Golden Sun Hacking Community
December 15, 2017, 09:49:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Map editor?  (Read 3190 times)
Lord Wolfram
The Lone Wolf
Mars Clan

I am the Angel of darkness and I am back.

Coins: 2

I am: fine!

« on: April 07, 2014, 05:59:51 PM »

Artius made video about mad editing.
Well and I think it is a time to put map editor in tla editor.
it is about time to make version 0.6
View Profile WWW
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

Coins: 0

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 07:54:10 PM »

Are there any sketches of how the map editor will look and function?  Will it be the same as in RPG Maker?
View Profile
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 03:41:56 AM »

@Saturos: I'm not sure there will be a 0.6 for Atrius's Editor. 0.5 was never finished to begin with.

@Thunder-squall: I doubt it, but I remember I was able to design some map editing methods in Atrius's Editor once, but it had bugs, took longer to load maps(etc.), and was very incomplete. I remember giving it to Salanewt once, for kicks, but I don't think I shared it with anyone else?  I think I pushed it aside when I decided to recode the Editor in another language.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 03:44:40 AM by Teawater » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...
Did you know? In English, you are suppose to capitalize the languages. (e.g. English is a proper noun.) Subjects like math, science, history can be left lower-cased unless they are a title. (Kind of like how you can say either "my mom" or "Mom" in "I went with (X) to the store.", except that I don't think languages are ever lower-cased in English.) In Spanish, both subjects and languages are left lower-cased. (I put this here because I've noticed people make this mistake quite often. And am curious if they know about this, and whether they use their way because they believe this grammar usage should have never been a thing?

Remember kids! In getting a job, it's not about what you know, it's about WHO you know! So start making friends with the people that work where you want to work. :) (Friend of a friend and volunteering count too, so keep that in mind.)[/si
View Profile
Lord Wolfram
The Lone Wolf
Mars Clan

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 11:40:34 AM »

well do you still have this designed map editor?
We can try to master this incomplete editor.
After all it is better then nothing.
Then we could try to improve it or something.
View Profile WWW
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 03:40:42 PM »

I sort of doubt anyone here will make any use of it, since I haven't seen anyone attempting to edit the current version of Atrius's editor.
I reckon I uploaded it to MediaFire back in the day...
*Looks through my files*
Luckily, there's one that sounds like it might be it, but I forget what it contains.
Even now, it shows that only one person has downloaded it.
It's also dated Feb. 23, 2013. Ah. That much time has passed already.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/kiasquv2vg8zhmh/GSTLAMapEditorA.zip
I'm guessing the A in the filename stands for Alpha?

(If it is what I remember, you can't copy the tiles from the box on the left, you have to copy them from the map itself... I also strongly recommend using a ROM that you do not care whether it gets corrupted or not.)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 04:06:13 PM by Teawater » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Did you know? In English, you are suppose to capitalize the languages. (e.g. English is a proper noun.) Subjects like math, science, history can be left lower-cased unless they are a title. (Kind of like how you can say either "my mom" or "Mom" in "I went with (X) to the store.", except that I don't think languages are ever lower-cased in English.) In Spanish, both subjects and languages are left lower-cased. (I put this here because I've noticed people make this mistake quite often. And am curious if they know about this, and whether they use their way because they believe this grammar usage should have never been a thing?

Remember kids! In getting a job, it's not about what you know, it's about WHO you know! So start making friends with the people that work where you want to work. :) (Friend of a friend and volunteering count too, so keep that in mind.)[/si
View Profile
Lord Wolfram
The Lone Wolf
Mars Clan

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 05:03:35 PM »

Thanks.
View Profile WWW
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 10:08:36 PM »

I'd very much like sketches for the map editor, so I can implement it in love2d.
View Profile

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 11:44:53 PM »

I'd very much like sketches for the map editor, so I can implement it in love2d.

Wow... A working map editor would be a very nice feature indeed!
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 07:02:34 AM »

Your guess is as good as mine, I guess...?

But if you are wanting to know how the GBA games do the maps:
-There is a collection of 8x8 tiles. (I call it the tiled image, as you can see in the VRAM viewer of VisualBoyAdvance. Atrius's Editor calls it Tileset.) There are four of these "Tilesets", the last (Which isn't shown directly in VRAM.) is for animations. (Which gets applied over the three former "tilesets".)
-Four 8x8 tiles are connected to make a 16x16 tile. This is also where you can choose which of these 8x8 tiles are flipped (Horr. and/or Vert.), and which pallete is used. (Of a maximum of 16)
-These 16x16 tiles are used as map tiles. (The ordering of 16x16 tiles seems to match with when the tile is used in the map, rather than just having an actual pre-made "16x16 tileset"... ; This is speculation, but I'm guessing there may have been a pre-made 16x16 tileset once, but was converted to what we have now for compression purposes.)

