News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Fooling around, vs. having a mission

Started by Thunder-squall, 06, February, 2014, 05:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder-squall

I like having a purpose, *even if* that purpose is actively fooling around.  But I like purpose driven stuff, even in video games.  In fact, I think deep "gamification" is about conveying a mission, as opposed to shallow gamification which is about giving points, badges, and other form of unsophisticated positive stimuli.

And I suppose I've always been like that.  Although "exploration" is in itself a mission, and when people fool around, often they're basically just exploring the limits of their reality.  And I'm cool with that, but even when I fool around, I want to feel like I'm "making progress" in that exploration.  So while I am sometimes random and silly, I don't like cultures of randomness and silliness, unless it's building something.

As I've scoured over various forums, I've come across this "Fooling around, vs. having a mission" thing quit a bit, especially on these forums, so I figured it'd be a fruitful conversation to bring up.