News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Maxi Gallery of Custom Images (new stuff)

Started by MaxiPower, 25, February, 2011, 03:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxiPower

Bam

Update on my world map with some 10 HQ images if anyone's interested in seeing how its coming along. Ive done more on it this week than I have in the last year on working on it lol, Im on fire tbh... Its 8.47am I need sleep lol :}

Alpine will be the starting point in the hero Oscar's quest.

Island has to be cleaned up

Note Salanewt's Custom Location Icon
island has to be given more detail

That sprite recolour is an eyesore and will be replaced

and finally a quick screenshot of how its looking from zoomed out perspective

Note: Some Islands have to be moved / Finished / deleted etc

Today ive...
- Decided on the locations of all lighthouses
- Decided on the locations of all Rocks
- Finished the outside of the world (gaia falls thing) / well it still has to be cleaned up which will take a few hours.
- Restructed some locations to suit story

Note Role's Custom Psyngery Icons x2

Kain

I've never fully played the games but...this looks suspiciously familiar.
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Wei, Wu and Shu? Weren't they some damn old Chinese kingdoms or something?

I think Dynasty Warriors was based off of that time thingy.

Rolina

I think he's referring to how it's way too close to the original games.  Even for a fanwank parallel world, that is.

MaxiPower

Yea lol Shu, Wei and Wu were indeed the three kingdoms during that time... and Jin is the period that came after thus the temple in my story is were the characters passing through Jin Temple will hear of a tale of a summon that is in myth to lie there near there... if the character follows the right path, the character will descend from the north exit and from there is a cave in which a summon lies.

and to you's saying the map looks familiar... meh... thats the direction my fan story took, so consistency for me is the most important factor. with a right balance of new stuff and what people are used to IE the locations I used deep down is what fans want. Imagine a Golden Sun fan game with no lighthouses? (can you imagine it cause I cant (i didnt take the obvious and say oh here light the lighthouses... :/ then taking my story into consideration I purposely set out to give reason why their would be similarities on both lands) Went into why the lighthouses were built, why they were sealed, who sealed them, why the 2 lands hate each other, down to detail of why some proixans are present in Lucere (SM) taking nibets of what was expressed in the retail game and trying to implement it into story IE The Moon, Anemos, Ankolian (sp) Yea i took ideas from other games, but i can safely say it was merely ideas and throwbacks to some games even... sadly, if I was a paid story designer with people to work with then maybe I could come up with something more original but im not, im one guy who wants to complete a story that I started (in my head) maybe lol 6-7 years ago (yea that long),... a story that if one looks at deeply will find it simply isnt soooo fanwank as it seems (to some extent it is yea but then again, any person creating fan story over a game is a nerd right? even considering it makes one a loser.... maybe, maybe not quite frankly ima gut that doesn't give a toss (yea first 10 or so chapetrs were trash but meh i was learning techniques). Im trying to add past and present events to merge a story of GS and a history (made up into one plot which is actually very deep.... but then again its a carbon copy thus its cant have any appealing attributes :/

cliche meh, all about balance, we all hate that film that is.... "knew what would happen boring" but theres 2 type of cliche theres cliche and novelty cliche were you do things because it sparks a memory with the viewer thus they go "thinking that could of happened", they didnt know for sure but it was in there head all along and so they feel like yea i knew it was possible whilst watching and when it did happen it made them feel good as if they were designed it, its what they more than likey would have done. Not many people are like that but  me all over.

I suppose I could lose points for not being original but meh were would that leave me? I suppose I could still be deciding over what characters to use when I have no idea on the object of the story is (really gooood story design - sarcasm detection) and whether the main character was even male or female. Im not a game designer nor am I trying to be one lol just trying to get something that isnt "another"  incomplete fan project thats not gonna happen as folks seem to dream toooo much, talk tooo much and accomplish.... sooooo little out there and I dont care how many "tropes" i have to go through. ive seen enough movies and played enough games to know what is over the boarder for too much and knowing what is the maximum for raping a game's ides basically for spiring interest in a little known idea. Like I said before< i like and need consistency for this anywahy to get it done, the moment i stop using that as the ultimate base of this paticluer project is the moment the project fails as it in this instance goes away from the style im going for. haha Dont get me wrong I actually done a course in story design when I done my first Year in a game development course (i dropped out second year as programming got way over my head) and have baisc grade in it lol so if i wanted to be original I would be.

