News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Making Psynergy actually good

Started by kamikazetomato, 24, December, 2012, 05:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamikazetomato

So I wanted to make a relatively slight alteration to the game: making it so psynergy is useful throughout the game. I figure the best way to do this would be to change certain spells from base damage to added/multiplied damage.

My question is how much this should be done without things getting overpowered and boring. I'm pretty the multiplier system is based on 10 (so if I make a spell a multiplier of 10 it will do the same damage as a physical attack), and I know that Quick Strike is pretty great at 1.8. My idea is to make it so each version of magic uses different damage effects.

So for instance the Quake line would be base power, the Spire series would be added damage, and the Gaia series would be multiplier (Ragnarok and Odyssey will also be multipliers). Do y'all have any suggestions for a good range of attack to go for?

Or any general advice on making psynergy good, but not powerful enough to be boring?

zman9000

I use to think the same sorta thing until I had the whole system put into context.

In Golden sun the lost age Dullahan at level 5 because of stats and how they work.

I've beat golden sun one 100% at level 19 with zero grinding and many, many skipped field battles.

Psynergy is extremely over powered to those who know how to use it.

And lastly I'm currently working on researching all golden sun stats and how they relate to each other even between uncommon stats.
So to answer you, no its not exactly a good idea at this point, no one has a really good grasp on how to effectively balance the stats given so many different things are off with the stats them selves.

if you want to see how broken the game can get play my "Golden Sun Totally Broken Hack" for golden sun 1.
Golden sun its self is good as it is, any stronger or weaker and things become to overkill or useless.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Aile~♥

The first Golden Sun was very well balanced as it was. Golden Sun 2, on the other hand, does have some balance issues. But the easiest way to fix those and make Psynergy a viable option is to go through all the enemies and increase their Defence stats at the expense of some HP. This way, they will be more vulnerable to Psynergy and less vulnerable to physical strikes.

Another thing you could do is double every stat everywhere other than Attack and Defence, then make the regular Attack command a 2.0x damage multiplier (so that the formula for damage is now Attack - Defence, rather than (Attack - Defence)/2) and balance all spells and abilities around that. Now you have free reign to use Added Damage as a magical damage type rather than physical, as Added Damage is still (Attack - Defence)/2 + Power. Thus, Added Damage only factors in half of Attack and Defence, and so is a more magical-oriented damage type.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

This is a discussion we've had many, many times, and have come up with many ways to approach it.  Just browse around a bit and you can find where we came up with solutions.