News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Greetings, y'all

Started by lordnitemare, 25, November, 2012, 05:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordnitemare

First thing I should confess, I am not a hacker...hacking and scripting and anything above intermediate eventing just goes right over my head, but I do love designing games...maps, sprites, character designs (probably should mention I am a graphic design major currently on sabbatical). That said, I do have two original games (neither for Golden Sun), in the works.

I got the first Golden Sun all the way back when it was first introduced, and spent the first day playing it pretty much nonstop. I basically got a 57% completion rate (since I did it with no guide), then spent the next 4 weeks on my second playthorugh, going as far as DP-ing the Fenrirs (or if it wasn't them, then the monster with them) for three Feather Robes that I needed for the Clear Data...and don't get me started on the trek ALL the way BACK to Imil to get another bottle of Hermes Water just so I could have bragging rights about finishing TLA with it.

And now I am on my 5th playthorugh of Golden Sun: DD, and am in the process of creating my own complete (fan) guide (as in writing the guide as I go along, then designing the actual book and cover).

Still, I decided to DO something during my sabbatical this year and since I love spriting and character designs, and I love Golden Sun (was the second game I ever played, first being Pokemon), I thought I might offer my talents (few though they may be)...

Oh, and technically I would be in the Jupiter clan, from the simple fact I am an Aquarius, and thus an air sign, so I lay myself upon the mercies of my great leader, Role (who's own spriting talents I pretty much worship).
If Knowledge is Power and Power Corrupts, Study Hard and be Evil!

If Twilight said breathing was uncool, 98% of teenagers would be dead. Post this if you are one of the 2% Laughing...

Rolina

Wow, kudos on having the patience to get through DD for a fifth time.  And hun, I'm really not that great of a spriter.  I could definitely use some work on some of the higher res stuff.

Still, welcome to the forums.  We look forward to your continued activity here.

Knight of Purgatory

Role - well actually I think your gs icon stuff is pretty nice. It actually gave me some inspiration for some of my icon work. Anyway a new member? Yes!
MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES

Aile~♥

The introduction topic has only TWO replies? Is this forum dead or something?

Anyway, welcome to the forums! New members are (almost) always helpful, since everyone else keeps running away. So have fun, post lots, eat cookies, etc. Oh, and play with the editor! It's fun!
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Griever

Welcome to the forum. Hope you have fun here.

QuoteAnd now I am on my 5th playthorugh of Golden Sun: DD, and am in the process of creating my own complete (fan) guide (as in writing the guide as I go along, then designing the actual book and cover).
Nice, 5th play-through ... I only did a 2nd play-through .. that's it.

Hmmm I think I'm gonna play it again after finishing P4 The golden >_<

Aile~♥

Hi, Griever! Been a while since you've showed up!

Yeah, I've done two playthroughs of Dark Dawn myself. The random drop rates for the various endgame weapons are really irritating with the decreased encounter rate and increased EXP gain.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

lordnitemare

...Particularly when you have OCD and refuse to move on from an area till you have EVERYTHING you possibly can. Good news is you are a monster by the time you come to the final boss. Bad news is you are a monster when it comes time for the final boss...aka...35 levels above where you 'should' be...(was around lvl 60 then). So pathetically easy. I swear the thing went down on just a few Meggidos, and a couple good summons...

What made it doubly difficult in the beginning, was that I refused to be higher than the character joining the party...so for Amity, I had to make sure everyone was lvl 14, and no higher. The same for Eoleo, Sveta (BOTH TIMES), and Himi...but once Himi joined, all bets were off...

If Twilight said breathing was uncool, 98% of teenagers would be dead. Post this if you are one of the 2% Laughing...

Rolina

Quote from: Knight of Purgatory on 25, November, 2012, 10:07:24 AM
Role - well actually I think your gs icon stuff is pretty nice. It actually gave me some inspiration for some of my icon work. Anyway a new member? Yes!
My low res ones are good, true, but my DD style work has much to be desired.  I can't even get one of my spell lines to look right, as you can see from my signature, and I'm having to get other people to do items for me, because I really, really suck at them. :x

Still, I can't say it's all bad.  I am getting better.

Griever

QuoteHi, Griever! Been a while since you've showed up!
Yaaaah, work is demanding a lot more time from me ... that and the annoying business trips to Iraq ..

I'm here, will reply when I have to, but until I can figure out my "time table" >_< I don't think I will be much use to the forum.

QuoteI can't even get one of my spell lines to look right, as you can see from my signature
They look fine to me >_< you are better than you think.

Rolina

Including the one that's a literal blank?  The very first one because I can't get it right?

Griever

QuoteIncluding the one that's a literal blank?  The very first one because I can't get it right?
Ah, what spell it supposed to be?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Looks like I haven't said hello yet. I suppose this is the perfect time to do so in order to get us back on topic! Anyway, welcome to Golden Sun Hacking Community. Most people just come here to use the Editor as far as I know. And since most parts of the editor is not terribly difficult to understand, you should fit in quite well.  Even if you don't hack, you can still make yourself at home. There are actually very few of us here (like me and Atrius) that research game data on a hex editing level. This includes game code as well.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

zman9000

QuoteAnd now I am on my 5th playthorugh of Golden Sun: DD, and am in the process of creating my own complete (fan) guide (as in writing the guide as I go along, then designing the actual book and cover).

I've easily played GS1 100% about 30 times.
And I've played GS2 at least 45 times 3 being 100% runs.

But GSDD ... I've only played once and not 100%, it takes everything I have just to think about playing it again. You must really like it. I for one didn't care to much for it.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

lordnitemare

That is true. I too played GS1 to 100% (including the Feather Robes), more times than I can count, and GS2 the same (going so far as that farming those monsters that drop crafting mats, so I could craft every possible craft item)...

But after the first play-though of GSDD, I was like 'Noooooohhh...this is too hard...'. Then a few weeks later, 'I am as bored as...well...bored...meh, I still have DD in the slot. I'll play it again! This time with a guide so I can get everything!' And well, it sorta became a personal goal for me. Then the idea for the game guide came.

I entitled the first part in Tanglewood Forest 'Rescuing the Immature @#$%&*'. I think it's punchy...

[Edit: I don't think the forum likes the word do.uche very much...will have to keep that in mind...]

Durza

Welcome to the forums. Also, if you're doing a playthrough of DD, have you found all the encyclopedia entries? There's two 'd's and the last f that I can never seem to find...
It's not a lie if you don't want to be believed. You're can't be wrong if you don't think you're right.

lordnitemare

Since I had to completely restart, and I have all three saves at various points on this play through, (one just after the start, just in case I missed something at the beginning, and as a basic restart instead of going through that horrendously long intro sequence, and two around the part where I am up to), I can't check my last play through...however, I'll keep an eye out and tell you.

Rolina

Quote from: Durza on 30, November, 2012, 06:07:07 AM
Welcome to the forums. Also, if you're doing a playthrough of DD, have you found all the encyclopedia entries? There's two 'd's and the last f that I can never seem to find...
You can permanantly miss some encyclopedia entries.