News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

PM Capacity

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 19, January, 2016, 05:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

So I notice that this is set to 100 on each user... and that there are no posting limits in the forum topics themself.... So I was wondering if  there was any good reason for a low capacity, and whether it'd be increased or removed altogether. (I prefer removed.)

So... In 7 more messages, my inbox will be full... When it is, I'm thinking about just leaving it that way, and directing people to something like Skype. - I thinking I'm too lazy to actually save/delete the messages each time I get new PMs (Or just simply don't want to.), so I have a feeling if that becomes the only method, it'll probably not work out?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

leaf

Yeah, could we get this limit raised? A small limit makes a lot of sense for large forums, but... I don't think we're taking up a whole lot of space here.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Wonderful!
So what should it be raised to? (If it isn't removed?) 100*365 = 36500? (For leap years +(100/4), so make that 36525.) (Represents one message for each day, for 100 years.) - Hopefully nothing less than 1000, in any case.

Or should we pick from a number of other options?
-Measure by how much space it takes up? (Similar to how Google works, I believe.)
-Make it an hourly or daily use limit rather than all-time limit.
-Do a Promotions system that allows you to have a larger limit. (AKA: If user has 0 posts, they only have enough for 100 messages, if user has 1 post, they rank up and get 1000 messages. For sake of example.)
-Any other ideas I forgot to list.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Knight of Purgatory

Do we even need a PM cap?
MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES

Salanewt

Pretty sure it used to be limitless. I can see why there is a limit now (as far as site hosting/costs go I think), but 100 is pretty low given the user base here. I think a good compromise could be to increase it relative to how long an account has existed for and impose a slightly higher cap. Or on post count.

Like, I think I remember a time when I had almost 200 PMs stored up. Now I have under 20, and some of those are due for a good cleanup soon. For a while it was quite annoying to have the cap at 100 before I was ready or able to clean it out.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

@KOP: That's  sort of how I feel... Maybe a space limit for everything put together (And not just limited to PMs)... But other than that, the only real thing I can think of being useful is a "Don't post 2 messages in any ~5 second span." as to help avoid auto-posting abuse, or accidental re-submissions... but that would also been done in topic posts. -
In one way, I say that if topics don't have a limit, then why should PMs if they are pretty much the same? (But private.) Except they might be harder to moderate.
(If a limit was used, I'm hoping that 1k or more is enough to never be reached in the situation you do not PM very often, and you don't delete a single PM... except for your own Test/Note messages.)

*Checks email* Well, it does email you the message itself... Which I forgot to consider... Erm...
But the topic still stands...
-As email can have a lot of clutter and such... And it isn't a pretty UI, either. Even worse if BBCode is used, I think.
-A low number may encourage PMs not to be used by certain audiences. (Especially for people not thinking about email, or don't like to use it/go to it when on the forum.)

Hm? It was limitless at one point? That's nice to know.... I do feel like this 100 messages limit has been there for a long time, so it would be nice to know if Atrius has any idea when it was put on. Thanks in advance.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Kain

Not sure how or why (I lie, I'm pretty positive I know how and why) but I've changed it so all members have unlimited space.  Enjoy.
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

+1 - Thanks!

One trivial thing that is interesting to note is that now I can't tell how many messages I have right away. (Thinking "Inbox (93)") That doesn't matter much, though. (Can still do a quick calculation if I'm ever curious. 15* last page number.... to get the upper number.)

(I'll probably end up reading this stuff in the future and thinking they seem more dramatic than I ever intended them to be :( , but hopefully not.)

Edit: Also, congrats on your 500th post!
(Which reminds me, I'm still not half of Salanewt's post count... since I forget which post I had back at GSHC Classic (InvisionFree)... that discusses something about maybe catching up... and then somehow he gains a ton more. - Not that it is of any priority, but I'm still here on the run, though... and haven't given up. :P - Preferably without cheating, of course.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Knight of Purgatory

MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES