News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Should we help Joao?

Started by Luna_blade, 26, April, 2014, 03:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, for the people who are in the DC revival project, should we help Joao or continue on our own?

I want to help Joao
1 (33.3%)
I want the project to be made by us
1 (33.3%)
Other (leave post)
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Lord Wolfram

in which language script is written?

Luna_blade

Well, everything jjppof has done is in RPGmaker. IIRC, he shared the project file.
The base of RPGmaker scripting is a language called Ruby.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Lord Wolfram

Ruby eh? That makes it a bit simpler than I though.
Fox, Do you know ruby weary well?
that language is almost as giving comands in english language.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

I mainly have experience with VB.NET and some Java... However, I could /probably/ get away with editing most any programming language (that's in English), especially when there's documentation on the language and the source code has been commented/noted in some way.  I find languages have plenty of similarities, either way.

I guess I could take a look at the Ruby some time... eventually.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

jjppof

I go on vacation Dec. 19. I'll go back to work. Since march/April I've been very very busy.

-----------edit--------------

btw, ruby is very very easy to learn... I learned to make this project and I'm gonna have to learn again...

Anyone interested, this can help: http://tryruby.org/

Have a nice vacation!

Thanks!

Then I guess Ruby is an open-book... almost like I can say I know it .... because I have experience in other language(s)?

Your project is 24.8 MB when downloaded... Hm.. it's >16 MB, but that's fine. (16 MB because that's the size of the GS2 Rom, and even after that, it still had a lot of free space. (0-filled data)...) Main difference in filesize might be because you do simple-formatted large tilesets, while the GBA games break it down so much...

Edit: Well, I can get RPG XP to work... but I will need RPG Maker VX?   Hm.... I guess I'll have to look into it.
Edit again: Any suggestion on how to get VX? (I saw something about PSIKey_2.dll... but it's a rather large file... which is a bit suspicious... Dunno, though. A /quick/ scan for text with a hex editor didn't turn up any red flags.)
The difficulty/risk in obtaining something for free makes me feel like I should create my own open-sourced creation program in place of VX. :/
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Luna_blade

Quote from: Fox on 10, December, 2014, 08:35:00 AM

Your project is 24.8 MB when downloaded... Hm.. it's >16 MB, but that's fine. (16 MB because that's the size of the GS2 Rom, and even after that, it still had a lot of free space. (0-filled data)...) Main difference in filesize might be because you do simple-formatted large tilesets, while the GBA games break it down so much...
Obviously it has to get much bigger. The map files from RPGmaker take up much space.
Edit: Well, I can get RPG XP to work... but I will need RPG Maker VX?   Hm.... I guess I'll have to look into it.
Edit again: Any suggestion on how to get VX? (I saw something about PSIKey_2.dll... but it's a rather large file... which is a bit suspicious... Dunno, though. A /quick/ scan for text with a hex editor didn't turn up any red flags.)
Err... I actually bought the thing when it was in the humble bundle.
Since it is on steam, I unfortunately cannot give  it to you.
The difficulty/risk in obtaining something for free makes me feel like I should create my own open-sourced creation program in place of VX. :/
Hehe! :happy:
Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

Knight of Purgatory

Free stuff? Sweet! Everybody luvs free stuff
MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES

QuoteObviously it has to get much bigger. The map files from RPGmaker take up much space.
Obviously, unless you were to say, use tricky compression techniques. ;)
QuoteSince it is on steam, I unfortunately cannot give  it to you.
Or you could, but then it would be at your expense? (And then at mine, if I start feeling guilty for someone buying something for me.)
QuoteHehe!
Well, wouldn't you feel that way if you knew you had the mindset and ability to make such things?

QuoteFree stuff? Sweet! Everybody luvs free stuff
If you are talking about my program idea, well.. It's only in pre-planning. Heh. If it gets pass that, then good...

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

jjppof

Java is not that different of ruby(syntactically)... ruby is gonna be easy for you. Ruby have a lot of features that's gonna make you hate java.
Something thats gonna make the project big is the summons videos. At the original game, as you know, they animate images.
You're gonna need VX (and probably VX Ace...), the base scripts changed a lot from XP to VX  :sad:
I didn't start the game thinking in the size (what kind of programmer I am...), a looot of things can be compressed...
And if you start reading my code, you're gonna see how dirty It is hahahahaha...

QuoteJava is not that different of ruby(syntactically)... ruby is gonna be easy for you.
Nice to hear.
QuoteRuby have a lot of features that's gonna make you hate java.
Examples?
Does it allow for having ByRef argument of primitive types like byte, short, integer, long, etc?  (My work-around could be to make a class and use class level variables.)

QuoteAnd if you start reading my code, you're gonna see how dirty It is hahahahaha...
Not to worry, I've done dirty before as well... (My Yoshi Magic program... that I never fixed up.)

Would it be okay if we add to the list:
- Text in menus/dialogues need to be more legible.

I would like it if this thing could do pure Ruby without the need in selecting commands... All the extra clicking might be slightly distracting... Hm..
Edit: Well, that was the Event Editor, but now I just found the Script Editor! Yay!

