News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Image transforming

Started by Lord Wolfram, 19, June, 2017, 09:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Wolfram

So the other day I was talking with my Programming teacher and an idea came in my mind.
"Let's load image in game from the game's code."
So the idea follows - We take the image's data and transform it into HEX code. Then we write an array of each hex value for the image, then we load the image from Array into the game and we have our sprite.

Salanewt

Wait, so we load an image and then save the image to the game again?
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Lord Wolfram

Quote from: Dendrophiliafish_the_skull_licker_xxXXDx101XyeahbabyyeahxxXX on 19, June, 2017, 10:11:22 AM
Wait, so we load an image and then save the image to the game again?
Idea is that we don't have to have the image, we just have the HEX data of the image in game's code

Salanewt

It sounds like a cool idea, though I'm afraid I am still lost on the reason for doing this. Would you mind elaborating a bit?

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Lord Wolfram

Quote from: Dendrophiliafish_the_skull_licker_xxXXDx101XyeahbabyyeahxxXX on 19, June, 2017, 10:16:48 AM
It sounds like a cool idea, though I'm afraid I am still lost on the reason for doing this. Would you mind elaborating a bit?
I just came up with such idea, well some engines do not compress images etc. and hackers can easier MOD the game. This way they don't, AND if they were to edit your code, they would have to recompile it, and you can add uncompleted code there, which at first does nothing but serves as the defense system of the game, and we can punish the players for hacking

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

@ 1st post:  Yep. I do believe that is the way you do it.

@ Last post: I see it more as a way for hiding information / decluttering the user experience rather than anti-hack, but okay. (Maybe anti-hack for the inexperienced, though...) Closest I can think of to anti-hacking is a server+client approach that requires an internet connection. Any sensitive data (e.g. Save data) could stay on the server. (That being the server isn't on the player's machine, but the client connects to it.) But of course... if one is going to build a server+client thing... then there's the possible issue of DDOS and such... so, eh. It's never that simple.

Anyway... the client should only send input data like mouse clicks and keyboard presses... and receive image data/audio data.... in best case circumstances... but that's probably a lot of data, though... (graphics/audio), so probably not recommended. But if it was done... I recommend a small resolution (e.g. 240x160=0x9600 pixels)that could possibly be zoomed in to full screen. (So less data is sent across the internet than otherwise.) As for music... I'd say just send the audio file over to the user... As people will probably document it anyway. And less internet traffic=better.)
@My idea:  I can see its potential for a 4-player game, maybe... but a large MMO, probably not. - In that case, image caching would be the way to go, most likely.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Lord Wolfram

Quote from: Fox on 19, June, 2017, 10:43:19 AM
@ Last post: I see it more as a way for hiding information / decluttering the user experience rather than anti-hack, but okay. (Maybe anti-hack for the inexperienced, though...)

It's more of like a message, don't mess with this engine, I don't like what you're doing, I.E. Easter egg.

Salanewt

Wait, so you want the potential for a hacking community dedicated to hacking the game to make it harder to hack the game? :o

Or do you mean in general, like as a security feature for other games or sites?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

A message? Might as well spell out to them.... that you are the copyright holder/etc.

But anyway... in the situation where a program is not open-sourced... data/images that are stored outside the program can still be checked against a checksum/signature type thing... if they need not be edited by a user. If editing was the main concern and not necessarily exposure/etc. But that's more me just speaking of an alternative. (That is definitely not foolproof. But then again, neither method is.)

Now I wonder if it is possible to encrypt a file using certain built-in techniques... and make it so one's own program can decrypt it... but only into RAM. (Without actually grabbing any encryption related code yourself.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Luna_blade

Okay pretty nice.
But what kind of format are you going to use? I guess that would be the first step in this problem.

Now that I think about it, you might only need to specify a width for the image and then simply just load RGB values, which makes an extremely easy format.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"