News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Why do we have the Luna and Sol Clans? And what are they (in our fanon)?

Started by Thunder-squall, 21, April, 2014, 02:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder-squall

So what's the point of having those clans on the site?  And if I wanted to be part of either or both of them, on what basis would I choose?  On what basis would you choose (Luna vs. Sol)?

Luna_blade

Same as the other clans I guess. Just able to group up with what you like.

Well I think Luna and Sol are derivative from the other clans like this:
:Sol::VenusStar::MarsStar:
The sun having much mass (Venus) and power (Mars)
:Luna::MercuryStar::JupiterStar:
The moon being more of a spiritual thing (Jupiter) and changing things (Mercury)

I feel more like a thinker so I choose Luna. (No offense to people who pick Sol)

Also I don't really believe that Luna is evil and Sol is good.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

You can pick one at random, or one by preference.. To me, they are nothing more than a label and access to a private forum... Pretty much. (Atleast until someone decides to give them more meaning.)

I don't think you can join both simultaneously, though. (Or else I would have already done so.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Thunder-squall

I like Luna's view.  But then that makes the Luna Clan distinct from the Umbra Clan, which seems to be against all psienergy.  And the Sol Clan seems different from whatever a Light Clan might be, since Light Adepts seem to be created from beast folk and Golden Sun events.

In our new group project, we could create and expand upon these clans, as combinations or offshoots of the previous clans.

Wolf

Shouldn't we have an "Umbra Clan" instead of a "Luna Clan"?  The Umbra Clan was included in GS:DD.

Luna_blade

One thing I know for sure is that the Luna Clan is more tied to Umbra then to my explaination. So they might just be the same (on the forums).
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Rolina

I don't recall the original rationale, but I know it had to do with DD for sure.   I think we had a choice of an Elemental and a Fundamental clan, so you could both be in Jupiter and Luna if you wanted to.  Still, it's been like, years, and my memory's not to clear on it.  Still, do what you will with them.  It's not like we actually use clans for what they were meant to be.

Satterrible

Meanwhile, ToK just had them because we're fanon trash. B) Specifically, I am. Or at least, my 15-year-old self was.

I do like Role's theory that each element has a "light" side and a "dark" side, and they change aspects based on which it's tilted towards. If you go by the games... Jupiter and Mars seem to have the most light stuff (Mars Djinn, lasers, Phaeton Blade, etc), whereas Venus has the death stuff, Thorny Grave, masses of shadows, etc.
And of course, as you point out, Dark Dawn brings in Umbra (anti-psynergy and shadows) and light. I think the Dark Dawn systems are perfectly reasonable as well. =o

And then if you look at the classes of GS1/GS2...

The Class type is basically.
Venus
Mars
Venus/Mars + Any element (as separate class types.)
Jupiter
Mercury
Jupiter/Mercury + Any element (as separate class types.)

So I assume Venus/Mars were the "warm" elements, and Jupiter/Mercury were the "cold" elements. (Maybe in comparison to the others when ranking them with-in the same fundament. I ain't thought much about that, though. -- Not sure if that's for all fundaments, or just the neutral one, or what... but it is a theory.)

So like... Sol/Mars could be the hottest possible, and Luna/Mercury the coldest possible? Etc.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Satterrible

Yeah, I mean, they explicitly talk about that in the games. S&M use the Venus beacons light to recover their power, because Venus and Mars are symbiotic elements. Then, in TLA, the world continually gets colder after lighting Jupiter because Jupiter and Mercury are 'cold' elements. Kraden uses the analogy of blowing on something to cool it down to illustrate this.

Empedocles, the one who coined the classical four elements thing, saw them as combinations of the principles of hot/cold and dry/wet, with each one being a combination of two. Of course, they don't break down as they do in GS, but it's a useful frame of reference.
In the philosophy, fire is hot/dry, earth is cold/dry, air is hot/wet, and water is cold/wet.

That is interesting... isn't it...

Although, the earth and air one might be controversial philosophy depending on certain variables. (Like game rules.)...

Quick trivial examples:

Earth =
-Warmth because it represents the living. (Unless talking about vampires, undeads, etc.)

Air =
-Cold becomes wind breezes make things feel colder.
-I could imagine a world without water could mean the other three elements become "dry"... but that's a theory.
But perhaps air has a certain degree of humidity in it... so therefore works with water? Hm...

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Satterrible

I think hot+wet comes from a very rudimentary "you heat up water and it becomes air/steam" kind of thing, haha.

Very good point.... But could it be argued that Mars + Mercury/Water = Steam (Wind)

e.g. A quick look-up shows "Fire and Water = Steam" on http://www.dailyhoroscope.com/blog/fire-and-water-steam

It's kinda weird, huh?

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden