News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Pricing and Donation ideas

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 03, December, 2013, 12:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

I don't think this has ever been discussed before, so thought I'd bring this up.

This isn't about actually adding a price to an editor or anything. It's about what you think the editor would cost if it did have a price. (Or how much you would be willing to pay for it.) You can price Atrius's editor as a whole, and/or individual features (Including my Assembly Editor idea.)  Practically anything about pricing.

Me: I would probably pay $0. (As of current.  It would be higher, if I had a way of giving swagbucks instead, but you know...)
Apart from that, I would guess Atrius's editor might be worth maybe $8-ish.

So what does everyone else think?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Misery

Well, I guess the first thing I should say is that there's a very good reason it's free to use. I don't think that requires any explanation.

And then, I always look for free alternatives when it comes to software, especially editors of any kind. I think the only program I've actually bought is Paint Tool SAI, the rest are freeware/open source alternatives. If the one and only editor had a price tag on it, I'd rather not use it. That said, would probably pay like 20$ for the pro version, which has map/tile data editing, script editor, export/import of all graphics formats, integrated rewriting of text data compression tables, etc.
too bad it doesn't exist

Yeah, that is true. I feel that a priced program (Even if one penny), would probably not be used by most users who use only free software.

You and I see the same way about Free and Paid software, huh? Practically every program I have downloaded were freeware/shareware/trialware, but none of them were paid for by me. The only online thing I paid for, as far as I know right now, was RuneScape. (And you are paying for monthly membership, not the entire product.)

To name a few notable free applications:
Lazyshell = Free open-sourced SMRPG editor made in C#.
Camstudio = Free open-sourced screen recorder.
Desmume = Free open-sourced NDS emulator. (Their last version was quite recent as well, 0.9.10.)
Paint.NET = Free, but not open-sourced...

And even if a price were added, (Which I don't plan on doing), I'm thinking discounts would be given to active GSHC members. (Maybe even to the point some could get it free.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Kioll

I look at it this way:  Once something becomes open-source, it no longer has a right to charge anyone.  Editor being open sourced, it is worth exactly $0.  Personally, I wouldn't pay money for it, but if I were to value the .4 version (the one right before open source), I wouldn't charge any less than $5-10.  Wouldn't charge more than $15.  If I believed in charging money for something of this nature, that is.  Which would probably be very stupid because it opens you up to being sued by Camelot.
I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

Quote from: Kioll on 03, December, 2013, 02:40:39 PM
I look at it this way:  Once something becomes open-source, it no longer has a right to charge anyone.  Editor being open sourced, it is worth exactly $0.  Personally, I wouldn't pay money for it, but if I were to value the .4 version (the one right before open source), I wouldn't charge any less than $5-10.  Wouldn't charge more than $15.  If I believed in charging money for something of this nature, that is.  Which would probably be very stupid because it opens you up to being sued by Camelot.
Yeah... I agree with your point that open-sourced software shouldn't cost a thing.

Not to mention, this topic is also about donations needed to put features in that weren't in before.  (Would Camelot sue someone giving free software, but still accepting donations as "thank you's" to encourage said developer to further work on the application?... Much like what is being done with Lazyshell.)

(Currently, I am not accepting any donations as of yet, so... And there's a reasonably good chance that I won't consider it before my new GS Editor...)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Kioll

Donations aren't a required thing.  Generally, donations indicate a non-profit benefit.  And people can't stop donation giving.  I could walk up to you on the street and donate to you without ever knowing you.  Donations don't have to be because of anything, they're to help someone along.  That's what they are.
I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

Yes... but I was more or less saying whether it was a good idea to advertise/encourage that a certain amount of money should be donated in order for a feature to make it in a program. (So it's still sort of like paying for the product in one way... but served by the community rather than an individual. - Once in, however, it remains 100% free.) - If 3dbrew's fundraiser is anything to go by, it might not be much of a problem? (But that is still a bit different.)

I heard once that some things like advertising alcohol (Does this just include discounts/coupons/deals? Or just in general? I don't remember?) that is served in a restaurant  (Probably banner ads.) can be illegal... (However, legal inside the restaurant itself.) and stuff of that nature... but I'm not knowledgable in that area. ; I don't think that applied to alcohol stores, though? (Again, I vaguely remember what this was about (aka: it was on the news once), so it probably should be googled.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Wolf

If you want to stay on the safe side avoid anything that earns money under another company's banner without consent.

Quote from: Kioll on 05, December, 2013, 02:56:43 AM
Donations aren't a required thing.  Generally, donations indicate a non-profit benefit.  And people can't stop donation giving.  I could walk up to you on the street and donate to you without ever knowing you.  Donations don't have to be because of anything, they're to help someone along.  That's what they are.

Donations in general also have rules depending on a lot of factors.  Donating money to someone outside a store is much simpler than donating it to a candidate.  Part of the reason for this is because donations can be used to earn money in an indirect manner allowing the person receiving it to avoid legal or financial deductions and a bunch of other stuff that would take a long time to explain.

Thunder-squall

I've often seen the 'buy me a beer' donation option, which supposedly relates to buying the developers beverages as they work on the project.  It's essentially a way to encourage people to spend time on the open source project.

So the question for devs is, what types of donations would encourage you to spend time on dead-end projects?