News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Golden Sun Charity Marathon!

Started by Miva, 28, October, 2014, 10:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miva

Hello, hackers :)

Me and Sagie from Sunrise are going to do a Golden Sun marathon on Saturday for Extra Life.

Extra Life is like a gaming marathon to benefit Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. Last weekend, thousands of gamers worldwide played games for 24 hours to raise money for Extra Life: Save the Kids, all of which went to Children's Miracle Network Hospitals all around the world.

We are going to do our bit too: from 5am to 5pm CDT on Saturday (10am-10pm GMT) we will be racing to see which of us can complete the first Golden Sun game fastest. This is not a speed-run, we're just ordinary folks, but we'll be racing and trying to raise money for these kids.

Please consider donating to this cause, and checking out our race on Saturday. You can donate at the link below--the suggested donation is $1 an hour, so just $12. It's tax-deductible and all of it goes to the kids. You can also check out our Twitch stream when it goes live Saturday morning. We'll upload everything later too for anyone that misses it.

To donate see our Extra Life page,
To watch us on Saturday here is our Stream.

Even if you can't donate, please help us by sharing this info with everyone you know, especially other GS fans. We'd love it if you'd come watch our stream and cheer us on.

Mion Sonozaki

I'm sooo going to check this out!

Do you have a turbo controller? Might want to get one, for the prologue, since you will be mashing the B button to skip dialogue.

Miva

Great, I hope to see you there.

Actually we're skipping Vale and Sol Sanctum, for the sake of trying to get the rest done in 12 hours XD Or at least as much as we can.

Miva

We are planning to keep the fund raising going by tackling TLA in 6 hour bursts. This time we want more people to join us and stream along side. We also want to donate to a different cause and are discussing who.

If anyone is interested you can join the discussion here: http://s7.zetaboards.com/GoldenSunrise/topic/9196064/1/

Otherwise once everything is decided I'll swing by again to let you know.

Miva

We decided to raise money for Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Boarders) who are an independent humanitarian medical aid organisation. They are committed to providing medical aid where it is most needed, regardless of race, religion, politics or gender and also to raising awareness of the plight of the people they help. You might have heard more recently about the work they're doing fighting the Ebola outbreak.

The plan is to invite everyone to "run along" with us as we play Golden Sun: The Lost Age. We will be racing to beat the game in a number of 6 hour bursts. Starting on the 22nd of November from 9am-3pm CST (3pm-9pm GMT) though these times may change slightly.

We want as many people to play along side us (streaming if possible) as we can get. We ask that everyone taking part donates at least $5, but anyone can watch along even if you can't donate. We're going to have a big skype chat with everyone whose playing (streaming or not). Those that want to transfer data from GS1: we will be providing our passwords (approx. lvl 25), you can use your own, but for fairness' sake please do not use data with characters higher than level 30.

Also I've volunteered to go a bit further to thank donators: those that donate more than $10 (whether they participate or not) will be sent a specially designed thank you card along with stickers to commemorate your contribution (provided they are willing to give an address, which will not be used for anything else I swear).

If you want to take part please either pm me here or email goldensunriseadmin@gmail.com with the name you have/plan to donated under, you're twitch/skype account and an address if you want a thank card. We'll get you on the list and send you updates on this event including future dates. I personally promise if you email us we will not use your email for anything beyond the scope of this event.

I'll keep dropping by with updates as they come.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Quote(provided they are willing to give an address, which will not be used for anything else I swear).
You could also suggest Post Office Boxes (P.O. Box), if people feel too afraid to give home addresses... that way, I think your privacy can still be maintained... It might be possible to get the stuff in the PO Box to be re-directed to your home, but don't know, or don't remember what I read once. ; I think PO Boxes cost money, however.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Miva

Hmm, I wouldn't really know how to set that up, I could look into it, but there's the added issue of sending stuff abroad, I'm based in the UK.

QuoteI wouldn't really know how to set that up
Me neither, just thought it might be worth mentioning. Just in case. (Although, the pricing may make it a bit of an inconvenience. Not exactly sure of the prices, but this one shows it in the 3-digits in British Pound...)

QuoteI'm based in the UK.
I'm in the US.

Oh, found this: https://homelesslaw.wordpress.com/2008/03/25/is-the-post-office-obligated-to-deliver-mail-to-people-who-don%E2%80%99t-have-an-address/
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

Oh, this is really nice! I would definitely consider donating if I weren't broke. And having fun is definitely a good way to raise money for charity (and getting others in on the fun is even better). I might try to figure out this streaming business, but I'm going to be pretty busy for a while.