Im gonna be honest If My GSC was totally original then it would have like 100 views and no one one give a crap about it, how I know that fact is not a mystery, a dude on youtube blatantly copied my style of video, even the name Golden Sun Chronicles's he used lol and music for intro and layout and timing... allll the same (he even was messaging me for advice which I offered), fair play to him, he didnt try to create sprites tho but indeed went original in the story and well it didnt get over a 100 views... right now its on 26 views for a 6+ month old video.

Ive never done anything thats really every had a wow factor but that was a first time to have someone try and imitate something I done, not a big achievement but a small "cool"... 1 fan 100 fans, all the same, in for a penny, in for a pound is and old expression were im from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN74rsZwRHI (proof)

meh fanwank or not fanwank, i said it before and ill say it again so before I hear any more smirk remarks on what something may or may not be, this current planning on creating this community fan hack is not gonna work., until you get someone who is prepared to be the backbone of it, and until people wake up smell the bacon and see a its not gonna work with ideas coming from everywere as it comes from everywere it gets gets funneled down into trash not because there bad ideas but because there different styles and that simply that doesnt mix. That idea died when the the project was stated to be community and not have any whatsoever lead design behind it lol, seriously potential is there, Its time someone executes

just saying, Role you in particular expect toooo much from tooo little resources.

Finally regardless what people think I do plan to make a fan rom hack down the line and this is a very rough yet sharper on the planning i see before me here., I know that some alterations on it have to be made to meet what is capable in the editor but I have it planned that the "fan game" will expand 2 GBA roms
Altering between through the two worlds IE Felix, and Company to Oscar, Sakum and so on (I believe that could be pulled of)

Salanewt

I have to say, I really like those maps Maxi. The world map looks somewhat incomplete to me, but I like how it looks so far. The palette swaps on some of the sprites look nice too. I see some familiar sprites in there as well, and I like how they have been used as well. Overall, I think that you have done well.

Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

I understand the lighthouses, but the Rocks?  Couldn't you have created something else for their parallels?

MaxiPower

Quote from: Role on 27, February, 2011, 03:04:57 PM
I understand the lighthouses, but the Rocks?  Couldn't you have created something else for their parallels?

fair enough I suppose, to late now tho :/ :happy:

anyhow some more images

City of Birds (not act bird people but birds are everywere (named so because lies north of Pluto Lighthouse and south of Kona, All seemingly pluto aligned adepts in these places

Note: Sala's Sprite

Mt, Tremor has been an active Volcano for years and the reason behind it is because of Terra rock close by which is causing the quakes thus its name. The Village of Maylay consists of many Saturn and Uranus adepts due to the heat and particles of the rock.

Rolina

I see that Falaj is a blatant Karagol Sea knockoff...

Salanewt

I like them, and I like how you used the volcano too. As for Falaj, are you planning on having two or more ports?
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

MaxiPower

Quote from: Salanewt on 28, February, 2011, 03:41:13 PM
I like them, and I like how you used the volcano too. As for Falaj, are you planning on having two or more ports?

Yea man im making well use of them sprites you were making :D ;D :D, there will be three ports, the other is northwestern side of it, storywise the third port is under construction thus cannont be gotten to until the character obviously gets there by foot then will conviently offer, if nothing else but offer faster travel back to first and second ports rather than having to traverse the Plateus on the eastern part of the continent and several caves etc.

Yea its a knockoff in a way i guess lol

Rolina

So you do see that it's a knockoff?  That's good.  You see, the problem here isn't that you're trying to make a parallel, it's just that it's a bit... too close.  You need a more wide variety of things, y'know?

MaxiPower

Gotcha..

btw im open to ideas if theres anything in particluer that you have in mind

Rolina

Well for starters, you could try to make your own sprites for these places.  And I mean sensible ones, too:  That looks NOTHING like a volcano.

But more importantly, DON'T JUST BLATANTLY RIP OFF THE ORIGINAL GAME.  The blatant knockoffs of the Karagol Sea and the Rocks have to go.  Some of your ideas are kind of interesting, though, such as the nod to the three kingdoms.  But again, try something different with the sprites.

MaxiPower

Quote from: Role on 01, March, 2011, 01:03:48 AM
Well for starters, you could try to make your own sprites for these places.  And I mean sensible ones, too:  That looks NOTHING like a volcano.

