News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Need Help locating the Ability Effects Database for GS1

Started by VanishMantle, 02, September, 2014, 12:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanishMantle

So I had in this topic, Link, how to make summons in a new slot. I tried finding the values in hex for the first Golden Sun however it is different from TLA so I can't quite seem to locate them. If Someone with more experience could help me find this that would be fantastic. Again I am looking for this in the first Golden Sun.

Here is what I originally asked:

Quote from: VanishMantle on 28, July, 2014, 12:43:10 PM
I had wanted to do some unique stuff with my next Golden Sun and TLA mod However I want to make summons better for enemies to use without having to adjust the damage or have them as a skill without the damage being terrible I mainly just need the animation to play for this however looking in the editor the animation slots don't work on new slots I read (not sure where on the forum) that the summons are coded differently so is it possible to edit this in with a HEX editor? If so where would I even begin looking for this information. I apologize if this is confusing or has been asked before. Any help is much appreciated.

I also am familiar with this topic as well, Link.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Assuming that much of the values are the same in GS1, but just located at a different address, did you try doing a value search in the hex editor? (And this is also advice for anyone else that wants to help ^ out, since I don't have GS1 open at this very second.. maybe I will soon, though.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

VanishMantle

Quote from: Fox on 02, September, 2014, 01:26:44 PM
Assuming that much of the values are the same in GS1, but just located at a different address, did you try doing a value search in the hex editor? (And this is also advice for anyone else that wants to help ^ out, since I don't have GS1 open at this very second.. maybe I will soon, though.)

I did actually try this and I could not find it. I am not well versed in hex but know enough to get around at the least. I really just need this so I can continue my mod for GS1 so I can rework the summon/djinni system.

080C2B98 (GS1 "Ability Type Values") = Looks mostly the same to me... so maybe you searched incorrectly? (Ex: I know some hex editors do their searching via byte format.)

Just in case it helps: http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=286.msg42012#msg42012 discusses the Animation Type/argument...

Thought: If you choose to use an animation labeled as *crashes game* try turning on the Summon animation flag in the argument, because it's done separately from the table, and I doubt Atrius accounted for that? (Which means that *crashes game* may not always crash the game? However, it's been quite some time since I checked up on this stuff... so dunno.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

VanishMantle

Quote from: Fox on 02, September, 2014, 02:58:12 PM
080C2B98 (GS1 "Ability Type Values") = Looks mostly the same to me... so maybe you searched incorrectly? (Ex: I know some hex editors do their searching via byte format.)

Just in case it helps: http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=286.msg42012#msg42012 discusses the Animation Type/argument...

Thought: If you choose to use an animation labeled as *crashes game* try turning on the Summon animation flag in the argument, because it's done separately from the table, and I doubt Atrius accounted for that? (Which means that *crashes game* may not always crash the game? However, it's been quite some time since I checked up on this stuff... so dunno.)

I probably just missed it... I did happen to be trying to work on this late at night. That and I am a noob so chances are i did indeed just look incorrectly. BTW as far as hex editors go could you recommend one?

Also the placement of abilities does it start with Nothing then go to Attack, Defend etc?

Unfortunately, I haven't found a good Hex Editor that I was pleased with yet.

HxD = When you try to view it in 32-bit or 16-bit, you see the data in Big Endian order.
Windhex = Can only view the data in 8-bits.
Hex Editor Neo = I think this one must be paid for to use all the features... (Unless I confused it with some other editor.)
...and so on.

QuoteAlso the placement of abilities does it start with Nothing then go to Attack, Defend etc?
I think so.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

VanishMantle

I use Hex Editor Neo currently but I have also used Notepad ++ as well. As far as the order I managed to figure it out. It just takes counting to get the areas I would like change the values of.