Edit again: Although, this is not organized the way I want it.
Script Engine in Event Editor would be cool, = Nevermind, you can make Script snippets in the Event Editor! (I think of that like Private Scripts, where the Script Editor should have everything that's mostly Global/Public.)
and Tabs in Script Editor would be cool as well. (Although, not entirely necessary depending on game design.)

The stuff with moving pillars should probably be simplified. (Ex: Do we even need the first half, or could you put the button checks at the flag checks instead?)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Luna_blade

Quote from: Fox on 10, December, 2014, 05:08:03 PM
Or you could, but then it would be at your expense? (And then at mine, if I start feeling guilty for someone buying something for me.)
Well, it is possible with some games, but I don't have the finest clue how.
Quote from: Fox on 10, December, 2014, 05:08:03 PMWell, wouldn't you feel that way if you knew you had the mindset and ability to make such things?
Yeah...
Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

jjppof

Quote from: Fox on 10, December, 2014, 08:32:32 PM
Does it allow for having ByRef argument of primitive types like byte, short, integer, long, etc?  (My work-around could be to make a class and use class level variables.)

In Ruby to use global vars you don't need to pass it as an arg, you just declare a var as global and use it everywhere. And you can 'pass' everything you want, since everything in ruby is object. Some info about scopes: http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Ruby_Variable_Scope

Look this site for some features: https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/ruby-from-other-languages/to-ruby-from-java/

Languages like Python and Ruby is easier than C, C++, C#, Java, VB...

---------------edit---------------
That move pillar thing is terrible, I'd make a new implementation...

-------edit---------
maybe we can take some time to make the code clever. I wasn't worried about it and I was learning Ruby too... then... things got very messed hahahaha

Okay, thanks. ; What you just said can be done with VB.NET and Java as well... as class-level variables. But they allow you to have arguments for functions as well. Anyway, when you type code in some IDEs, a box of your possible functions pop up, and you can see the arguments they take, which could get a little more confusing without knowing those. I don't see this in the RPG Maker, though.

http://robots.thoughtbot.com/ruby-2-keyword-arguments = This page shows arguments...

Generally, I like the idea of arguments when they apply directly to a function, or a couple of them; and often need to be changed manually every time you call the function. When you start to have a bunch of functions like that, then I start thinking how they could fit in a separate class together.
set_flag(ind) and clear_flag(ind) could be an example of functions one might make.
Another example of one that may or may not need a position arg is read_byte(), since if you are always reading the next position, you can just make it a class-level variable, and increment automatically.

And the Move pillar thing, I was thinking about having it so it pushes in the direction you are facing, rather than doing the four individual checks.

Example: Direction could be a number from 0 to 7. If diagonals don't count, do "if direction & 1 = 0", if that is even necessary. (Does Player Touch do diagonals as well?) ; Golden Sun doesn't do direction in 0-7, though, they use a 16-bit angle value instead. So 0000, 2000, 4000, 6000, 8000, A000, C000, E000 should be the 8 directions.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

jjppof

Quote from: Fox on 11, December, 2014, 01:49:22 PM
Okay, thanks. ; What you just said can be done with VB.NET and Java as well... as class-level variables. But they allow you to have arguments for functions as well. Anyway, when you type code in some IDEs, a box of your possible functions pop up, and you can see the arguments they take, which could get a little more confusing without knowing those. I don't see this in the RPG Maker, though.

http://robots.thoughtbot.com/ruby-2-keyword-arguments = This page shows arguments...

I meant just 'global args'. Cause you gave byref as example, and Ruby doesn't have something like it (almost sure).

edit: I got confused. Understood what you're talking. I was missing the concept of byref. Yes, you are right, byref is keyword args in ruby.

Arguments are like variables themselves.

ByVal and ByRef are VB.NET terms.

ByVal passes the actual value. When you change the argument, you only change the argument, not the variable it derived from. (If you are passing arrays/objects, I think it's automatically a pointer.)
ByRef means that you pass the pointer to the function. So that you can actually change the variable. When this one is changed, the variable is changed, and not the pointer.

Edit: It's likely that ByRef isn't used much, so Global Vars are okay. ; Oh, and when I linked to that page, I forgot to look for the by reference thing. :/ Whoops. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1872110/is-ruby-pass-by-reference-or-by-value

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

jjppof

wait.. byref was what I was thinking... Why were you talking about keywords args? Didn't got

QuoteIn Ruby to use global vars you don't need to pass it as an arg, you just declare a var as global and use it everywhere. And you can 'pass' everything you want, since everything in ruby is object.
^ You made it sound like Ruby didn't use args at all... So I was proving a different point entirely...
I could have misread it, though... since you said Global Vars.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

jjppof

Quote from: Fox on 11, December, 2014, 03:58:19 PM
QuoteIn Ruby to use global vars you don't need to pass it as an arg, you just declare a var as global and use it everywhere. And you can 'pass' everything you want, since everything in ruby is object.
^ You made it sound like Ruby didn't use args at all... So I was proving a different point entirely...
I could have misread it, though... since you said Global Vars.

Oh yeah... its my f* english hahahahah.... sry... I just meant the global vars that don't need to be passed, since they are globals.

Yeah, that, and I wasn't even talking about global vars prior, so...
And don't worry about the English, we all make mistakes. (And even I find it difficult to explain things sometimes.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden