News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

I Would Like to ask for help with my translation.

Started by KyleRunner, 07, June, 2013, 04:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyleRunner

Hello.

Excuse-me for creating a new topic, but it's my last try.

For years I've beens searching for a tool similar to Golden Sun Toolkit (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gstoolkit/) that works with Golden Sun the Lost Age. Four years ago I made a fan translation of the first game (in Portuguese - I'm from Brazil) using this tool. However, it does not works with the second game.
The Golden Sun editor don't work at all for a Portuguese translation, because the compression tables won't allow me (à, á, ç, ..... don't work).

What I'm asking is if there's someone with more knowledge than me that could help with my project. (e.g. Creating a tool like GSTOOLKIT that works with Lost Age, for example).

Thanks in advance

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

As far as I know, the only person here to know how the text compression tables work is Atrius.  Unfortunately, I have not studied them yet.

But on the subject of Portuguese... I know very little about the language. I'm only literate in English, and I also know some Spanish, but that's mostly it. ; Anyway, I'm assuming the tables will definitely have to be rewritten for them.

@Atrius: Is there by any chance that you might already have an image of the compression table uploaded somewhere?  Otherwise, I guess I'll have to figure this out on my own a bit later, when I feel like it. (No idea when that will be.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Atrius (He/Him)

I don't, I never figured out how to rewrite them properly either.

What Golden Sun Toolkit does is bypass the compression algorithms so the text can be stored uncompressed and rewritten without running into compression table problems.  There is a Chinese patch for The Lost Age that uses the same technique.  Since GStoolkit is open source it would be possible to reverse engineer the Chinese patch to add compatibility for TLA to GStoolkit.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

KyleRunner

Atrius and Teawater, thanks for the reply!

Here's the link to my translation (ages ago): http://www.romhackers.org/modules/PDdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=31&lid=518

I'm not a hacker, so I don't know anything of the subject..... I was only able to translate the game because the tools were easy to use.

Could you (I mean, one of you) help me?

I truly want to translate this game.

Thanks again.

Atrius (He/Him)

http://www.goldensunhacking.net/downloads/gstlatoolkit.zip

Here you go, I've added The Lost Age compatibility to Golden Sun Toolkit.  This version has separate ".bat" files for Golden Sun and Golden Sun The Lost Age identified by "GS" and "TLA" respectively at the end of the file names.  The Golden Sun bat files still expect the ROM name "gs.gba" and The Lost Age bat files expect the ROM name "tla.gba"

EDIT:
Did some more testing with it, and there's an odd issue...  The dialogue in game seems to be starting offset by one line, but everything else appears normal.  Weird...  I don't see any obvious reasons for it...  I'm looking into it.

EDIT #2:
Ah...  Line #13C4 in TLA's script starts with a "#" character, so it gets interpreted as a comment shifting all of the lines after it back by one...  It's the only one though.  If you replace the "#" character at the beginning of that line with "{23}" it will fix it without actually changing the text there.  The value {23} will be converted back to # when you reinsert the text.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

KyleRunner

I'm so grateful that I could cry!!!!
I've waited years to get the tool to translate this game! I've waited patiently for this since I first read about the editor.

I'll try it first second thing in the morning (after work)!

Thanks again! And thanks for all the hard work with the editor!

EDIT 1: The rom does not work after patch... Odd... it goes from 16 to 24 MB (I know, to have more "space" for the uncompressed text) and don't run in the emulator. I'm kinda used to this tool, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong... could you help me (again  :sad:)? I tried to change the # in the line as you said but the game still don't work....

Edit 2: Too odd... If I patch a Italian or Spanish rom with the scripts taken from the US rom, they work (with texts out of order). US rom still does not work after patch.

Edit 3: Is it my impression or the Italian The Lost Age don't have all text strings shown in the editor? Can't seem to find the ending text and some books... My plans to insert text on the italian rom are now far away again...
Or is it possible to make the GSTOOLKIT compatible with the italian rom?

Atrius (He/Him)

You are using a clean English version with a CRC32 of 606A1C4D, right?  There are some dirty versions out there I've seen people run into issues using with my editor before.

KyleRunner

I've downloaded 4 roms... some don't start, some are not edited by the tool.
I'll try to find the one you said.

Did you look at my comments about the Italian rom? Am I correct?

EDIT: It worked!!!!

Thanks again! It will take some time, but I'll translate this game.

I think that this tool will make creating original hacks easier, along with the editor.

Atrius (He/Him)

I believe the Italian and Spanish versions had different strings in the game data for singular, and plural versions of item names.  They were the only language versions to do this.  Since the tool is preprogrammed for a specific number of strings it misses some at the end of the list because of this.

EDIT:
gstlatoolkit-10-06-13.zip

Here, this version should be more compatible with some of the "dirty" English TLA files.

KyleRunner

Atrius, thank you very much!

By the way, do you know a code to make the player run without pressing buttons (press button: walk; don't press: run)? Sorry to bother...

Atrius (He/Him)

Glad I could help.

Was it just the video compression that made the ground look pixelated in that video?  It's weird, I wouldn't expect that...

As for a code to make the player run normally and walk when pressing the button, no one has asked for something like that.  It's not something I'd even considered...  Hmm... Lets see, changing the byte at 0x080270A2 from 00 to 02 will do it for towns/caves/e.t.c.  and doing the same for the byte at 0x080279DA will do it for the world map.

KyleRunner

Quote from: Atrius on 12, June, 2013, 02:04:27 PM
Glad I could help.

Was it just the video compression that made the ground look pixelated in that video?  It's weird, I wouldn't expect that...

As for a code to make the player run normally and walk when pressing the button, no one has asked for something like that.  It's not something I'd even considered...  Hmm... Lets see, changing the byte at 0x080270A2 from 00 to 02 will do it for towns/caves/e.t.c.  and doing the same for the byte at 0x080279DA will do it for the world map.

I used a low quality compression codec, to get a smaller video.

How can I change these values? I'll try with the game editor.

I discovered that the fonts used in Lost Age battles support accents too (unlike the first - that's why I had to mess with the Italian rom in my first translation...)!! :heart: My translation will get even better and easier!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT 1: It worked! I used your april first editor... and voilà!!!
         Can you tell me how to do the same with the italian rom of the first game?

Atrius (He/Him)

Nice, I think you're the first person to actually use the April fools edition of the editor productively.

I don't know exactly where the code for player movement is in the first game, let alone the Italian version of it.  It may take me some time to find it...

KyleRunner

Quote from: Atrius on 13, June, 2013, 12:22:04 PM
Nice, I think you're the first person to actually use the April fools edition of the editor productively.

I don't know exactly where the code for player movement is in the first game, let alone the Italian version of it.  It may take me some time to find it...

Atrius, I can't thank you enough for the help. I don't know Adam of hacking and stuff...

By the way (here comes another request...), do you a way to disable that "code" that inserts "an" or "a" or "the" before the item name? I tried to erase that "{14}"... I think you know that that doesn't work....

Thanks again!

Atrius (He/Him)

It should be "{14}{02}" to display an item name, if you replace the "{02}" with "{01}" it won't add the "an"/"a"/"the" part.

KyleRunner

Thanks again,

When you have info about my other request (run normally in GS1 Italy), let me know!

KyleRunner

Thanks to Atrius, my portuguese translation of the second game is running smoothly.

Thanks again.

EDIT:

Just to make this topic whole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmNRjH9Ijc&t=1s

I just finished (a month ago) my portuguese translation of TLA.
Thanks again, Atrius and Labmasterz!