News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

All PS3 Users will be Enraged at this "Patent"

Started by Jiten, 09, January, 2013, 05:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

I still really don't follow that train of logic, so I'm just gonna drop it before I say or do something stupid.  Instead, rejoice, everyone!  Alas, the XBO is even worse about DRM than we thought!  Wait, maybe rejoice was the wrong word...

Anywho, here's the articles:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Always_Online_Connection
http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Used_Games_and_Rentals
http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Digital_Downloads_and_Installs

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Thanks for the update.

First link:
-You must connect once every 24 hours... and you don't have to be Always Online.
Okay... Sounds like a recap...

Second link:
-Microsoft has given other publishers the ability to prevent their games from being given away, rented or traded.
Ouch.  Now developers get to be dictators with that kind of control!  The one with the most controls get the freedom, and the ones without it, get to be slaves...

-You can only give Xbox One games to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days.
I honestly don't see the point in even bothering with having this rule. Example: *Friends them, and unfriends them right after* What torture, but then again, it's not like people give games that often.

*Reads rest of page* Wow... so flawed... and now I'm wondering if this will attract hackers even more... To try and *break* the system. Pretty much anything to disable the internet-check... I would like to see how well the hackers progress... I wouldn't be surprised if someone puts up a fundraiser to get some stuff decapped by a professional company. 3dbrew (The #1 site for 3ds hacking, I think) has already raised over $2000 and seems to be at their goal, so I imagine any valid/trusted hacking site for a popular console would get plenty of donations in a years time.

Quote from: RoleNot sure.  We know there is going to be a small fee, but we don't know how much or what the specifics are yet.  Just stalk IGN until they find out, I suppose.
I'm guessing the fee is decided by the developers?

Link 3: Ah, so instead of installing your games to your console, you are installing it to their server... hmm.... I have a feeling you don't even need the disc anymore after the install... so...

Now I got to rethink my other question(s) for a second:
Quote from: me from page 3By the way... quick question about the used games fee. So if you had two of the same games for XBO, does it register for the game's title, so all game's with the same title work, or only just the one you put in? I'm curious to wonder if you could change the game's title value to match one that is already registered so you could bypass the fee...

Ofcourse, you could also try to find out how games are detected as used, and delete those values?
Chances are my second question would never work if those values are on their server. So if your console ever gets lost or breaks... you never lose any of your data. ; As for the title-change trick idea... I wouldn't be surprised if there was a check on the validity of the game. (For example, what if there is a checksum on the entire game?) I wouldn't be surprised if there was also some form of encryption used as well. This bites. Even with this... I still can't say if it is hack-proof or not, but I can guess that it might be very secure and involve quite a bit of advanced hacking? (Maybe even to the point of "hacking" their server if it is possible? Most likely not, since they could probably easily track it somehow... and send you to court.) But on the bright side, maybe there will be some exploits? Who knows...

I wonder if it is possible to "share" accounts? Assuming you can access them anywhere you can find an XBO and internet...  For example, suppose if you decided that the family member accounts would be shared by all your friends? (None specifically devoted to any friend.)
However, that would be a bit of a problem because of this: "You can always play your games, but only one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time. "

P.S = Anyone else think the topic's title should be changed to " All Xbox die-hard fans will be Enraged at this "Patent" "?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Knight of Purgatory

MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES