News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Microwave Incidents

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 07, January, 2014, 10:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Here is where you can post stories about your experiences with using microwaves.

For example, I have heard if you microwave an egg, it will explode.

It's also obvious to note that plastic melts...

Does anyone ever microwave paper towels? (Like say you wrap a burrito for 1:30 seconds...) ... ofcourse, paper towels can actually catch on fire if heated long enough, I think....? (Not sure how long it takes.)

http://askville.amazon.com/leave-paper-towel-microwave-catch-fire/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=63263601 = Some answers say no.. but I've experienced sparks one time when I heated something for five minutes. (Ofcourse, I had to open the paper towel up, to see them... ) - I suppose liquid could have been the culprit.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Kioll

I microwave paper towels all the time.  Never had issues.
I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

Cool, thanks for your input.

I think it was from wrapping a moist paper towel around something relatively small. (Moist because I tried to put a little sauce on this small item, heh.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Kioll on 07, January, 2014, 02:34:06 PM
I microwave paper towels all the time.  Never had issues.
I.e. with hotpockets.

How long should one microwave donuts for?  30 seconds seem a bit too long if they've got chocolate frosting.  The frosting basically stuck to the plate, and it's pretty tough to clean.

Wolf

:NeutralStar: If you microwave an egg for a certain amount of time it will explode or become volatile.  (Don't remember exactly how long, not planning on finding out again.)  Microwaving eggs out of their shells can have a similar, less explosive effect.  Scrambling them and taking the eggs out to be stirred periodically reduces the risk.

:NeutralStar: Microwaving metallic material is a bad idea.  Accidentally tried that myself a long time ago by leaving a fork in a bowl being heated.  Have you ever seen lightning and sparks in a transparent box?  It looked a lot like that.

:NeutralStar: Microwaving food with a paper towel is safe unless something goes wrong.  Keeping an eye on the status of the food in the microwave while it is cooking is a wise idea.  Same thing applies to any food being cooked.

Also, don't heat a microwave with nothing in it. Some sources say newer microwaves have protections for this, however.

@Shell-less egg: Well, that's nice to know, but I doubt I'd ever cook eggs in the microwave, anyway. (Unless maybe I'm following a recipe that says so--which is unlikely.)

- Not only just keeping an eye. But also smell can be a bit of a sign, if you're paying attention. (Assuming you can smell a problem sooner than see one, sometimes. Especially with some spoiled foods)

In the end, it's probably always better to use a conventional oven or stove when you can. (Microwaves = radiation , and I'm sure you could easily get microscopic particles of your container in your food as well.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Knight of Purgatory

But doesnt the microwave have protection against the radiation coming out?
MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES

I would think so, but I was talking about those things that are unable to absorb into food because no food is there. (Therefore, absorbing into something it shouldn't, overheating, and therefore messing up your microwave.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

weren't food-utility for microwaves "discovered" when a chocolate bar melted in someone's pocket?

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Teawater on 14, January, 2014, 12:29:35 AM
Microwave Thread: I posted that because the time I caught a paper towel on fire (well, burnt w/ sparks) was in fact sooner than what I made it sound like. ;) And I threw it in the fireplace because I got scared.
This would be the first time I'm hearing about something like this happening.  Normally there's moisture from the food that makes the paper/wooden stuff soggy...

Do we have any volunteers out there who're willing to test when/whether you can get paper towels to catch fire in the microwave?  I suppose there's circulating air in there, so it is possible...  But I kind of don't believe (no willing to test it myself though... But maybe tomorrow, if I'm curious enough).

I had some pasta thingy I put sauce on. I wrapped the towel around this, and it ofcourse got the paper towel all soggy. I believe I folded the dry ends down or something, but don't remember exactly. I had heated it for about 5 minutes.

I don't think I noticed a problem until I got the thing out, I believe? It was hot...

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

o, actually, I believe microwaves work by heating up water molecules, so maybe getting the paper towel wet was *exactly* what enabled the burning.

Wolf

Quote from: Teawater on 14, January, 2014, 12:53:33 AM
I had some pasta thingy I put sauce on.   :Garet::MarsStar:I wrapped the towel around this :MarsStar:, and it of course got the paper towel all soggy. I believe I folded the dry ends down or something, but don't remember exactly. I had heated it for about 5 minutes.

I don't think I noticed a problem until I got the thing out, I believe? It was hot...

It didn't come in a container?

Ofcourse it came packaged in a plastic bag.

*Checks package, since I still have it* They are Stuffed Shells.

Derp. I wasn't planning on revealing the food item. But oh well, you made me. :O (Actually, that's okay.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

We're now closer to solving the mystery...

What mystery? Are you looking for an answer that simply isn't there?

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Wolf

Quote from: Teawater on 14, January, 2014, 01:36:35 AM
Of course it came packaged in a plastic bag.

*Checks package, since I still have it* They are Stuffed Shells.

:no: So you wrapped the food that was in a bag with... a paper towel?  Mystery solved, case closed.

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Teawater on 14, January, 2014, 01:44:27 AM
What mystery? Are you looking for an answer that simply isn't there?
I'm making fun of the fact that there is no mystery.  Why didn't you want to tell us they type of food you were cooking when the napkin caught fire?

^ what Wolf said.  Information is power.  If we had the information, we could have better understood the issue.  You were being secretive and leaving out info for no reason.

Because I wanted to make everyone curious. (Ex: Would anyone ask?)  I had nothing to hide.

@Information is power: I call it Knowledge is freedom, a metaphor I heard about back in 11th grade.

Also, what wrapper? It was one bag bought from the store.... It's not like anything was packaged separately in wrapping inside the bag. It was just 12(?) Stuffed Shells.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Teawater on 14, January, 2014, 02:21:25 AM

@Information is power: I call it Knowledge is freedom, a metaphor I heard about back in 11th grade.

I think curiosity is freedom.  Isn't knowledge responsibility?