Just like with graphic layers, solidity also has three layers. One is used for the Player Character, one is used for Objects you can move, and I forget if the other one is used or not or what it's for.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 07:23:41 AM by Teawater » Logged

View Profile
Lord Wolfram
The Lone Wolf
Mars Clan

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 06:06:57 PM »

Improwed map editor will be bast thing. Good luck Thunder-squall
View Profile WWW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
December 13, 2017, 09:19:38 PM
Fox: Okay, so that Summon Night games adds the fram number to the seed, before generating another seed via mul/add....  (GS1-GS3 never adds the fram number.) ... So um, that makes sense! ;  Summon Night:  ((seed + frame) * 0x343FD + 0x269E3C) >> 0x10 ; Which is also on the list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_congruential_generator
December 12, 2017, 11:10:45 PM
Fox: Yes, and there could be contests. Maybe ones where 1st/2nd/3rd place get a cash reward, but eh. Dunno.... Kind of thinking about making a topic about how people got their job, and what was their experience. (e.g. Did they use references of people already working in the job, and various other things.)
December 09, 2017, 04:24:14 AM
Majora: Import old forum posts for reference, perhaps take posts containing important info like documentation away from the old stickied forum post model and make them into their own pages on a site with an in-built search bar. Might help with SEO, too. If nothing else, perhaps whipping them into PDFs and hosting them via Scribd? The possibilities are boundless when it comes to restructuring a site
December 09, 2017, 04:20:02 AM
Majora: Just a nice idea to have even if it doesn't come to fruition. Updating, modernizing, always a good idea. Could probably do something pretty nifty using a good Wordpress theme
December 09, 2017, 04:15:45 AM
Majora: Would be kind of neat to do something like that for GSHC. Could change it up a bit to show all tweets/instagram posts/facebook posts/golden sun subreddit posts all in one sidebar. It would be cool in that it gives the site it's on (and the topic in general) appear more lively and active, which is a plus
December 09, 2017, 04:14:19 AM
Majora: That does sound interesting. One cool thing I've seen some sites use is a sort of unique take on a sidebar option that acts like a social media integration (like, "See GSHC's latest Tweets"). It displays activity from a variety of related sites, such as Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
December 09, 2017, 12:58:53 AM
Fox: And the way it'd work via code is not that all users would instantly get nicknames the minute you register... but rather, the moment you view a name if it doesn't have a nickname, it gets one. (My Thoughts.)
December 09, 2017, 12:53:55 AM
Fox: (I was thinking that it would be "Name (Nickname)" ... The nickname is what you first known the user as, and you can change that yourself... and the Name is what the user wants to be called... Something like that.
December 09, 2017, 12:47:56 AM
Fox: So like... for starters, one idea I had was to make it so anyone can name anyone... much like how it works on Skype, and you (the namer) would be the only one to see it, and such...
December 09, 2017, 12:45:02 AM
Fox: Would need to be carefully thought out and tested, though.
December 09, 2017, 12:43:02 AM
Fox: I'm thinking I could make it so that name changes can happen whenever... (Without any limit)... Since I believe there's a way to do it with minimum confusion. (I think.) Hmm....
December 09, 2017, 12:31:36 AM
Fox: (I mean an offline version... at least initially.)
December 09, 2017, 12:25:01 AM
Fox: Now that I have thought about it a bit more, would I be right to assume that GSHC would be one of the most interesting websites to administrate, or no? It's sad to see not much going on with it. == I almost want to make a concept website at some point. :D Anyway, how is everyone doing today?
December 06, 2017, 12:12:59 AM
Fox: Like... Start using Github or something... Do like how many of those other projects such as Citra (WIP 3DS Emulator) does. Etc.
December 06, 2017, 12:08:12 AM
Fox: No idea. I just wish OpenGoldenSun would release it as unfinished, but oh well.
December 05, 2017, 06:52:09 AM
MaxiPower: Bummed out that the open golden sun project is dead it seems with no actitivy in close to a year at this point. Is there any hope left in any other projects?
November 27, 2017, 10:25:28 AM
Fox: (When I say research, mainly refering to the data in the game, though checking websites can count to a degree.)
November 27, 2017, 09:52:27 AM
Fox: Maybe. But Dark Dawn is meh, hahah... I still research it, though, because data can be interesting.
November 27, 2017, 05:28:36 AM
Portakin: I'm here! This game is underrated!
November 25, 2017, 08:03:23 PM
Fox: .... and the email listed in that post makes me think we should just make a new rules topic with most of the same information. (So the old ones can be sort o archived.)

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise