News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Map editor?

Started by Lord Wolfram, 07, April, 2014, 01:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Wolfram

Artius made video about mad editing.
Well and I think it is a time to put map editor in tla editor.
it is about time to make version 0.6

Thunder-squall

Are there any sketches of how the map editor will look and function?  Will it be the same as in RPG Maker?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

@Saturos: I'm not sure there will be a 0.6 for Atrius's Editor. 0.5 was never finished to begin with.

@Thunder-squall: I doubt it, but I remember I was able to design some map editing methods in Atrius's Editor once, but it had bugs, took longer to load maps(etc.), and was very incomplete. I remember giving it to Salanewt once, for kicks, but I don't think I shared it with anyone else?  I think I pushed it aside when I decided to recode the Editor in another language.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Lord Wolfram

well do you still have this designed map editor?
We can try to master this incomplete editor.
After all it is better then nothing.
Then we could try to improve it or something.

I sort of doubt anyone here will make any use of it, since I haven't seen anyone attempting to edit the current version of Atrius's editor.
I reckon I uploaded it to MediaFire back in the day...
*Looks through my files*
Luckily, there's one that sounds like it might be it, but I forget what it contains.
Even now, it shows that only one person has downloaded it.
It's also dated Feb. 23, 2013. Ah. That much time has passed already.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/kiasquv2vg8zhmh/GSTLAMapEditorA.zip
I'm guessing the A in the filename stands for Alpha?

(If it is what I remember, you can't copy the tiles from the box on the left, you have to copy them from the map itself... I also strongly recommend using a ROM that you do not care whether it gets corrupted or not.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Lord Wolfram

Thunder-squall

I'd very much like sketches for the map editor, so I can implement it in love2d.

KyleRunner

Quote from: Thunder-squall on 09, April, 2014, 06:08:36 PM
I'd very much like sketches for the map editor, so I can implement it in love2d.

Wow... A working map editor would be a very nice feature indeed!

Quote from: Thunder-squall on 09, April, 2014, 06:08:36 PM
Your guess is as good as mine, I guess...?

But if you are wanting to know how the GBA games do the maps:
-There is a collection of 8x8 tiles. (I call it the tiled image, as you can see in the VRAM viewer of VisualBoyAdvance. Atrius's Editor calls it Tileset.) There are four of these "Tilesets", the last (Which isn't shown directly in VRAM.) is for animations. (Which gets applied over the three former "tilesets".)
-Four 8x8 tiles are connected to make a 16x16 tile. This is also where you can choose which of these 8x8 tiles are flipped (Horr. and/or Vert.), and which pallete is used. (Of a maximum of 16)
-These 16x16 tiles are used as map tiles. (The ordering of 16x16 tiles seems to match with when the tile is used in the map, rather than just having an actual pre-made "16x16 tileset"... ; This is speculation, but I'm guessing there may have been a pre-made 16x16 tileset once, but was converted to what we have now for compression purposes.)

Just like with graphic layers, solidity also has three layers. One is used for the Player Character, one is used for Objects you can move, and I forget if the other one is used or not or what it's for.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Lord Wolfram

Improwed map editor will be bast thing. Good luck Thunder-squall