News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

I'm new and I need help

Started by kylex16, 04, August, 2018, 03:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kylex16

Hello everyone! My online name is Kyle and I've been a fan of Golden Sun since 2007 (yeah, I was REALLY late to the party).

Anyways, I've attempted to use the hack editor but I keep getting some "external function" error when I run it. I'm not entirely sure if I installed it correctly or if I'm missing some sort of key piece.

If anyone could point me to instructions on installing/running the editor for the first time, that'd be great. Or even give tips or advice on what I should do or redo.

<3 <3

Misery

This is a seemingly random bug with the editor, I don't think anyone knows what causes it. Usually you can get rid of it by simply restarting your computer. With that, welcome and hope you have fun hacking!

Luna_blade

Welcome!

Sounds like some dll problem... Do you perhaps miss any of these or moved the editor executable?

It is in your interest if you could provide some more information about the problem...

First time running should be dead easy as far as I know. Unpack the thing and run. Gamemaker requires no external stuff most o f the time.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

I don't expect he can give any more "useful" information. (Unless you can think of specific questions?)  It is a common problem, anyway, and the main thing I can suggest is to restart your computer until it works.
Although, it could be worth deleting the gsdatahandler.dll file, so the editor can recreate it should there had been some glitch. (No idea.)
The DLL is just code stored outside the editor. The reason it is separate is because it was done in another language (C/C++ I believe.) due to Game Maker being too slow to do those things. So the error makes it sound that somehow Game Maker must have a problem at retrieving those functions/or whatever? (Which is strange.)

Some day, I hope I can find solutions that don't require restarting, but not sure how I'll figure that out.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Luna_blade

Well, the dll's could be marked as unsafe by an OS an thus be rendered useless.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

That is possible.
But seeing as I've gotten it before, it is also possible that that is not the case.
So... I guess we wait and see what he says about whether restarting worked or not?
I sometimes question if the DLL is opened without shared access, and that's why, but I really don't know. That doesn't make much sense in this case, though...  I have trouble thinking of why it is problematic. (I feel like the longer you have your computer on without restarting, the more likely the error may occur, though... so that must be a clue for something. Or either that's just me.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Majora

Had this problem recently and Teawater's suggestion did the trick, restarting your machine should help.

kylex16

Okay it started to work!! Restarting my computer seemed to have worked. Thanks everyone for the suggestions <3

ilikegoldensu

hi, how are you, man. I am as new as you. You are not alone.  :happy: :Felix: