News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

A brand new hack

Started by Feroz, 28, June, 2012, 06:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feroz

Hello everyone,sorry I have been busy but can I ask of someone a favour to clear out classes,psynergy,items. And if you want to know what game,is gs2.

Thanks
I should try to help out.

Misery

So you're asking someone else to do the dirty work? Not a great idea.
It doesn't even need to be done, since you replace the old items, psynergy, etc. with your own as you come up with it.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

If you edit the data in a hex editor, it only takes a few minutes. Just put in a bunch of zeros. There are ways to select the entire section, and fill with a certain byte...

Atrius posted information on where some data is here: http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=1424.msg28463#msg28463

What you'll probably be looking at is this, though:
Quote0x080B2364 - Item data table  (44 bytes per entry, # & 1FF * 2C)
0x080B7C14 - Attack/Unleash/Item effect table???  (12 bytes per entry)
0x080C15F4 - Classes (84 bytes per entry)
0x08128C50 - Ability Visual Effect reference table

The second one should be the ability list. The fourth one is for the Animation number and argument in the ability editor. Not sure if I missed anthing.

In a hex editor, you should ignore the prefix 08.

These are addresses for the North American english rom, I think. Which reminds me, I should look for the European version.

Anyway, I'll likely try to make a patch with each of those four sections emptied sometime soon. (Unless someone else does it.) Edit again: I did this in Visual Basic:
Quote from: You would need FileOpen/FileClose as well, but I have not included that text below.
        For a = 0 To (461 * 44) - 1
            FilePut(1, 0, &HB2364 + a + 1)
        Next
        For a = 0 To (734 * 12) - 1
            FilePut(1, 0, &HB7C14 + a + 1)
        Next
        For a = 0 To (244 * 84) - 1
            FilePut(1, 0, &HC15F4 + a + 1)
        Next
        For a = 0 To (734 * 4) - 1
            FilePut(1, 0, &H128C50 + a + 1)
        Next
IO operations might could do the job slightly faster, but this works fine too. ; Hmm. It doesn't clear out names and descriptions.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Rolina

There's already a template for classes, am I've not yet started the one for abilities or items yet.  Also note that the abilities template is going to be leaving in any and every summon-style ability, since that's hard coded to that ability value at the moment.  Until there's a way to edit HP percentile damage, you HAVE to place those abilities there.

Don't expect this for at least a month, though.  It's very tedious work, and it's hard to keep focus on it.   I'm currently working on putting all the original classes in the next template, so it'll be nearly identical to the current class template, but for people who only want to add classes for Felix, Sheba, and their team.

If you're expecting me to put these out one after another, though, think again.  Again, this is a long and tedious process, and I've got an order I'm doing these in.  You'll have to wait on MY time if you're gonna wait, and that's gonna be a long while before you see any results.  I'm one person, have a job, and will be starting school soon as well, so my time isn't infinite.

Feroz

Meanwhile I will Give an Idea.

[spoiler] May be a Mercury Adept and May be a Mars Adept.[/spoiler]

Sorry, I am fresh out of ideas and sorry for the grammer.

Kain

I may not have tinkered with the editor myself but, isn't making something like that....easy?  Just change the elemental levels to match with the ones you want to change them to and psynergy available to the base class.  No I won't do it for you.
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

Kioll

To change the character from being one type of adept to another, all you have to do is modify the elemental levels of each character.  The classes are decided based on the character's elemental levels.  In other words, by changing the elemental levels, you change the character's base class.  So if you set Isaac to be a Mercury Adept, his base class will automatically be Water Seer.  The only base classes that are specific to specific characters without implementing the class separation patch are Jenna's and Piers's.  Flame User is specific to Jenna (or whoever is in Jenna's spot) while they are a Mars Adept.  Change Jenna to anything else, and she reverts to a class from the first team.  Piers's slot also has a unique class specific to Mercury Adepts.  So if you change Piers to a Mars adept, he becomes a Guard, for base class.

So in other words...  If you even bother to open the editor, the kind of hack you seem to want to do is about as easy as first grade math.  If you can't understand the editor...  Well, you're going to have some difficulty with pretty much anything and everything that this site can provide you.
I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

zman9000

QuoteSo in other words...  If you even bother to open the editor, the kind of hack you seem to want to do is about as easy as first grade math.  If you can't understand the editor...  Well, you're going to have some difficulty with pretty much anything and everything that this site can provide you.

well hold on now. sure it looks like he is having more trouble then he should, but i had some of the same misunderstandings when i first used it.
he just needs to float around in some of the older topics related to the editor for a bit.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Feroz

I did just ask for opinions,not for help.I know how to work it.

Rolina

Well don't look at me.  You've not said a think about what you want your hack to be like.  Without context, I can't possibly have an opinion on this matter.

