News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Theory behind why adepts exist

Started by Thunder-squall, 26, April, 2014, 01:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

Most dark monsters were empowered versions of monsters we previously fought.  Thus, the claim of evolution.

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Rolina on 04, May, 2014, 03:24:20 PM
Most dark monsters were empowered versions of monsters we previously fought.  Thus, the claim of evolution.

I understand.  But empowerment is not evolution.  Those monsters reverted back after the Eclipse.

Rolina

Do we have evidence of this?  Or were they just killed off, since they can't be replenished in the same way?

I do agree that it's a temporary thing, but I don't think it'd be immediate.  There'd be a few stragglers afterwards.

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Rolina on 04, May, 2014, 03:35:42 PM
Do we have evidence of this?  Or were they just killed off, since they can't be replenished in the same way?

I do agree that it's a temporary thing, but I don't think it'd be immediate.  There'd be a few stragglers afterwards.

This is a good conversation for 'monsters and darkness'

But the simple answer is that if the creatures could exist before the Grave Eclipse, I do not see why they would not be able to exist after the Eclipse ended.

Rolina

Perhaps.  I suppose we should get back to the topic at hand.

Regardless of what has been said, I simply see the existence of Adepts as a natural phenomenon.  It's the same reason why people, cats and bunnies exist - it's just how nature works.  Adpets (or Jenai), Exathi, and other standard peoples are just how this world works.

Thunder-squall

Which means that psyenergy is a natural phenomenon that occurs independently of adepts.

Psychic phenomenon, in contrast, is often said to be a mysterious feature or side effect of the 5th element of ether/void/emptiness.  My favorite theory is that the natural forces of the universe have personalities (which is why they're named or referred to based on mythological characters), and that psyenergy adepts have different spiritual relationships with these deities.  Or at the very least, human minds would interpret personalities with the deities as they interacted with them.

Rolina

Yeah, that much is true - psynergy is most certainly independent of adepts.  Psynergetic phenomena occur all the time.  I don't know about deities, though, as there is nothing in the games to support or deny such things.  Summons are as close as we get, and even then an argument can be made for them as "summoned spirits", rather than literal gods. 

Thunder-squall

The important part was that psychic control of elemental forces is made possible by the ether, previously associated with umbra.