But more importantly, DON'T JUST BLATANTLY RIP OFF THE ORIGINAL GAME.  The blatant knockoffs of the Karagol Sea and the Rocks have to go.  Some of your ideas are kind of interesting, though, such as the nod to the three kingdoms.  But again, try something different with the sprites.

Honestly, I cant make sprites, no matter how hard I try, they always look absolute balls

oh and yea anything thats made it into video thus far must stay,

oh yea for the lol

Rolina

Quote from: MaxiPower on 01, March, 2011, 01:05:38 AM
Well for starters, you could try to make your own sprites for these places.  And I mean sensible ones, too:  That looks NOTHING like a volcano.

But more importantly, DON'T JUST BLATANTLY RIP OFF THE ORIGINAL GAME.  The blatant knockoffs of the Karagol Sea and the Rocks have to go.  Some of your ideas are kind of interesting, though, such as the nod to the three kingdoms.  But again, try something different with the sprites.

Honestly, I cant make sprites, no matter how hard I try, they always look absolute balls

How do I put this...

Right now, it looks like a silly fanfic.  What you want is a good fanfic.  As such, what you don't want is people looking at the early stages, seeing obvious knockoffs, and just writing the whole thing off as crap.  If you're not good at spriting, keep at it.  You'll get better with time.  As you make changes, update the videos to match.  You'll want to do this, because my first impressions on this are not good at all - as you improve, you're going to want to fix that.  As you reshape this thing to be better and better, reflect it in the videos so that other people don't have the same negative first impressions.

In fanfiction, which is what our doujin games are, just glorified fanfiction, it's the first chapter or two that's the make or break moment.  If it screams knockoff, they'll bash you and never return.  If it's starts off looking like it's gonna be interesting, then the opposite it true - they'll sing your praises and be hooked.  First impressions are 70% of what you're trying to do.  The last 30% is making sure it stays good.  Nobody wants to read twelve chapters of garbage just so they can start reading the gem, you know?

MaxiPower

Quote from: Role on 01, March, 2011, 01:24:20 AM
Quote from: MaxiPower on 01, March, 2011, 01:05:38 AM

How do I put this...

Right now, it looks like a silly fanfic.  What you want is a good fanfic.  As such, what you don't want is people looking at the early stages, seeing obvious knockoffs, and just writing the whole thing off as crap.  If you're not good at spriting, keep at it.  You'll get better with time.  As you make changes, update the videos to match.  You'll want to do this, because my first impressions on this are not good at all - as you improve, you're going to want to fix that.  As you reshape this thing to be better and better, reflect it in the videos so that other people don't have the same negative first impressions.

In fanfiction, which is what our doujin games are, just glorified fanfiction, it's the first chapter or two that's the make or break moment.  If it screams knockoff, they'll bash you and never return.  If it's starts off looking like it's gonna be interesting, then the opposite it true - they'll sing your praises and be hooked.  First impressions are 70% of what you're trying to do.  The last 30% is making sure it stays good.  Nobody wants to read twelve chapters of garbage just so they can start reading the gem, you know?

I appreciate what your trying to tell me, but I need to get this fan fiction out of the way first as it is. I understand that the first 12 chapters or so were prob indeed garbage lol but there's nothing I can do now about that, i had one out every two days at that stage which turned to months between them as i took my time with them and sprites etc caught up to me, then i started paying people for Sprites and Avaters lol :O, 25 dollars for matching Sakum sprites and avater... pure wops, thankfully Sala provided me with few sprites :D, i do feel the last few episodes as it is now have been it at its peak. started even adding emotes in, and everything is more polished

I would love to start again and have the quality there from the start,  but meh there are people who do like it so far and ill keep it going for them alone if need be, getting PMed from dif folks demanding MOAR is quite a good feeling

meh if and when I do get this done, I will look into starting something totally original and will be better then to start fresh. I may even go back and recreate the first chapters to bring it up to a more similar level also

Kain

You paid money for Sprite work and Avatars?!  What is this I don't even...
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

MaxiPower

Quote from: Overlord Kain on 01, March, 2011, 01:59:54 AM
You paid money for Sprite work and Avatars?!  What is this I don't even...

lol how desperate I am for them

Rolina

Paying money I can see.  Paying that much?!

Not just that, but... PLEASE tell me they didn't also make the portraits, because those portraits still look nothing like GS portraits.