News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Obama

Started by Toasty, 17, March, 2009, 03:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

QuoteI've never been a fan of party politics. I think the Greeks had a good system, where everyone would get together and discuss the issues. I think that was the Greeks, at least. It's a shame we can't do that with 300 million people, but perhaps our elected representatives could be made to have regular public discussions with their electorate and agree to vote based on the results of those discussions. Just an idea. The whole point of democracy is that everyone deserves to have their say, and I don't think our system reflects that right now.

As for "World War 3," I hope Obama would take the same position as first term Wilson. Isolationism isn't always the best policy, but when everyone's pointing nukes at each other, it is.

I agree, I would rather not be the target of a nuclear war. As long as there is not another Cold War, then we should be okay (since the Cold War was threatening to become another World War).

Have a nice day.
:MercurySet:  
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Aile~♥

I think I'll just drop out of this discussion, since whenever I say something Role seems to get angry at me.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

QuoteI think I'll just drop out of this discussion, since whenever I say something Role seems to get angry at me.

I might drop out of this topic too. In fact, I think I should, since I do not want to make any mistakes when typing again.

Although ths will lower my post count increase...

Have a nice day.

This post has been edited by Salanewt on Jun 18 2009, 07:34 AM

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Quote from: twocows on 17, June, 2009, 07:52:00 PMI've never been a fan of party politics. I think the Greeks had a good system, where everyone would get together and discuss the issues. I think that was the Greeks, at least. It's a shame we can't do that with 300 million people, but perhaps our elected representatives could be made to have regular public discussions with their electorate and agree to vote based on the results of those discussions. Just an idea. The whole point of democracy is that everyone deserves to have their say, and I don't think our system reflects that right now.

As for "World War 3," I hope Obama would take the same position as first term Wilson. Isolationism isn't always the best policy, but when everyone's pointing nukes at each other, it is.
Don't forget though, that the Greek/Roman democracy fell apart when the office holders focused more on holding on to their power than doing the right thing.  Sound familiar?

I don't care if they're a republican or a democrat.  Right now, the vast majority of the people in office here in the US... nay, I'd say the WORLD actually, are corrupt.  Meaning... the whole of the world appears corrupt right now.  We're all going down a very dangerous path...

And soon... it's gonna cause all hell to break loose.  Notice how close it is to doomsday?  Coincidence?

Aile~♥

I know I said I was going to leave this discussion, but yes, it does sound familiar. The entire world (or at least most of it) is going in a large doomsday spiral. That's if global warming doesn't get us (not that I entirely believe in global warming, mind you). And even if we do somehow survive for another couple million years, the sun will explode and kill all of us.

Rolina

Global warming is a sham.  We need to stop fighting it and start adapting to it... That's how nature works.  Natural Selection.  Adapt or Die.  Five bucks says we die because we refuse to do the right thing and ADAPT.

Aile~♥

As far as I can tell, "global warming" is part of a natural cycle. Some scientists say that the "global warming" will eventually cause another ice age, and then everything will start warming up again. And so the cycle continues, for ever and ever until either: A) we pollute the Earth SO BADLY that we kill the cycle or B) the sun explodes and destroys the entire solar system, or at least any and all life forms in the solar system.

Salanewt

QuoteAs far as I can tell, "global warming" is part of a natural cycle. Some scientists say that the "global warming" will eventually cause another ice age, and then everything will start warming up again. And so the cycle continues, for ever and ever until either: A) we pollute the Earth SO BADLY that we kill the cycle or B) the sun explodes and destroys the entire solar system, or at least any and all life forms in the solar system.

I just hope that they are right, and that it does cause another period of cooling. Although, I must say that yesterday was really our first really warm day.

I know that I said that I might leave this thread, but it is now about nature, not politics... Anyway, I have a feeling that in a few hundred more years, if the world does not start cooling, then the equator might just become the 'Charred Belt of Firey Death'. This is just my theory, and I have little evidence to support this...

Have a nice day.

Zach

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 22, June, 2009, 04:12:00 PMAs far as I can tell, "global warming" is part of a natural cycle. Some scientists say that the "global warming" will eventually cause another ice age, and then everything will start warming up again. And so the cycle continues, for ever and ever until either: A) we pollute the Earth SO BADLY that we kill the cycle or B) the sun explodes and destroys the entire solar system, or at least any and all life forms in the solar system.
When the sun explodes, it will only destroy the inner planets not the entire solar

Salanewt

Well, possibly. However, if the sun keeps expanding (as it does after every few million/billion years (forget which one)), then Earth will be gone long before the Sun explodes. When this happens, then it might reach and destroy every planet.\

Anyway, that is far into the future, so that is nothing that we have to worry about.

Maybe after MANY generations, then people should start to worry (unless there is a Nuclear War, after which many people will probably die of radiation and/or mutate).

Have a nice day.

Rolina

Humanity will be extinct before Sol goes Red Giant on us.  No species has lived for billions of years, after all.

Anywho, leave it to Obama to not really contest the Iran results (Hillary had to ride his a** to get him to say anything), and to actually CONDEMN the ousting of a power-hungry president of another country by the people - showing the exact opposite view of the rest of America.  Seriously, when our president agrees with Castro and other Dictators, instead of the heads of other democratic nations (and the people of the US, for that matter), something is SERIOUSLY wrong here.

This post has been edited by Role on Jul 11 2009, 06:53 AM

Charon

...the people picked the wrong president? XP

From the looks of it, he's a complete waffler, who doesn't really have an opinion on anything, but just tries to appeal to everyone. Bad. Idea.

