News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Legend Of Zelda - Sprite Images

Started by Majora, 11, February, 2013, 04:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

By tthe way, I said "had they been unknown"... to imply that its location is, in fact, known.

(Atrius posted some locations in this topic (Which I believe I also put in my Hacking Documentation):  http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=1424.0 - They don't include character graphics, though.)

0x0803DB48 - Index of Character Portraits in file table

0x0804EB58 - Item icon graphic table

0x08054A14 - Ability icon graphic table

0x0805EB58 - Character Portrait reference table

And I think I found the character graphic data in the master file system once.. if I remember correctly. Yeah, it's in my Hacking Documentation.

Quote1D6;470;0895BB58 = Character Portraits
1D7;471;0896428C = Menu Icons
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Thunder-squall

O, I did a google image search, and came across the OP's sprites on goldensunrealm.com/
Same stuff?  Or something different.
I see "Atrius" in the url.
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/AtriusV/Random%20Screens/LinkGoldenSun.gif)

Majora

Yup, same stuff.  The Link model has always been in the game, it was created by Golden Sun's developers.  Think it was used as a tasteful non-player character test model of some kind.  I simply replaced Felix's default stance front-facing sprite with Link's default stance front-facing sprite for the fun of seeing Link and Zelda doing their thing together in-game. 
Atrius has done similar things with Link's sprites as well, yep.  Created custom areas and cutscenes, text and dialogue, all sorts of cool things.

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Majora on 06, January, 2014, 09:11:38 PM
The Link model has always been in the game, it was created by Golden Sun's developers. 
O, did not know that.  Cool.

So do you mostly edit sprites to relax as you're doing something else, or is there some grand vision you're trying to achieve?

Majora

All for fun.  I'll spend a good amount of the work week at a console with my head buried in the computer, various audio production projects going on at all times.  Like to engage in small-pleasure activities on the laptop once in awhile, which is why I'll produce an occasional sprite or compose a piece of music that utilizes Golden Sun samples in some way, ironically something I already do in other projects, as well. 
One of my most recent practices has involved extracting the audio samples from various video games, such as the Golden Sun and Legend Of Zelda series, and using them in various ways in a variety of productions, such as film soundtracks, albums, sound design, things of that nature.  Can be pleasant, veering away from using samples in such comparatively-standard formats like album and soundtrack productions, taking the time to enjoy activities like these.

Thunder-squall

I'm a total noob, but where are some good places to check out if I want to know more about composing or using video game music? My current project's using love2d, and while I've only been able to get it to play ogg files using audio recorded with Audacity, apparently it can play mp3, wave, and other formats as well)

Majora

All sorts of options available.  
Can do it on the computer if you'd like - look into deciding on a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), which is a program that can be used to produce audio and sequence music.  There's a good amount of them, they all have their own little gimmicks going on in some way, really depends on your work methods and what kind of results you're after.  
I personally use a mix of software and hardware, can recommend different programs, if you'd like.

There's Pro Tools by Avid, great for all-around audio production.  Can achieve just about any kind of sound you can imagine.  Has a solid array of consoles and other hardware units, as well as a hefty price tag and learning curve - takes getting used to.  Audio production, sequencing, mixing, mastering, thing does it all.  Definitely worth the investment.
http://www.avid.com/US/products/family/pro-tools

There's Ableton Live, a decent intermediate DAW.  Boasts a fairly user-friendly interface, has a distinct overall sound as well.  Have no idea what it is, I can always tell if a track was produced in Ableton somehow.  Can produce some pretty sleek pieces.  Comes with a set of passable software and a few effects for the price, could be a lot worse.  
Reliable for live performances as well, only ever had one or two problems with it in the past five, six years.  Eats a good amount of computer memory though.  Excels at audio processing in particular, from how I've used it in the past.  Very easy to manipulate a large variety of sounds on the fly.  Great for creating your own samples and instruments.
https://www.ableton.com/

There's FL Studio by Imageline, by far the most popular DAW, from what I've seen.  Think Imageline offers an infinite-use demo version of the program where saving projects as project files is the only limitation, which is a nice feature, in comparison with other program demos.  
Has a bit of a funky way of doing things, and can produce rather amateurish results very easily if used in a passive manner, (anyone you see online who refer to the pieces of music they produce as "beats", for example) but it can be just as powerful as Ableton Live if put to good use.  Good for MIDI sequencing, has a solid low-latency response time as well.  Great for sequencing rhythm parts, percussion riffs, and producing backing tapes for live performances.  Can get things sounding very tight using FL Studio.  Would go with it if sequencing MIDI-based music is what you're going for.
http://www.image-line.com/flstudio/

Then there are a few others, such as Cubase by Steinberg Media Technologies, and Reaper by Cockos.
Can't say all that much for either one, in this market.  Cubase was very intuitive in the nineties, used it on a few albums myself.  It hasn't seen too many improvements in the recent past though, unfortunately.  
Very bare-bones, can be difficult to accomplish simple tasks that are easily dealt with in other programs.  Can say the same for Reaper, it's very cut-rate, in my opinion.  Can be a little limited, as neither seem to enjoy working simultaneously with other DAWs, hardware, or even simple USB-input MIDI instruments very much.  Not to say they don't have value, of course, I'm sure they can produce decent results if put to good use.  

http://www.steinberg.net/en/shop/cubase.html
http://www.reaper.fm/

Thunder-squall

much thanks!  I'll give feed back as I try them out.