So yeah, I hope this charity event goes well!
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Miva

Even if you can't donate it would be great if you came and watched to support us, if you can.

If you need any help with streaming: I'm no expert, but I've worked out the basics.

Even if you can't join this 1st session one of us could always transfer our save file (we're streaming using the visual boy) and you might be able to join on a future week.

Neshi

I shared info here -> http://neshirys.tumblr.com/post/102447895031

Hey people, help and reblog it to make more people know about GS Charity Marathon!

Click for more info about Golden Sun Legends!

Miva

So just a reminder:

-This is happening on Saturday at 9am-3pm CST, if anyone wants help working out what time that is for you let me know.

-If you want to play then you should donate $5 between now and then and also let me know your twitch and skype accounts so we can add you.

-If anyone wants a thank you card please donate $10 any time in the lead up to the event, during or for the week after and some how get your address to me, via pm here would probably be easiest. (I'll try to circulate a mock up of the card later today)

-Please everyone: come and support us if you have time on the day, even if you can't donate.

So far we have 5 people who want to play, others are waiting to see if they'll be free, lots of people have shown support though and will be watching us.

To donate go here: https://www.justgiving.com/GoldenSunrise/
To watch on the day go here: multitwitch.tv/miva_sunrise/revyb

CST = Central Standard Time?

My time zone is EST (Eastern Standard Time), so for me, I'd probably add an hour? Whether I at least visit on the day, is unknown, but there's a likely chance I'll at least take a peek. Even if as a guest/not logged in.

QuoteTo donate go here: https://www.justgivi...m/GoldenSunrise
To watch on the day go here: http://multitwitch.t...a_sunrise/revyb
Links don't work.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Miva

Yeah it's +1 hour for you :D

Sorry about the links, I copy/pasted the post from another forum that shortened them, fixing now :)

I've done a mock up of what the thank you card might look like:

Front:

Inside:

If anyone wants to provide a cute GS picture to go inside the card please post it here or pm me. Sagie, who is better with the words will be telling me what to write inside soon XD

Any feedback is welcome.

Miva

10 people have signed up to run, I hope some of you can come and watch us!

It's not too late to sign up so let me know if you want to run.

http://www.twitch.tv/miva_sunrise/

GS picture... I dunno...

But if you need some inspiration, here's the old pic that was likely fan-made. (Only posting if it helps anyone with ideas.  I do not think this one should be used, though... The text being hidden behind the djinni doesn't help, anyway.)

I didn't make the image.

I posted the pic once in http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=1628.15 , and 3 people have responded positively to it. The image in the spoiler on the previous page doesn't pop up anymore, though. (They probably deleted it or something.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Miva

Lol it's pretty funny :D

I had a few people donate from deviant art so the card is looking more like this now:

Miva

The run went really well. We've made $280 so far, if anyone enjoyed watching, but didn't get around to donating: you can  click here to give. If you can, please consider giving to Doctors Without Boarders. They do amazing work, the doctors risk their lives go out to dangerous places and give what help they can.

As for the Run, we each made it to various stages, but the front runner was 'A Toxic Potato' who managed to make his way to fight the Aqua Hydra on the ship giving him access to the eastern Ocean. So big well done to him!

The second 6 hour stint of the run will take place on the 6th of December (2 weekends from now) and will be starting an hour later, that means 10am-4pm CST which is 4pm-10pm GMT.
The plan is for us to all begin again from the same point next run. This means runners need to catch up with 'A Toxic Potato' during the next too weeks. They will obtain Piers and the black orb, go to the ship, fight the Aqua Hydra and place the black orb in the ship: watch the resulting cut scene. And we'll all start here:

They'll record the time it takes them so the final leader board may look very different to how the race is going each session.

New runners: You can still join us! All you need to do is catch up with us: get to your ship between now and the 6th and donate $5. Please record the time it took you so we can add you to the results.
Some of the runners didn't pay for their run last time, so this time streams will not be advertised in the multitwitch and participants will not be part of the skype chat until they have donated. If you cannot pay for what ever reason please tell us your situation and perhaps we can work something out. (I should clarify that it's $5 for the whole thing, not per session, though obviously the more you give the better.)

Miva

(ooo loving the x'mas theme guys!)

I realize I wrote EST when I meant CST, so that's 10am-4pm CST. Sorry.

It's still not to late to sign up to play, but let me know asap. Even if you don't have a save file to start at the same place as us I can help you by sending my file.