Feroz

Okay, I will classify it for you I want to be a different hack A different classes e.g Shaman of Darkness (Jupiter),and no,I am not all asking you all to do it for me and sorry for not quoting,my computer is not proper but I am just asking for assistance

RagnarokEmissary

Quote from: Feroz on 03, July, 2012, 09:15:23 AM
I want to be a different hack
What the duck? You want to be a different hack? I didn't know you were a hack. I thought you were a person.

Aile~♥

Feroz, it sounded like you were asking for assistance. Even now, it sounds like you have NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE DOING, though that isn't helped by your very poor grasp of the English language. If I didn't know any better, I'd assume you were just using Google Translate for all of your posts.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Misery

Okay, I will classify it for you I want to be a different hack A different classes e.g Shaman of Darkness (Jupiter),and no,I am not all asking you all to do it for me and sorry for not quoting,my computer is not proper but I am just asking for assistance
Ok then, Kioll already explained how to change a character's element. Just post if you want to know anything else, but look through the old topics first, as many questions have already been answered. So this is going to be a class hack? Changing all the classes is a lot of work...

Also, quoting doesn't seem to work from where you type in replies, but you can still hit the quote button instead of the reply button, or type the quote tags like this:
[quote] before the start of the text, and
[/quote] at the end.

Quote from: RagnarokEmissary on 03, July, 2012, 11:11:02 AM
I want to be a different hack
What the duck? You want to be a different hack? I didn't know you were a hack. I thought you were a person.
Ragna, please...

Kain

What Misery said, please don't antagonize anyone.
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

Kioll

Quote from: Feroz on 03, July, 2012, 04:16:44 AM

I refer you now to Exhibit A:

Quote from: Feroz
Hello everyone,sorry I have been busy but can I ask of someone a favour  to clear out classes,psynergy,items. And if you want to know what game,is gs2.

Now, I don't know what anyone else read out of that, but grammatically, this sounds as though you are asking someone to blank out the game for you so you can start fresh.  I refer you now to Exhibit B:

Meanwhile I will Give an Idea.

Spoiler for Hiden:
May be a Mercury Adept and May be a Mars Adept.

Sorry, I am fresh out of ideas and sorry for the grammer.

This just makes no sense at all.  To make sense of it, it comes off as "I don't know what the heck I want, what I'm doing, or who you people are.  I want to make something that appeals to me, but I don't have a clue what it is, how to do it, or anything like that.  So...  Help."  And this, in and of itself would be fine, except for one thing.  When you have those kinds of questions, seeking help is a wonderful thing, but you have to be specific about what you want, or else the whole point is moot.  I refer you now to Exhibit C:

Wonderful.  This is the first time we've heard any of this.  If you had said this or something to that effect from the start, it would have saved a lot of time, effort, and might have gotten you the help you desired.  Here's the thing, though.  This place is full of people who want to do their own thing.  If you ask them for advice on what to do for your thing, their replies will probably be slightly biased.  For you to do something for yourself to enjoy, it is best that you develop the majority of it on your own, and ask opinions for the smaller things in your project, like names, or whether or not a certain character should be left-handed.  Whatever the hack is majoratively about should be 98% or more of YOUR ideas.  Not other peoples' opinions.  And if you're not doing this for yourself, it would be much simpler for you to find something else that's already in the works/done and just see if you can contribute to/play that.

In other words, from what I understand of what you're doing, you're trying to find your way down a dark tunnel of game hacking, and you forgot to bring your flashlight, and by asking for other peoples' opinions, you're essentially exiting the tunnel, grabbing their ideas, and using them as a flashlight.  And while it may be fine for a simple class hack or whatever it is you're doing, it is a bit like asking for someone else to do the first few steps for you.  Which is what we thought you were asking us to do to begin with.  My suggestion is to stop, back up, decide what you want to change in the game, and what you want to change it to.  Once you have your ideas defined, post them, and THEN ask for opinions.

I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

Feroz

Heres the thing,ok sometimes the laptop doesn't work much and my computer needs a graphics card so I have to wait;( and I dont like being insulted. I'm sometimes dizzy and I am typing on my social phone,so as soon as my internet is able to be on the computer i will give the ideas. I am sorry for the grammer and before I did it on the computer and laptop.

Rolina

Still doesn't change the fact that you haven't told us what you're trying to do with this.  Is this a Difficulty Hack?  A Remix Hack?  Or is it an Original Hack?  What are your goals?  What's your intent?  What are you trying to do exactly?

Feroz

Ok i will explain its basically a difficulty hack and the intent is to change the characters and ima bit of a fanatic of putting myself in the game... There ive said it so ill have 8 spots in a form like this:      name:
class:
items:
element:
ive done mine

name:Feroz
class:lord mage(can make custom classes)
items: Hestia Blade
Herb
Knghts armor
wooden glove
wooden sheild
(can make custom items)
element:venus (place of Felix)

Salanewt

Hm... Is this a hack that you are coding yourself, or is the purpose of this topic to find people to help you with coding it?
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?