News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

The manual lies

Started by leaf, 31, December, 2010, 01:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leaf

So, when I first got the game, I decided to glance through the manual to see if there was anything that changed that I should be aware of before playing. I saw the weapon unleashes thing which I instantly thought was cool, but another thing I noticed was that it said that djinn are set back randomly after performing a summon. Wait... what? Random? Why would they do that, when they already had a great system in the first two games? Well, that prompted me to do some testing once I got a couple djinn. As it turns out, djinn work the same as they always have: whichever djinn are placed on standby first are the ones that are used in the summon and come out of recovery first. If using the standby all function, djinn are placed in standby from left to right (top to bottom in GS1+2), and then in order of the characters. I dunno if they did it on purpose, or if the person writing the manual just couldn't tell the difference, but it's pretty bad to get something like that wrong.

Since I guess this isn't much of a topic on its own, you could use this thread to talk about all the little stuff they got wrong in the game, or official material related to the game (e.g. the manual that comes with it). Like, I know I saw some typos in the game, too, but I can't remember what they were atm.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Awec

I haven't noticed any typos in my game... Odd.
I'll have to check more closely on next playthrough.
I. Am. A. Spoon.
Yes, a spoon that is awesome that is a Jupiter adept that is one of the Anemos that lives on the freaking moon.
What of it?

Frog

Other than "Blados used an herb." I didn't notice any typo's in the game...
Not on too often, but I'm still here!

Rolina

Yeah, the US manual is HORRIBLE.  Get the players guide, if nothing else so that you actually have a map.

leaf

Quote from: Frog on 31, December, 2010, 04:43:27 AM
Nah, I'm pretty sure that's intentional. I thought it was a little weird at first, since sometimes the unimportant items are capitalized and sometimes they're not, but it seems the convention they use is whenever the item name is used standalone, it's capitalized, and otherwise it's lowercase, which actually makes quite a bit of sense. They also changed it to say "I'll give you Themis' Axe" instead of "I'll give you a Themis' Axe." Anyway, I'll have to note down the typos I find when I go back through on hard mode.

[spoiler=quotes]
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Charon

At least they finally managed to get the names of the djinn right this time. >_>

ChrisButton

Quote from: Charon the Ferryman on 01, January, 2011, 03:22:01 PM
At least they finally managed to get the names of the djinn right this time. >_>
If you don't mind me asking, which names weren't right?

Charon

In the Lost Age manual, they said there were mars djinn named "Axel", "Guts" "Chili" and "Turbo". Ouch.

And I'm pretty sure in the original game's manual they had a bunch of mistakes on the djinn names...

EDIT: "Burn" the Mars djinn, several psynergy names incorrect...

ChrisButton

Oh man, LOL. When I was a child I never really read game booklets, I just liked to skip through the pages looking
for character portraits and stuff. That explains why my attention wasn't so close to detail. Good find!  :heart:

Aile~♥

But there is a Mars Djinni named Chili! In Dark Dawn, anyway. XP
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Charon

Remember when manuals had "notes" pages? Like, what was up with that? Any game that required you to write notes was just stupid XD

I guess it'd be useful for the Otka Caves though o.o

ChrisButton

I don't like to write in my game booklets, but I suppose if I had to, I would write djinn that I've encountered
and cannot reach until later in the game when I can come back with a power so I don't forget. Or maybe sketch
a little map or something. Still, I wouldn't do that - I have paper. ^-^

leaf

Found another error. And this time, I remembered to note it down! At one point, if you try to leave belinsk, you're asked a yes/no question. You can't leave either way, but they switched the answers!

And seconding the "notes" pages being utterly worthless.
[spoiler=quotes]
---
---
---
---
---
---

MaxiPower

Quote from: Frog on 31, December, 2010, 04:43:27 AM

That's not a typo. When a word has a silent starting letter an can be used

Herb is in some places pronounced "erb"

just like saying its been an hour since I had a shower or something... that rule goes out the window

Salanewt

Essentially. Anyway, I have noticed that they sometimes have errors when using apostrophes or for words that sound like they require double letters.

Notes are definitely useless. That could change if a game does not offer a map as you play, but one could just slip a piece of paper into their manual if necessary.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?