News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Changing Palette Swaps in Battle

Started by Zach, 11, October, 2009, 03:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zach

Something I discovered (after reading Drick's topic, Changing Creatures Summoned With Trainer's Whip) regarding Palette Swaps. As it turns out, if a monster (who has another variation of it) uses it summon able form in battle, then it's palette will swap over to that variation's palette (but it will still keep it's moveset). Here's an example of it: In-game Palette Swap

EDIT: I did some more testing (but with the same monsters)
and I need to correct what I said. If a variant (or another monster) uses a healing summon able monster, then the variant (from what I've seen) will change to that healing spell. As an added bonus, they can even change into the damaging summon able monsters, if you set it to healing and Ally. However, your game CAN AND WILL FREEZE WITH CONSECUTIVE USE! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Video of the test:
Changing Sprites In-Battle Part 1
Changing Sprites In-Battle Part 2
Changing Sprites In-Battle Part 3
Changing Sprites In-Battle Part 4
Changing Sprites In-Battle Bonus Test

I will do 1 more test with monsters that cannot be summoned (or have a variant that cannot be summoned) to see if this only applies to monsters that can summoned (or variants that can be summoned). So far, it seems like it doesn't apply to non-summon able monster, but that will be determined with the next test.

EDIT 2: My theory was half way correct. Turns out, the first enemy in battle will be the one to change, however, if the enemy is not a variant, then it will freeze/crash the game

Ehic

That's interesting. Could think of any use for that or is it merely a cool glitch?

Zach

It probably is a glitch since it only shows the healing

Aile~♥

Is it possible to switch an enemy's sprite to that of a different enemy by having them summon that other enemy?
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Zach

I did some more testing (but with the same monsters) and it turns out, it changes with healing summons. However, if you change the damaging ones to healing and set it to Ally, then that variant will change to that summon. BUT consecutive use WILL FREEZE YOUR GAME!

EDIT: Yes, but at the moment, it seems to only work with the variants.

Aile~♥

Perhaps, if you set the effect to moveset-swapping for a boss, you could have the guy transform into the corresponding enemy's form, and switch to a different moveset accordingly.

Salanewt

Oh yeah, that would be neat. In fact, it looks like there are enough blank psynergies, so... I would give that a shot (maybe with Dullahan).

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Aile~♥

Ahh, but are there enough blank monster-summon psynergies?

Salanewt

I doubt it, but it might one day be possible to edit psynergy in almost any and every way.

I never realised how many things in Golden Sun are similar to Mario and Luigi.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Zach

Update: New tests have been done (and now i may have to reluctantly do another ¬.¬)

Aile~♥

You could change the animation that the summoned creature uses so that people don't look like they are getting hit when they get healed.

Charon

I don't think that's the problem though... It's probably something to do with the target.

Aile~♥

I know it's not the problem, it would just look better.

Rolina

I know, necropost, but shut up.  It's a legit question.

DOES THIS WORK WITH BUFFS?

If so...  We could have a monster that uses different colored forms for different "Modes" it takes.  Anger Mode gives it a Red colored variant, and raises attack while resetting other stats.  Hyper Mode makes it purple, and boosts agility while resetting other stats.  Calm Mode gives it a blue colored variant, and boosts luck while resetting other stats.  Cautious mode would be brown, and boost defense.

If this works with buffs, we could do Effect Only, Target Self, and have a set of effects we make for when it does this.  We could manipulate it so that the AI would only do this once a turn...  what do you think?