In other news, he's finally going to Michigan to discuss the auto industry crisis. About bloody time.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

This is why I'm moving to Japan in a few weeks, the UK AND the US are completely SCREWED. That and to get Golden Sun 3 before you guys *laughs* ^-^

EDIT: Oh wait a minute, THE WHOLE FREAKING WORLD IS SCREWED!

Rolina

Obama in a nutshell:  Say one thing, do the other!
Obama as far as I'm concerned:  Senator/Emperor Palpatine.  Bush was Count Duku!

Oh, and Nero?  Japan's not any better off.  In fact, they've been in a recession for nearly a decade.  Trust me, it's not gonna be any easier over there.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Well all the countries of the world are screwed because the governments are all a load of dumbasses. And atleast I'll get GS3 before you, all I need now is a DS to play it on (and for it to come out and some money to buy it) ^-^

Rolina

QuoteWell all the countries of the world are screwed because the governments are all a load of dumbasses.
Quoted for Truth.  We're a world run by idiots.

Charon

Certainly we are in a world run by those incapable to do so, but is it their selfishness that makes them "idiotic" or rather the fact that you don't agree with their policies? I honestly feel that nationalized healthcare is the way to go, but I still feel we need to boot out all those illegal immigrants XD

Everyone has their own idea on how to make the world a better place - it's just how they implement such ideas and the end results that determine whether or not that person was worthy of the "good politician" stamp.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Quote from: Role on 22, December, 2009, 12:49:55 AM
QuoteWell all the countries of the world are screwed because the governments are all a load of dumbasses.
Quoted for Truth.  We're a world run by idiots.
Big governments, small brains. the world in a nutshell.

Rolina

Quote from: Corvidae on 23, December, 2009, 01:29:41 PM
Certainly we are in a world run by those incapable to do so, but is it their selfishness that makes them "idiotic" or rather the fact that you don't agree with their policies? I honestly feel that nationalized healthcare is the way to go, but I still feel we need to boot out all those illegal immigrants XD

Everyone has their own idea on how to make the world a better place - it's just how they implement such ideas and the end results that determine whether or not that person was worthy of the "good politician" stamp.
"Let's run the world by pushing policies with no monetary backing!  What do you mean, we've forgotten to make it realistic?  You're just a hater!  RACIST!  RACIST!  FILTHY TEABAGGING RACIST!"

You mean, how can I disagree with that?  You're joking, right?

I could care less about policy, I'm pissed that they've forgotten what's realistically possible.  If a nation is too conservative, it becomes stagnant.  We DO need a bit of liberal force in the world, so that it can continue to grow and evolve.  However, too much is a bad thing - it leads to you overstepping your means, and in the end, collapsing because you bit off more than you could chew.

A good politician is one that is seeded in realism, but isn't afraid to risk a few small things at a time.  The keyword here is SMALL.  Slow and steady wins the race.  Sure, you can't get hurt if you don't move, but you'll just sit there and rot.  And if you go to fast, you'll trip, fall, crash and burn.  We're going to fast.

Furthermore, the guys are totally breaking the law... The tenth amendment of the constitution specifically states - If the constitution does not say you can do it, then YOU CANNOT DO IT.  That right belongs not to the federal government, but to the state and local governments.  So while other countries are doing it left and right, ours has actually been blatantly breaking the law when they do things like that...  Healthcare is not up to the Federal Government, the Constitution prohibits it simply because it's not mentioned.  This is something they're infringing upon the state's rights on.

If the government will go so far liberal that they won't even follow the laws, then what does that mean for the rest of us?  I can't say this is going to be good...

Charon

Yay, it's the "THE GOVERNMENT IS THE SOURCE OF ALL PROBLEMS" argument -/-

You're missing the point - you can have whoever you want in that position, somebody's gonna hate them. Everyone has different ideas on how the world should work, how they're gonna save the world, what they would do if they were in this or that person's shoes. Truly, everything that you believe in you THINK will work, but of course, nothing in the political world goes as planned. Of course, the same goes with my political ideologies as well.

Furthermore, the guys are totally breaking the law... The tenth amendment of the constitution specifically states - If the constitution does not say you can do it, then YOU CANNOT DO IT.  That right belongs not to the federal government, but to the state and local governments.  So while other countries are doing it left and right, ours has actually been blatantly breaking the law when they do things like that...  Healthcare is not up to the Federal Government, the Constitution prohibits it simply because it's not mentioned.  This is something they're infringing upon the state's rights on.
This is where you are factually incorrect - the Tenth Amendment states:
QuoteThe powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
Which gives power to the States and Local governments, HOWEVER, does not say they are "prohibited by the federal government". If this were the case, we would not have federal laws states would have more power than they currently do - in addition, the US supreme court, as well as the US Houses of Congress and President would have little power in comparison to the truth. This is, of course, an interpretation of the constitution that dates back to the early days of the country, involving the strict interpretation of the text in which anything not mentioned is wrong, or a loose interpretation in which anything not mentioned is in the air. I personally feel that for consistency's sake that two things not mentioned in the constitution that should be governed by the federal rather than the states are multi-state felony charges and public welfare services such as welfare, unemployment benefits, and health care.

Dividing power is not always the best route - Wayne County of Michigan, where Detroit is located, is in far worse condition than Oakland County, which is just north of it - oddly enough, however, many of the people who live in Oakland go to Wayne for work. Narrowing our perspective, Detroit has one of the worst city governments in pretty much every respect - the mayor is dishonest, the schooling system is a complete joke, the city counsel members fall into bribes - and with a less broad base of people, they can get away with a lot more because the people in Detroit don't have the money (power) to stop it. Detroit is falling apart on itself. Of course, for every failure there's a more successful counterpart, such as Boston, but this roller coaster of consistency is truly unacceptable - should people in Detroit be suffering simply because they live there, and don't have the ability to get out?