the intro cutscene function... )
-Any event on an NPC is based when you interact with it... Either via talking to it, using Mind Read, or anything of the like.
-I think Atrius's editor doesn't show the events that are based on tile collision. (So view the disassembler for this as well.)
-Events that only have a dialogue... link to them directly, so that is why you can see text instead of code... in other cases where more things happen, you will see code with text indexes inside... Sometimes multiple text lines can be retrieved by adding a number to the same text index....

--
The recommended approach I have on looking for the text indexes is by dumping 02008000-0200FFFF from VBA memory viewer (Note that it's possible residue from a previously accessed room's map code file could appear at the end if the current room you are in has a smaller map code file.), opening in hex editor, and searching for the first text index. possibly do this for each Vale map. (If there are multiple Map Code files... do note some can be shared across maps.- This is quite common...) (But that's just assuming that the first text index is the first in a set that would be referenced.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)